• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me with this build.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Okay folks, I have a 4th level human psychic warrior that has just got enough exp. to level. I am the only tank in the party and really need to max out my damage dealing and recieving potential. Current ability scores are STR 16 DEX 13 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 14 CHA 8. Current powers are combat prescience : defensive, body adjustment, metaphysical weapon, and vigor. Current feats are dodge, improved initiative, mobility, power attack, and psionic weapon. I'm leaning towards adding barbarian levels for some serious rage + power attack + psionic weapon (on first atttack in combat anyways) smackdown. I'd also considered mixing fighter and psychic warrior levels for some serious feat action. Anyways, any feat, class, power, or prestige class suggestions would be appreciated.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Skip Barbarian. Go either Fighter and/or Hexblade. (Unless you're good, then just fighter)

Fighter has the same HD, same BAB just not any of the other stuff Psychic Warrior has.

Dual classing (as it were) between the two should be enough. If you want, go either Dervish or Tempest, as you'll dish out serious damage in either. (Course I favor two weapon fighting but that's me)

Get stuff to max out your Str and Con, keep decent armor but no heavier than medium. Dragonscale Armor is a safe bet

Also consider, later on, investing in a size increase so you can gain the ability to use large weapons as exotics or at least scythes in two hands.

Just a few ideas.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I can see your point for fighter/psychic warrior, but I'm confused as to why hexblade is a good choice with and 8 charisma. Possibly for the Wil save boost and mettle? Dervish and tempest are out because Dex and Int are too low. It seems to me that a couple of barbarian levels plus the extra rage feat would give me more bang for the buck than fighter levels. I think I've decided to go PsW 9/Brb11 (assuming ability to reach 20th level). Are there any compelling reasons to take a different path?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Frankly, I get the heebie-jeebies when multiclassing any core class that has spellcasting.

That said, if you must, go with the Barbarian. The extra 10' of move will stack nicely with some of your PsiWar feats.

Thanee

First Post
Psychic Warrior all the way. Your powers will get better and better with more duration and some can be activated as a free action later, and the basic stats (BAB, HP, bonus feats and stuff) ain't so bad either. There is really very little point in multiclassing.

Bye
Thanee

Voadam

Legend
Improved toughness (from complete Warrior) as a feat for more tank hp?

Greater psionic weapon when you can for that great +4d6 first blow, recoverable on a move action.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Biggie,

My reason is purely the fact that Barbarian PCs (even multi-classed ones) die a lot. At least in the games I've played in. (Note, I don't believe I've run that many barb characters but there you are.)

I can understand not wanting to water down Psionic power/casting but the fact is Psychic Warrior isn't about spellcasting, it's about fighting with spellcasting as a secondary source.

Shazam,

My reasoning for that path is two fold:

The Hexblade part is primary, yes the Will saves. That plus Mettle along with increasing your Cha to make a kind of "dark" character with special skills seems to be a nice way to rip as well as run.

Just going fighter is certainly an option and ignoring my other advice is fine. I'm just saying if it was me, and I wanted a memorable build (not necessarily the most powerful) that might be a consideration for me. Of course sticking with Psychic Warrior is probably best overall as you'll keep your psionic powers at an optiimium level and still not lose out that greatly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My $0.02:

I agree that you'd get more out of Ftr than Brb. Some feats, like Weapon Specialization are Fighter only.

Personally, I also like Soulknives. Something about never being disarmed...

And, while you're at it, consider the PrCls Pyrokinetic (4 levels gets you Weapon afire, 2 levels gets you Fiery Bolts), or the Suel Arcanomach.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
You all raise good points. There is a certain appeal to having tons of feats. I mainly took psychic warrior, so I could be more self-reliant, and no thave to depend so much on magic items and other PC's for buffs and healing so much, but i'm not that impresed with psychic warrior powers past 4th level and am feeling the loss of BAB and hp. So fighter levels might be the way to go. Could be a very cool, ultimate blademaster type PC. Thanks for everyone's input.

Remove ads