D&D 5E Help me with this campaign concept: When Chaos Wins the War...

BookTenTiger

He / Him
On a long walk yesterday I came up with a concept for a homebrew campaign world. I would love some help coming up with ideas for it! Feel free to swing big, I'd love for this to be a collaborative creation.

When Chaos Wins the War...

This campaign takes place after a great war between the Gods of Law and the Gods of Chaos. At the end of the war, Chaos won. The Lawful gods were banished to the Material Plane, and now the chaotic gods have supreme rule over the divine spheres.

The world is now divided into stark territories of Law and Chaos. The minority of the land belongs to Lawful peoples. The rest is utter chaos.

What I'm picturing are big, fortified cities attempting to hold off the chaos. Everything outside the walls is wild: fey, demons, aberrations... The rules just don't apply. A tree may suddenly produce daggers instead of apples and fling them at a passerby. A lucky dog is worshipped as a king by a band of faeries, and anyone he grows at is executed as a traitor. A tornado that sings like an angelic choir rips through the land, but leaves behind a trail of golden coins.

Here are some "campaign truths" I have come up with so far:

1. Bedfellows Beyond Good and Evil

"Good" and "Evil" as alignments are not that important in this campaign. There are, of course, good actions and evil actions, but this world is much more focused on law vs chaos. Due to Chaos winning the war, cultures and creatures aligned to Law were forced to band together. And now that they're the minority, they have to keep working together even if their motivations clash. This means you might have a city of Lawful Evil Vampires and Lawful Good Celestials ruled over by a Lawful Neutral Androsphinx.

However, I'm not sure what this looks like outside of the Lawful Cities! Would it be more interesting for Chaotic Evil Slaads to be working with Chaotic Good Djinnis? Or would it be more exciting to have these forces of Chaos squabbling over their newly won territories?

2. Gods of Law Banished to the Mortal World

When they lost the war against chaos, the surviving Gods of Law were banished to the mortal world. I imagine they are still immortal but vastly reduced in power. Some now rule over fortified cities, some are worshipped (and pampered) in large, lavish temples, and yet others retreated to isolation in order to meditate or lick their wounds.

I like the idea of the characters interacting with these gods, having to deal with their bruised egos or even working side-by-side with a god to accomplish a goal.

3. The Cities of Law are Falling

Most of the world is now seething chaos. But standing as a bulwark against this maelstrom are the Cities of Law. They are safe havens for those aligned to Law, storehouses for knowledge and craft, and they are falling. One by one the cities of Law crumble in the face of chaos. Some have been taken over by Demons, others have succumbed to the chaos of politics and factionalism. Only a few fortified cities remain.

As mentioned above, I love the idea of these cities housing very different kinds of peoples and creatures. What about a city ruled by a Lawful Good Bronze Dragon and a Lawful Evil Green Dragon, whose citizens are Azers and Kobolds. Once bitter enemies, they now have to work together to keep their city strong against the forces of a Chaotic Evil Red Dragon and his force of Satyrs and Hags.

Here are some big questions I have:

Who are the characters?

Do the characters need to be aligned with either Law or Chaos? Could they be agents that travel between?

Why do the Cities of Law need Chaos?

I think it would be interesting if there was a resource the Cities of Law needed from the Forces of Chaos. And maybe the same reversed?

How could the focus on Law and Chaos effect game mechanics?

Would spells or magic items be impacted? What if everything were aligned with Law or Chaos, even normal equipment like swords and ropes?

Anyways, I'd love your ideas for this campaign world! Think big! What would be fun about it? What would you add to it?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
On a long walk yesterday I came up with a concept for a homebrew campaign world. I would love some help coming up with ideas for it! Feel free to swing big, I'd love for this to be a collaborative creation.

When Chaos Wins the War...

This campaign takes place after a great war between the Gods of Law and the Gods of Chaos. At the end of the war, Chaos won. The Lawful gods were banished to the Material Plane, and now the chaotic gods have supreme rule over the divine spheres.

The world is now divided into stark territories of Law and Chaos. The minority of the land belongs to Lawful peoples. The rest is utter chaos.

What I'm picturing are big, fortified cities attempting to hold off the chaos. Everything outside the walls is wild: fey, demons, aberrations... The rules just don't apply. A tree may suddenly produce daggers instead of apples and fling them at a passerby. A lucky dog is worshipped as a king by a band of faeries, and anyone he grows at is executed as a traitor. A tornado that sings like an angelic choir rips through the land, but leaves behind a trail of golden coins.

Here are some "campaign truths" I have come up with so far:

1. Bedfellows Beyond Good and Evil

"Good" and "Evil" as alignments are not that important in this campaign. There are, of course, good actions and evil actions, but this world is much more focused on law vs chaos. Due to Chaos winning the war, cultures and creatures aligned to Law were forced to band together. And now that they're the minority, they have to keep working together even if their motivations clash. This means you might have a city of Lawful Evil Vampires and Lawful Good Celestials ruled over by a Lawful Neutral Androsphinx.

However, I'm not sure what this looks like outside of the Lawful Cities! Would it be more interesting for Chaotic Evil Slaads to be working with Chaotic Good Djinnis? Or would it be more exciting to have these forces of Chaos squabbling over their newly won territories?

2. Gods of Law Banished to the Mortal World

When they lost the war against chaos, the surviving Gods of Law were banished to the mortal world. I imagine they are still immortal but vastly reduced in power. Some now rule over fortified cities, some are worshipped (and pampered) in large, lavish temples, and yet others retreated to isolation in order to meditate or lick their wounds.

I like the idea of the characters interacting with these gods, having to deal with their bruised egos or even working side-by-side with a god to accomplish a goal.

3. The Cities of Law are Falling

Most of the world is now seething chaos. But standing as a bulwark against this maelstrom are the Cities of Law. They are safe havens for those aligned to Law, storehouses for knowledge and craft, and they are falling. One by one the cities of Law crumble in the face of chaos. Some have been taken over by Demons, others have succumbed to the chaos of politics and factionalism. Only a few fortified cities remain.

As mentioned above, I love the idea of these cities housing very different kinds of peoples and creatures. What about a city ruled by a Lawful Good Bronze Dragon and a Lawful Evil Green Dragon, whose citizens are Azers and Kobolds. Once bitter enemies, they now have to work together to keep their city strong against the forces of a Chaotic Evil Red Dragon and his force of Satyrs and Hags.

Here are some big questions I have:

Who are the characters?

Do the characters need to be aligned with either Law or Chaos? Could they be agents that travel between?

Why do the Cities of Law need Chaos?

I think it would be interesting if there was a resource the Cities of Law needed from the Forces of Chaos. And maybe the same reversed?

How could the focus on Law and Chaos effect game mechanics?

Would spells or magic items be impacted? What if everything were aligned with Law or Chaos, even normal equipment like swords and ropes?

Anyways, I'd love your ideas for this campaign world! Think big! What would be fun about it? What would you add to it?

Interesting concept. I think alignment works best if the setting really leans into the idea.

As far as "campaign truth" #1: I would have the forces of Law set aside their ethical differences, whereas Chaos splinters into smaller factions. Law would do this out of necessity. Chaos, on the other hand, has won; so they can afford to splinter into smaller groupings. I think this would create opportunities for players to play factions off of each other. Kind of like Caves of Chaos, but on a much grander scale. Also I think this would give reason for law good & evil characters to join together without wanting to murder each other.

I'm assuming that players would be Lawful, which I understand is a huge assumption. But that's my two cents anyway.

Maybe it's more like a solar system during formation: frequent and random collisions - instead of asteroids/planetoids that crash into each other, it's factions and cities that clash and very frequently switch alliances and enemies.

Meanwhile the lawful ones wonder what the heck. One day the neighboring tribe is friendly, the next moment they are attacking, and then seem to forget all about it and literally pack up and move away, only to be replaced by another random tribe.

Maybe the Chaos doesn't have to be chaotic on a personal level, where you can get stabbed at every street corner? I'm afraid that if you make it lawful/chaotic on a personal level, it's just like the demons vs devils, except with other creatures.

Not 100% what you are looking for but I would check out this module:

Stormonu

Legend
You might be able to yank some ideas from GW's Age of Sigmar - it is a universe of multiple shattered realms where Chaos "won" and the forces of Law (Sigmar and his Stormcast) are trying to reclaim the various realms.

As for what Law might need - Magic, of course. An utterly Lawful realm is devoid of magic, because magic breaks the "laws" of physics.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Interesting concept. I think alignment works best if the setting really leans into the idea.

As far as "campaign truth" #1: I would have the forces of Law set aside their ethical differences, whereas Chaos splinters into smaller factions. Law would do this out of necessity. Chaos, on the other hand, has won; so they can afford to splinter into smaller groupings. I think this would create opportunities for players to play factions off of each other. Kind of like Caves of Chaos, but on a much grander scale. Also I think this would give reason for law good & evil characters to join together without wanting to murder each other.

I'm assuming that players would be Lawful, which I understand is a huge assumption. But that's my two cents anyway.

Maybe it's more like a solar system during formation: frequent and random collisions - instead of asteroids/planetoids that crash into each other, it's factions and cities that clash and very frequently switch alliances and enemies.

Meanwhile the lawful ones wonder what the heck. One day the neighboring tribe is friendly, the next moment they are attacking, and then seem to forget all about it and literally pack up and move away, only to be replaced by another random tribe.

Maybe the Chaos doesn't have to be chaotic on a personal level, where you can get stabbed at every street corner? I'm afraid that if you make it lawful/chaotic on a personal level, it's just like the demons vs devils, except with other creatures.
I really like these ideas about Chaos!

Rather than having the factions of Chaos always be aggressive, I like the idea that they are just unknowable. Yesterday the unicorns came and blessed our crops. Today they stabbed Farmer Joe to death. Tomorrow they'll be replaced by a band of goblin warlocks.

This would also allow player characters to be from Chaotic origins. If not every Chaotic faction is antagonistic, some characters could come from friendlier Chaotic regions and still make their way into cities.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
You might be able to yank some ideas from GW's Age of Sigmar - it is a universe of multiple shattered realms where Chaos "won" and the forces of Law (Sigmar and his Stormcast) are trying to reclaim the various realms.

As for what Law might need - Magic, of course. An utterly Lawful realm is devoid of magic, because magic breaks the "laws" of physics.
Oh now this is interesting!!!

As a result of the war, Chaos "won" the domain of magic. These Cities of Law are safe and predictable, but magic can only be cast at great cost.

I love the idea of a city with devils and beholders who can't use magic.

Adventurers could be sent out into the Chaotic Wilds to bring back wild magic, used as a resource by the Cities of Law.

Stormonu

Legend

I'm seeing vibes of Wonderland, taking to an even greater extreme.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Here's an idea for the Pantheon...

Gods of Law and Chaos

The Gods of Law and Chaos would be based on the division between inside the walls and outside the walls. Law is the domain of those inside the walls. Chaos belongs outside the walls.

In ages past, both the gods of Law and Chaos were worshipped by many people. But now the Gods of Chaos won the great war, and the Gods of Law have been banished to the mortal world.

Gods of the Wall

The Gods of Law are also known as Gods of the Wall. They are frequently depicted standing side by side, protecting their worshippers from the wild forces of Chaos.

Some Gods of the Wall include...

Tenhands

A commoner's god, Tenhands is the god of labor and the crafting trades. He is depicted as a bearded man with ten hands; sometimes connected to ten muscular arms, other times floating about his person. He often holds various tools used in carpentry, masonry, and smithing.

Since the fall of the lawful gods, Tenhands has retreated to an isolated mountain monastery, where he and his worshippers seek to build the perfect city.

Inkwell, Lord of Quills

Inkwell is a cunning devil who rose to godhood through use of his intellect and a cold iron quill used to bind devils and angels alike to unwavering contracts. He is the god of laws, contracts, and scholarship. His symbol is an iron feathered quill with a drop of ink; often colored to represent his different aspects. A drop of black ink is used to represent scribes, gold ink to represent landowners, and blood red ink to represent lawyers.

Since the fall of the lawful gods, the Lord of Quills has become an advisor to a long line of sovereigns in a major City of Law.

Houndsheart

Houndsheart is a goddess of guards and gates, a protector who walks the walls and gives strength to those who stand against the Chaos. He is a straight-backed woman in armor and helm, in one hand a spear, and in the other a number of leashes holding fast her guard dogs. She is called upon for bravery against the darkness, to tame temperamental beasts, and to keep doors shut against outside forces.

Since the fall of the lawful gods, Houndsheart has been traveling the land with her faithful dogs, testing the defenses of the Cities of Law.

Wildering Gods

The Wildering Gods are those who align to Chaos. They are many, for they represent all that exists outside the walls, in deep forests and dark caves and amongst the stars. The most powerful Wildering Gods are known as the Faces of Chaos, each represented by a strong emotion and worshipped by many different creatures.

Unlike the Gods of Law, the Gods of Chaos exist in the many heavens, hells, and planes beyond. However, their actions and whims affect the mortal world, and some even choose to visit.

Oromoro the Mourner

Oromoro is a god of weather, song, and death. He is represented as a great black bird with the head of a wolf, tears streaming from his eyes, mouth open in a long, sorrowful howl. Those who worship Oromoro are granted power over the winds and rain, the ability to charm a mortal through song, and the knowledge of how to speak with the dead.

Oromoro's influence is like a vast shadow passing over the land. Beneath this shadow, the rains are merciless, the wind carries a maddening call, and weaker souls die of minor illnesses or overwhelming sadness. Those who survive the maelstrom often find themselves inspired to create great works of art depicting epic tragedies.

Teerah the Laughing Child

Teerah is a god of trickery, change, and dreams. She appears as a young dryad with skin of bark, hair of leaves, and eyes of brightly-colored poppies. Her fingers end in the long, sharp talons of a bird of prey. Those who worship Teerah are granted the ability to conjure illusions, travel through dreams, and cause plants to grow, whither, or transform into other species or materials.

Teerah's influence is often found in forests, where the very trees worship her and laugh at travelers. It is never known if those who follow Teerah will provide passersby with foods and medicines, trick them into eating rotten or poisoned fruit, or simply kill them as tribute to their laughing goddess.

Whiteshadow, the Wounding Horse

Whiteshadow is a god of travel, war, and vengeance. He is depicted as a white-flanked unicorn whose horn has been replaced by a steel saber. It is said that Whiteshadow was a mortal unicorn whose horn was taken by one of the Gods of the Wall. In his quest for vengeance, Whiteshadow learned the magics of immortality and breached the territory of the gods, becoming a deity himself. Those who worship Whiteshadow gain the ability to travel to distant realms, fight with unnatural skill, and lay terrible curses against any who stand in their way.

Whiteshadow's blessing is feared by those who guard the Cities of Law; armies of gnolls or orcs who carry banners depicting Whiteshadow's crossed saber and horn possess martial powers untold, and are difficult to kill.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Based on @Stormonu 's idea, I'm going to establish this as a campaign truth:

4. Chaos Controls Magic

After the war between Law and Chaos, magic became the domain of Chaos. Magic is everywhere in the Chaos outside the cities, but within the walls magic is very difficult to conjure up. Even creatures with innate magical abilities, such as devils and celestials have difficulty using their powers.

Adventurers are often sent out into the wild to harvest Chaotic resources in order to empower magic within the Cities of Law. However, this is a balancing game. If too much Chaos is brought into the city, it can have a chaotic influence. More than one City of Law has fallen due to the corrupting powers of Chaos!

I think this brings up some interesting questions:

Mechanically, what does it mean that magic is difficult to use in a City of Law? Is there a cost to using magic? (Literally, does it cost gold or extra resources or HP?)

What does magic in the lands of Chaos look like? Just normal, or is everyone rolling on the Wild Magic table?

How does divine magic work? Are characters still able to gain divine powers from the Gods of Law, who are now banished to the mortal world? Is there a cost to this? Could characters worship the Wildering Gods?

Remove ads