• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help my find just the right game

Greybird

Explorer
I need some help. I need a new RPG for one of my groups, and I'm not sure which of the modern systems best fits them. Here's the deal:

I run two groups. One is a mixed group. One player is a typical modern 3e/Pathfinder player. He's done lots of games and is up for anything. The second is a 'classic' D&D player who did most of his gaming before Dungeons and Dragons even had editions. We're talking brown pamphlet D&D here. The other two are my kids, 12 and 14. We've been playing D&D 5e together for well over a year, and we've had a blast with it. We're all getting a little burned out, though, and I think a change of pace is called for. Age appropriate content is not an issue. I use content in film, TV, and games to teach my kids rather than hiding it from them.

Here is where things get hard.

Games driven mostly by player narrative and role playing will not work for this group. My eldest is extremely quiet and introverted. He has a great imagination and lots of ideas (and a genius-level intellect), but he keeps to himself enough that games like that would leave him uncomfortable and unable to participate. One of my other players - the one who started RPGs at a time when actual role-playing hadn't been conceived of yet - has trouble with it as well. The roleplaying he knows and loves ran more like a game of Munchkin.

At the same time, I'm a single dad and time is hard to come by. We play once a month for four to five hours. That means two things: First, in-depth, complex story lines are too hard to keep track of. Having players remember a bunch of hints and clues after a month is a nightmare for narrative and kills the flow. Second, rules-heavy games and games that require tons of prep and hours to achieve anything wouldn't work well. Getting three or four fights a session in means that a small dungeon can take three or four months.

Since most games fall into one of those two categories - either rules-heavy simulations or narrative driven role playing. I'm having trouble coming up with anything that would fit. Fate and Apocalypse World games seem too narrative driven. D&D 3+/Pathfinder are too much work for the amount of time we have. 5e, as I said, has been good, but the burnout is strong with this one.

So, what I need is a rules-light to rules-medium game that is fairly fast-paced (to keep the kids' attention), but not driven mostly be player narrative and roleplay, and that has quick, easy prep, as it is taking everything I have to keep things running already. If there is an option that isn't fantasy, that would be a plus, too.

Last edited:

For non-fantasy, post-apocalyptic Mutant Future springs to mind. The rules are based on Labyrinth Lord, an OSR game, so it’ll look familiar to everyone involved. It’s fairly rules-light, so it won’t require too much time to create adventures for, and runs pretty quickly in play.

For a simpler, old-school D&D game, I’d recommend Castles & Crusades and the aforementioned Labyrinth Lord. The Fantasy AGE RPG is a little crunchier, but still relatively light. The Titansgrave book adds a techno-fantasy element to it, too.

Technomancer

First Post
I was going to say Castles and Crusades too. I still will, with the caveat that it is fantasy, and you seem to want at least the option to get away from that genre.

For you, I recommend the D6 system. It was used in the original Star Wars RPG from West End Games, but is now available (free) in generic form. There are three core books (Adventure, which is basically modern day, Fantasy, and Space), with a few supplements for each, which are mostly free as well.

Mini Six is a lighter version of D6 (which is already lighter than 3E), and a good way to check it out before investing time in the larger books.

Greybird

Explorer
To clarify, I love fantasy, I've just been running two fantasy campaigns for a couple of years now and I'm a little burned out.

A

amerigoV

Go with Savage Worlds.

Third.

Its Fast! Furious! and Fun! (the tagline :)). You can run various genres with ease, so a low transition curve from one game to another. It has enough crunch to satisfy without being too indie.

Plus the RIFTS Kickstarter will be announced this upcoming Tuesday. What more could you want?

Tony Vargas

Legend
So, what I need is a rules-light to rules-medium game that is fairly fast-paced (to keep the kids' attention), but not driven mostly be player narrative and roleplay, and that has quick, easy prep, as it is taking everything I have to keep things running already.
But for quick & easy prep, and getting burned out on it, I'd say 5e. 4e had quick/easy prep for the DM and otherwise fits. 13th Age could work, but...
If there is an option that isn't fantasy, that would be a plus, too.
Amethyst is a possibility...

Ooh! Gamma World! Crazy mutant post-apocalypse fun, D&D-like enough, mechanically to familiar.

innerdude

Legend
So, what I need is a rules-light to rules-medium game that is fairly fast-paced (to keep the kids' attention), but not driven mostly be player narrative and roleplay, and that has quick, easy prep, as it is taking everything I have to keep things running already. If there is an option that isn't fantasy, that would be a plus, too.

As already mentioned, Savage Worlds is the answer.

1. "Rules-light to rules-medium game" -- Check.

2. "Fairly fast-paced (to keep the kids' attention), but not driven mostly be player narrative and roleplay" -- Check. Savage Worlds aims for action/adventure style play, with just enough nods to roleplaying to keep things interesting. My pitch to people looking at the game generally goes something like, "It's the game I always wished BECMI D&D would have been but didn't know it when I was 13." To me it plays very much like my early BECMI games but much more robustly and with consistent, easy-to-apply rules.

3. "Quick, easy prep, as it is taking everything I have to keep things running already" -- MASSIVE check. When I was running my Savage Worlds fantasy campaign, my game prep averaged maybe one to three hours a month. It wasn't uncommon to prep entire sessions in 15-20 minutes, and sometimes less. If you can't prep a satisfying session of Savage Worlds in 30 minutes or less, you're doing something very, very wrong. :)

Further evidence on this point --- one of my good friends in the group had never once in his life tried GM-ing before he tried Savage Worlds. Within months of trying it out in my fantasy campaign, he asked if he could try his hand at GM-ing for the very first time. The end result was he ended up running an absolutely brilliant zombie apocalypse campaign.

4. "If there is an option that isn't fantasy, that would be a plus, too" -- Check. Savage Worlds is a multi-purpose, "toolkit" system and can easily handle nearly any genre of game you throw at it. I personally have run or played in a traditional fantasy game, a modern-day zombie apocalypse game, a near-future cyberpunk game, and a Firefly spinoff, all using the same core set of rules. And all of them ran and played wonderfully.

If you end up trying it, understand that isn't D&D. It's not based on standard d20 design, so there will be a small learning curve to acclimate to it if your baseline is D&D---but the payoff is vastly, hugely worth it.

Savage Worlds has been my go-to game since 2011 when I switched from Pathfinder, and to be honest, I have almost zero desire to try anything else at this point. Unless I'm looking for something in full "narrative/storytelling" mode (like Fate) or directly tied to a highly specific setting (The One Ring), Savage Worlds is my system of choice every time.

*Bonus: The huge variety of campaign settings.

If you want traditional, "high fantasy", Shaintar is absolutely brilliant. (I've not played it, but Hellfrost is also highly regarded amongst fellow Savages, or check out the Lankhmar companion.)

If you want "space opera," check out The Last Parsec or Slipstream.

If you want "Age of Sails" check out Pirates of the Spanish Main or The Savage World of Solomon Kane.

If you want horror, try Realms of Cthulhu, East Texas University, or Rippers.

If you want modern-ish, look at the Weird Wars series.

*Edit -- I can't believe I forgot one of my top 3, All Time Favorite RPG books I've ever owned, Interface Zero 2.0. This is one of the best cyberpunk settings you'll find anywhere.

Last edited:

ADrollThief

First Post
I agree with the others suggesting Savage Worlds. I too was looking for a new game a few months ago and posted a similar question on Reddit's rpg forum and the general consesus seemed also be for Savage Worlds.

My group picked it up and we are hooked! :)

Remove ads