• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [HELP] Natural Armor and Spells.

sarahfox

First Post
So i was told by my DM i needed to make a tank, or a magical tank and to be useful as the party will be out of 5, 2 in a half healers.

Looking online for a tank class i came across the Tortle race, which gains +17 Natural Armor. Unlike natural defense which i can find all over online, Natural Armor might be stack able.
My question of this post and what i plan to do is become a sorceress tortle and take up Animate Object, My thought process is it states small items ( thinking 1 to 2 foot shields ) which get an AC bonus from what i understand does add to my 17, could be animated and used to surround me Or another person in combat giving that person protection to their AC.

Now doing the math and sorceress use a spell twice per combat bonus, i estimated i can use this action and then 9th level cast it twice. giving me if the math and me understanding the spell is right, 10 shields +2 extra per level bonus after 5th. being +4 adding 8 more shields to my 10 total. Unless i miss understood then then my math will be incorrect. Doing this my question is will be putting them around me or someone else add to my ac and theirs or just mine and do i get what shields give naturally if equiped or does animate objects AC take over?

My math is tortle 17 + 18x18 OR 17+ 18X? ? being shields ac bonus. and if i do this and the double spell cast action this be 32x18 and or 32x?
The result being 665 AC. +4 if i hide in the shell.

Did i understand this correctly?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You understood exactly how to try and game the system to create a situation for your Dungeon Master to deny. Congratulations! :)

I suspect your DM would just be happy for you to make a tank by taking a warrior class, putting them in Plate Mail, equip a shield, and perhaps even take the Defense Fighting Style. So you're at a 21 AC to start the game with. That's probably all you need to do rather than try and get the thumbs-up on all those other shenanigans.

sarahfox

First Post
Wasnt planning to have them say yes once we got high enough level i was only asking to know if it was correct, because that is a bit broken.
My side choice was Barbarian Tortle.

M_Natas

Hero
So i was told by my DM i needed to make a tank, or a magical tank and to be useful as the party will be out of 5, 2 in a half healers.

Looking online for a tank class i came across the Tortle race, which gains +17 Natural Armor. Unlike natural defense which i can find all over online, Natural Armor might be stack able.
My question of this post and what i plan to do is become a sorceress tortle and take up Animate Object, My thought process is it states small items ( thinking 1 to 2 foot shields ) which get an AC bonus from what i understand does add to my 17, could be animated and used to surround me Or another person in combat giving that person protection to their AC.

Now doing the math and sorceress use a spell twice per combat bonus, i estimated i can use this action and then 9th level cast it twice. giving me if the math and me understanding the spell is right, 10 shields +2 extra per level bonus after 5th. being +4 adding 8 more shields to my 10 total. Unless i miss understood then then my math will be incorrect. Doing this my question is will be putting them around me or someone else add to my ac and theirs or just mine and do i get what shields give naturally if equiped or does animate objects AC take over?

My math is tortle 17 + 18x18 OR 17+ 18X? ? being shields ac bonus. and if i do this and the double spell cast action this be 32x18 and or 32x?
The result being 665 AC. +4 if i hide in the shell.

Did i understand this correctly?
No. Per RAW you can only benefit from one shield at a time. You can't stack them, even if you animate them.

sarahfox

First Post

M_Natas

Hero
From my understanding thats if equiped, animate object would float in a spot and take the hit before hitting you. Sorta like a buffer Its why it has its own AC on the spell and gives it hit points.
Than they don't give you additional AC but they give you cover. Thats either half cover (+2 to AC), 3/4-Cover (+5 to AC) or full cover (can't be directly targeted by an attack or spell).

sarahfox

First Post
Animated Object
Tiny - HP: 20, AC: 18, Attack: +8 to hit, 1d4 + 4 damage, Str: 4, Dex: 18
Small - HP: 25, AC: 16, Attack: +6 to hit, 1d8 + 2 damage, Str: 6, Dex: 14
Medium - HP: 40, AC: 13, Attack: +5 to hit, 2d6 + 1 damage, Str: 10, Dex: 12
Large - HP: 50, AC: 10, Attack: +6 to hit, 2d10 + 2 damage, Str: 14, Dex: 10
Huge - HP: 80, AC: 10, Attack: +8 to hit, 2d12 + 4 damage, Str: 18, Dex: 6

If no legs it just floats, but even so if you made a small wall with them, 2 by 5 my understanding is it be their ac + yours or just theirs then yours.

My other question is does it stack all their AC into one or single each.

sarahfox

First Post
Than they don't give you additional AC but they give you cover. Thats either half cover (+2 to AC), 3/4-Cover (+5 to AC) or full cover (can't be directly targeted by an attack or spell).
This also makes me ask another question, Reactionary? Similar to the spell Shield?

M_Natas

Hero
Animated Object
Tiny - HP: 20, AC: 18, Attack: +8 to hit, 1d4 + 4 damage, Str: 4, Dex: 18
Small - HP: 25, AC: 16, Attack: +6 to hit, 1d8 + 2 damage, Str: 6, Dex: 14
Medium - HP: 40, AC: 13, Attack: +5 to hit, 2d6 + 1 damage, Str: 10, Dex: 12
Large - HP: 50, AC: 10, Attack: +6 to hit, 2d10 + 2 damage, Str: 14, Dex: 10
Huge - HP: 80, AC: 10, Attack: +8 to hit, 2d12 + 4 damage, Str: 18, Dex: 6

If no legs it just floats, but even so if you made a small wall with them, 2 by 5 my understanding is it be their ac + yours or just theirs then yours.

My other question is does it stack all their AC into one or single each.
It would just be their AC, if they cover you completly. Their AC doesn't stack. They would be like NPCs or other Characters standing in front of you giving you cover.

sarahfox

First Post
So my understanding wasnt correct then, alright good was worried of an immortal tortle.
My next question, because the spell does interest me it claims things with no legs float can i use it as a levitational device?

Remove ads