Help Needed: Creating a fantasy rules system using 2d10

clearstream

(He, Him)
The discussion so far is pointing directly at "5e with a new coat of paint." Abilities the same, ACs, DCs, saving throws, proficiency bonus. You're on well-traveled ground, to put it mildly.

As an example of steering away from another 5e, take a look at my Core Rules Module (click) here. Once you're over the irony of the use of the "Core Rules" choice of words, you might find:

• Rule Zero. Yeah, so far, so D&D. Or any RPG.
  • Rule One, campaign theme. Typical RPG, but D&D sort of imposes its own theme.
  • Rule Two. The GM rolls a d20 too? There's a D&Diversion.
  • Rule Three. There's no Succeed or Fail. NOW we're diverging from a lot of RPGs, not just D&D.
There are many more diversions in the next 80 or so rules. But my point is that not making another 5e starts at ground level. Using 2d10 to resolve conflicts is cool, but it will take a bit more to break out of The Shadow Of The World's Greatest Role-Playing Game.
I like your no-fluff approach to your Modos rules modules, with your intent forceful and each rule distinct. I wondered if thinking about which rules are constitutive and which regulatory might be a route to even greater clarity? Anyway, it's nice work.

I'm encountering more problems than just navigating the issues of whether or not 2d10 is the right choice for this system. I'm not sure if I should post those up here or if I should start a new thread designated specifically to the game system and the issues within in it. Any thoughts?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Before 3e I tried using a 2d10 system (even used 2d10-1 to roll stats) But d20 came out and was much easier, 5% increments isnt bad and the swings are fun

Buzzqw

Explorer
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean here.
every time on the d10 you roll a 10 sum the dice and reroll the dice again and sum the new result
so roll 2d20 = 4,10 . reroll the second dice = 7 , you got 4+10+7=21

if you roll 1 on the dice discard it. roll 2d10 = 1,10. discard the first dice. reroll the second dice (10) = 1, sorry discard it. you got a totall of 10

BHH

In regards to the curve of 2d10 I've had some time to think about it and I'm wondering what others opinion on this thought would be:

I'm wondering if having less likelihood of rolling higher numbers might be a feature and not a bug. Here is what I mean by that.

As a first level character I believe it is already assumed that your characters are in a league above others in regards to power and heroism. You are a threat to the evils of the world around the characters immediate area. I kinda think the curve of the dice should reflect that, so starting off with the Excellence you have in your weapons or in your spellcasting you are much more likely to hit creatures like orcs, goblins and kobolds because of the dice's curve. However, as you progress forward as adventurers you will come across greater challenges that will become more problematic to fight, whether that's higher ACs or DCs it shows the PCs that the path of an adventurer is a truly perilous one. As a result, teamwork, tactics and managing and acquiring Hero Dice (the replacement to inspiration) becomes incredibly important to success. Basically, why is it assumed that it should become easier as you progress in your adventures and not harder as a result of the evils of the world responding to the players, who have, at this point, certainly made themselves known in the world.

However, I realize that sounds all well and good but I understand that there might be problems to using this dice choice. I'm open to hearing other's opinion on this game mindset or the mechanics of 2d10, however.

Remove ads