• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E HELP: New Classes to Model GoT/SoIaF in Pathfinder

So, I am trying to run a Pathfinder game set in the world of George R.R. Martin's novels (yeah, I know there is already an RPG for that setting, and I think it is awesome, but my players aren't ready to switch over yet). So, I am trying to build some classes for specific roles in the setting, and to make up for the fact that the party will have no spellcasters (and thus no healing). I am using reserve points, but still I am not sure I am doing enough to increase survivability.

Below is my attempt at a Maester class. It is basically a Wizard without spells. So... yeah, I;m trying to make that work...

[sblock]Maester
The maesters of the Citadel compose a semi-secretive society of learned men, steeped in the lore and learning of Westeros. Founded long ago, its members are committed to the acquisition of knowledge, mastering numerous subjects, from the healing arts to history, from the secrets of architecture and warfare to the study of commerce and accounting. To mark their expertise with a particular subject, a maester forges a link to form the chain he wears about his neck. Each link in the chain is of a different metal to reflect the particular area of expertise. While there’s theoretically a metal for every subject, the maesters are rather secretive about their traditions.

Role: Maesters are not frontline combatants, but their quick, keen minds and personal discipline contribute greatly to their allies in the battlefield. They understand the physiology of a wide variety of creatures, including their weaknesses, and also know much of the history of warfare. Maesters do best away from melee combat, but close enough to their companions to grant the benefits of their vast knowledge.

Alignment: Any lawful

Hit Die: d8

Starting Wealth: 3d6 × 10 gp (average 105 gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

Class Skills: Appriase (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Chas), Disable Device (Dex), Handle Animal (Wis), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (any; Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis)
Skill Points/Level: 8+ Int Modifier

Table: Maester
Level BAB Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special

1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Links of the chain, enlightening insight, trained raven, raven’s ire, send a raven, maester’s gambit, naturalist, distracted shot
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Intricate details, poison knowledge, reciprocal insight
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Master poisoner, startling cry, strategic insight

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the maester.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Maesters are proficient with all simple weapons. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Links of the Chain
A maester adds half his class level (minimum 1) to all Knowledge skill checks and may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

Enlightening Insight (Ex)
A maester is able to use his intellect and the example of his own disciplined thinking to keep allies mentally sharp, alert, and ready for action. A number of times per day equal to half his maester level (rounded up), a maester can grant all allies within 30 feet a +1 bonus on Initiative checks, Perception, and Disable Device checks for 1 hour. They also gain a +1 insight bonus on Reflex saves and to AC against traps and when they are flat-footed. These bonuses increase by +1 at 5th level and every six levels thereafter. Using this ability requires 3 rounds of the maester addressing his allies, and the targets must be able to see and hear the maester throughout the explanation. This ability is language-dependent and requires visual and audible components.

Trained Raven (Ex)
A maester forges a rapport with a particularly intelligent and well-trained raven. This raven functions as a skinchanger’s animal companion, using the maester’s level as his effective skinchanger level. Ravens with the intelligence to function this well are rare. Should a maester’s raven die, the maester may find another raven to serve him after 1 week of testing candidates. This new raven does not gain the link, evasion, devotion, or improved evasion special abilities until the next time the maester gains a level.

Raven’s Ire (Ex)
Certain other abilities of the maester will make an enemy the subject of raven’s ire. When an enemy who is subject to raven’s ire is within 30 feet of the maester and his raven, and that enemy moves closer to the maester, that enemy takes damage equal to the maester’s Intelligence modifier. This represents the maester’s raven swooping by that enemy with a sudden, unexpected strike. This is not a standard attack, and does not require the raven to spend an action; it is just a quick distracting swat with beak, claws, or even just its fluttering wings. A given enemy can only take damage from a specific maester’s raven’s ire once per encounter, and only one enemy can take damage from that maester’s raven’s ire per round.

Send a Raven (Ex)
The maester can compel any appropriately trained raven to go to a spot the maester designates. The most common use for this ability is to get a message to another maester far away. The maester can use his trained raven companion for this purpose, but most maesters choose not to do so, using another trained raven instead. No trained raven companion can be compelled to carry a message against the will of the maester whose companion it is. Using some type of food desirable to the animal as a lure, the maester calls the raven to him. It advances and awaits his bidding. The maester impresses on the animal a certain place well known to himself or the raven, or an obvious landmark. The directions must be simple, because the animal depends on the maester's knowledge and can't find a destination on its own that it has not already visited. The maester attaches a small item or note to the raven. The raven then goes to the designated location and waits there a number of days equal to the level of the maester who sent it, whereupon it resumes its normal activities, usually returning to the maester who trains or keeps it. During this period of waiting, the messenger allows other maesters to approach it and remove any scroll or token it carries. The intended recipient gains no special ability to communicate with the animal or read any attached message (if it's written in a language he doesn't know, for example). A maester can train a new non-companion raven to carry messages in about a month, and when traveling, he can keep a maximum number of messenger ravens equal to his maester level + his Intelligence modifier.

Maester’s Gambit
At 1st level, the maester gains a number of cunning strategic tricks that will aid him in adventuring and investigation. Each day, the maester gains a limited number of uses of this ability, and each time he uses one of his gambits one of these uses is expended. The number of gambits per day at 1st level is 4 + the maester’s Intelligence modifier. At each level after 1st a maester can use maester’s gambit an additional 2 times per day. A maester cannot use more than one gambit in a single round.

Naturalist (Ex)
A maester who has identified a creature with an appropriate lore skill can use share strategies for defeating it with allies in combat. By expending one of his maester’s gambit uses as a standard action, a maester can grant any allies within 30 feet gain a +1 insight bonus to AC and on attack rolls and saving throws against exceptional, supernatural, and spell-like abilities used by creatures of that specific kind of creature (e.g., dire wolves, not all wolves or all animals) for one hour. This bonus increases by +1 at 5th level and every six levels thereafter. This language-dependent ability requires visual and audible components.

Distracted Shot (Ex)
If the maester and his raven can both be seen or heard by an ally with a ranged weapon, the maester can direct the raven to help that ally make an especially effective ranged attack. The raven flutters by, dives at the target, or otherwise distracts him at the moment when the ally takes his shot. By expending a maester’s gambit use as a standard action, a maester can grant grant the chosen ally an immediate ranged attack against an enemy within range of the ally’s weapon. This attack gains a +1 bonus on the roll. If it is successful, the attack does its normal damage, but adds bonus damage equal to the maester’s Intelligence modifier, and the enemy only moves at half his speed for one round. Additionally, for the next five rounds, that enemy is subject to the maester’s raven’s ire ability. This language-dependent ability requires audible components.

Temporary Cure (Ex)
At 1st level, a maester can use his advanced knowledge of medicine to temporarily give a creature relief from wounds, illness, or fatigue. By expending one of his maester’s gambit uses as a standard action while adjacent to the creature, the maester gives that creature temporary hit points equal to her Intelligence modifier + 1d4 per maester level he possesses. In addition, at 3rd level, this effect also cures the sickened condition. At 6th level, it also cures the fatigued condition. At 9th level, this effect also cures the exhausted and nauseated conditions. At 12th level, this also cures the blinded and paralyzed conditions.

Intricate Details (Ex)
At 2nd level, a maester gains a bonus equal to half his class level on Disable Device and Perception checks. He can disable intricate and complex devices in half the normal amount of time (minimum 1 round) and open a lock as a standard action. In addition, maester can find and disable magical traps, like a rogue’s trapfinding ability and he gains a +4 bonus on saving throws made against illusions and a +4 bonus on saving throws to see through disguises and protections against divination (such as misdirection, and nondetection). At 6th level, a maester can take 10 on Disable Device checks, even if distracted or endangered.

Poison Knowledge (Ex)
At 2nd level, a maester is trained in the use of poison and cannot accidentally poison himself when applying poison to a blade, nor does he risk poisoning himself when using Craft to make poison. In addition, the maester can advise others on how to use poison more effectively. When an ally makes an attack using a weapon treated with a poison of the injury type, the maester can expend one of his maester’s gambit uses as an immediate action. The attack gains a bonus equal to the maester’s Intelligence modifier, and if it hits, the attack does extra poison damage equal to 1d4 per class level of the maester, in addition to the regular effects of the poison. This bonus damage is a language-dependent ability that requires audible components.

Reciprocal Insight (Ex)
At 2nd level, the maester can share an insight that gives an ally a bonus on an attack against a foe who has struck him. When an ally is struck by an enemy, a maester can expend one of his maester’s gambit uses as an immediate action to give that ally a bonus on his next attack roll against that enemy equal to the maester’s Intelligence modifier, and even if the attack misses, the enemy takes damage equal to the maester’s Intelligence modifier. Additionally, for the next five rounds, that enemy is subject to the maester’s raven’s ire ability. This language-dependent ability requires audible components.

Master Poisoner (Ex)
At 3rd level, a maester can use Craft (alchemy) to change the type of a poison. This requires 1 hour of work with an alchemist’s lab and a Craft (alchemy) skill check with a DC equal to the poison’s DC. If successful, the poison’s type changes to contact, ingested, inhaled, or injury. If the check fails, the poison is ruined. The maester also receives a bonus on Craft (alchemy) skill checks when working with poison equal to 1/2 her maester level.

Startling Cry (Ex)
The maester has trained his raven to emit a piercing caw that frightens opponents away. The maester’s raven must be in the same square as himself to use this ability. When the maester is adjacent to at least one enemy, he can expend one of his maester’s gambit uses as a standard action to cause all enemies within 5 feet of himself to roll a Will save (DC + half the maester's level + the maester's Intelligence modifier) or be shaken one round. In addition, any opponent who fails the save is also pushed straight back 10 feet, as if they had been the target of a successful bull rush that exceeded their CMD by 5. Finally, for the next five rounds, any enemy who rolls the Will save—whether they fail or succeed—is subject to the maester’s raven’s ire ability.

Strategic Insight (Ex)
At 3rd level, once per day a maester can use an insight gained from his extensive education to give his allies a moment of strategic advantage. As a standard action, the maester signals his allies that the time is right for a single coordinated strike. Any allies within 30 feet of the maester that can hear or see him gain an instant attack of opportunity against an enemy of their choice within range of their weapon. Each of these attacks receives a bonus equal to the maester’s Intelligence modifier, and any enemy successfully damaged by one of these attacks must roll a Will save (DC: 10 + the maester’s level + the maester’s Intelligence modifier) or be dazed for one round. The maester gains one additional use of this ability per day at 6th level, and every three levels thereafter. This language-dependent ability requires visual or audible components, but not both[/sblock]If anyone has any interest, I have also worked up a skinchanger class, but this is the one I am concerned about. I am walking a weird line here, because I don't want the class to do too much but on the other hand I want it to replace the wizard despite the lack of spells. So any input is appreciated.

1Mac

First Post
I like the powers you've got for your maester class, but it's terribly front-loaded. I don't think you need to worry about replicating the wizard's versatility, especially with the number of skill ranks the class gets.

The best Pathfinder scholar-type class I've found is in this source, though it needs a little tweaking. Also, I recently learned that Guardians of Order put out a 3e compatible Game of Thrones RPG a few years ago, that has a Maester class ready to adopt. They're defunct though, so you might have trouble finding it.

I like the powers you've got for your maester class, but it's terribly front-loaded. I don't think you need to worry about replicating the wizard's versatility, especially with the number of skill ranks the class gets.

The best Pathfinder scholar-type class I've found is in this source, though it needs a little tweaking. Also, I recently learned that Guardians of Order put out a 3e compatible Game of Thrones RPG a few years ago, that has a Maester class ready to adopt. They're defunct though, so you might have trouble finding it.
Thanks for these. I just downloaded the Grittier Magic pdf (GM's day sale) so I will take a look at that Scholar class.

1Mac

First Post
Note that the writers are not native English speakers, and it occasionally show, though it's quite intelligible.

For the Scholar class, I'd recommend changing the BAB to a normal low (i.e. wizard-like), rather than the super-low one they offer. I'd also change the text for the Skill Expertise power to read: "At 3rd level, as a free action, a scholar may reroll any skill once per day and take the better result. He must have at least 1 rank in that skill to use this ability." For the Scholastic Knowledge power, I might make it at half-level bonus to Knowledge skills (like how Bardic Knowledge works), though a level bonus certainly cements the class's niche.

For a Game of Thrones game, the whole Grittier line might be of interest. They're cheap, and they have a lot of good ideas.

Remove ads