• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help on Final Fight

hawkeyefan

Legend
I'd have the Feylord protect his interests by sending some reinforcements. I'd have the Snaketongue cultists fight a retreating battle, yielding ground to the PCs and slowly leading them back to the main chamber. The PCs will think they have them on the ropes...until they reach the final chamber and realize that they've been led into a trap and the Yuan-Ti and their Fey allies are waiting.

Wolf118

Explorer
Wow. You guys are awesome! There's some really great ideas here.

I don't want to punish the players for taking a long rest, but there are consequences. The yuan-ti drug operation is region-wide, covering 4 different countries to one degree or another. This locale is crucial because of the Feywild portal, but not necessarily for the drug production & distribution. However, I do want the party to hit the next level, and they're only about 3,000 XP each away.

I like the thought that the yuan-ti would abandon the operation. Cut their losses, because this party is pretty powerful (they took down two young behirs and an abomination in the sewer battle) and because the location isn't critical. However, they wouldn't leave without doing something to the party. I'm playing the yuan-ti like the Viet Cong; infiltrators, subversives, terrorists, etc, all trying to undermine the current governments for an overthrow and return to the old yuan-ti empire.

These were the general ideas:
1. Repopulate the sewer level
2. Take hostages from the townspeople and use them against the party
3. Leave/Abandon operation
4. Summon guardians/reinforcements
5. Get help from Feylord
6. Add more rooms to cavern

I think I will do the following:
- While the PCs are resting, the yuan-ti will kidnap a number of townspeople (women and children). They'll set them up in a Hobson's Choice scenario (similar to Dark Knight; rescue Dent or Rachel) where the party has to choose which group of hostages to save (or split the party to try and save both).
- The yuan-ti are abandoning the site, for now, back through the Feywild portal. They're taking all their treasure and goodies with them. However, the site is a temple to Merrshaulk, so they won't be gone forever. They'll be back.
- They have summoned some guardians (elementals, or maybe demons, or both!) to 'punish' the party for interfering and to kill the hostages as the party tries to rescue them.
- The Feylord will be there to taunt the party with their failure and their inability to follow the yuan-ti. He'll have enough fomorians and mages to make the party think twice about attacking, plus he'll mention that crossing the boundary stones means he can do whatever he wants to them, and that they'll be on his naughty list.

Many thanks to everyone for the great ideas. Now to rebuild the encounter (which is easy, with Fantasy Grounds).

Remove ads