• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help price magic item pls!

Nvvyn

First Post
How much would a rock or small stone cost to enchant with fireball at level 5 (5d6)? It would require a ranged touch attack.
Also, what if I added the ability for it to detonate the round after it was thrown?
Likewise, what would a shuriken cost to hold this same enchantment?

Pax

Banned
Banned
Hmm.

A one-shot grenade-like item, eh?

As a shuriken, btw, I'd disallow it ... or a the least,you wouldn't get the shuriken damage TOO.

In the Tome and Blood magic-item pricing guidelines, one of the lines is "Any other spell, single-use, use activated". The costs is spell level times caster level times 100gp.

So a 5d6 fireball stone (destroyed on use) would cost (3x5x100=) 1,500gp. The reflex save woudl be standard for an item -- 10 plus spell level, or 13.

To delay it, you would either use Delayed Blast Fireball (for mondo damage), or the Delay Spell metamagic feat (same basic thing, really).

Delayed Blast Fireball would be an 7th level spell, and a 13th level caster. That would cost (7x13x100=) 9,100gp; during creation, it coudl have the delay set to ANYthign legal for a DBF, but only during creation (so you cold have rocks with numbers on' em ... 0 for normal fireball, 1 through 5 for various DBF's ...).

Damage for the DBF rock would be ... well, DBF doesn't list a specific damage cap (!!), so, 13d8[fire], with a save DC of 17. I suppose it might have the same 10-dice cap as Fireball, though that makes NO sense, since you'd hit the cap long before youc oudl even cast DBF in the first place.

I can easily see a DM deciding to up those, to 2,000gp and 10,000gp respectively. Nice round numbers for one, and ... -grenades- like those are a nasty thing for D&D ...

TabulaRasa

First Post
Pax said:
The reflex save woudl be standard for an item -- 10 plus spell level, or 13.

Damage for the DBF rock would be ... well, DBF doesn't list a specific damage cap (!!), so, 13d8[fire], with a save DC of 17.

Your Dc calculations are wrong. It is DC14 for the normal FB and DC20 for the DBF.

/Tabula

Destil

Explorer
Pax said:
Damage for the DBF rock would be ... well, DBF doesn't list a specific damage cap (!!), so, 13d8[fire], with a save DC of 17. I suppose it might have the same 10-dice cap as Fireball, though that makes NO sense, since you'd hit the cap long before youc oudl even cast DBF in the first place.
According to the PH eratta DBF deals d6 damage.

I'd just modify a necklace of fireballs to get the effect, myself.

Remove ads