Help Us Kill Morrus - Just updated 23/03/05

Delemental

First Post
Okay, here's your plan:

Step 1: Sorcerer casts disintegrate on the back doors.
Step 2: Run like hell.

I'm only slightly kidding here. The biggest mistake PC's make, even high-level ones, is thinking they have to meet every challenge head-on. The githyanki and slaad were obviously waiting for you. They have put you at a severe disadvantage and are fighting on their terms. Yes, you'll have to deal with that negative energy tunnel, but hopefully the glyphs were all triggered on the way in and won't be a factor in your escape, and hopefully the negative energy isn't strong enough to kill you all.

The tactics that have been mentioned are good, but I can't shake the feeling that the lich-queen has probably thrown a few death wards of her own on her people to protect them from the negative energy walls (with the amount of negative energy being utilized here, I'd be surprised if the enemy doesn't have some sort of protection).

So I say run. If the tunnel kills you, then you have the rest of the night to make new characters. If it doesn't, then you regroup, go slay a couple of dragons and re-equip the cleric and sorcerer, and then figure out how to take on the lich-queen and the sladd king separately, and more on your own terms. If the paladin gives you any "I can't run because I've been charged by Raziel to kill her" crap, then he should be given a choice; either see the wisdom of a tactical withdrawal to get another shot at it later, or stay there alone and explain to Raziel in person (about 6-12 seconds later) why he failed. (Nothing personal here, Darmanicus - you don't seem the type to play the Lawful Stupid paladin).

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
If the party can fly? Ok how about an energy wall on the ground with damage side pointing up? I would imagine that might keep the fighter types on a hot foot so to speak..but as far as a 20th level Psionic Lich....you are so TOAST!!!! She is going to be able to throw such beefed up powers at you..simple maximised mind thrust 10 per level! lets say she takes it easy on you and only does 50 hitoints per round, does she have schism? thats two of those per round..the more pionts she puts into it the harder the save is...like I said she is way over powered for what you guys have....so Im guessing there is a catch, she is weakened some how she has really lame powers? SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY!!!

Thorncrest

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Ravellion said:
You've come a long way since I last joined for that single session. I'd probably go straight for the queen. Use a heal on her even, seeing as she's an undead *****. Liches don't have con modifiers, so even their d12 hd is going to be hurt by a heal... too bad you only have one though.

She's also the biggest threat, with the high level save or die spells she probably has.

Rav/ Ron

Hi! How's things going?

Sure we can't persuade you to pop over for next Tuesday. It's a fairly short flight and another sword would be great. :)

Thinking about her lichiness, she might not have the world's best Fort save... perhaps a light bit of disintegration...

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Sir ThornCrest said:
If the party can fly? Ok how about an energy wall on the ground with damage side pointing up? I would imagine that might keep the fighter types on a hot foot so to speak..but as far as a 20th level Psionic Lich....you are so TOAST!!!! She is going to be able to throw such beefed up powers at you..simple maximised mind thrust 10 per level! lets say she takes it easy on you and only does 50 hitoints per round, does she have schism? thats two of those per round..the more pionts she puts into it the harder the save is...like I said she is way over powered for what you guys have....so Im guessing there is a catch, she is weakened some how she has really lame powers? SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY!!!

Thorncrest

Yup. It doesn't look at all pretty from where we are sitting.

Most of the party have items that offer them some unspecified degree of protection from Psionics. Apart from the sorceror (me) and cleric... ours got destroyed along with our gear. We don't know exactly what they do... most likely they offer PR, which is pretty useless against her.

I suspect (hope?) her powers won't be totally optimised for combat. She's the queen of a criminal empire, not just an killing machine. Still, I agree, she's going to have some horrible stuff in store for us. I laugh at 50 point Mind Thrusts. But only twice. The third one kills me. :)

Len

Prodigal Member
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Thinking about her lichiness, she might not have the world's best Fort save... perhaps a light bit of disintegration...
How's your spell penetration?

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
If the party can fly? Ok how about an energy wall on the ground with damage side pointing up? I would imagine that might keep the fighter types on a hot foot so to speak..but as far as a 20th level Psionic Lich....you are so TOAST!!!! She is going to be able to throw such beefed up powers at you..simple maximised mind thrust 10 h pts per level! lets say she takes it easy on you and only does 50 hitoints per round, does she have schism? thats two of those per round..the more pionts she puts into it the harder the save is...like I said she is way over powered for what you guys have....so Im guessing there is a catch, she is weakened some how or she has really lame powers, or at least ones that are not so melee based? SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY!!!

Thorncrest

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Len said:
How's your spell penetration?

Mine is +19. 15 levels and both penetration feats... proved worthwhile in the campaign so far.

Guessing:

Wizard's is +20.

Cleric is +16 with some feat to boost it for turning attempts.

The others are part casters and can manage about +10's.

Last edited:

warlord

First Post
I have to side with Morrus on this one. You are screwed you can't beat the owner of the most powerful d20 D&D fansite ever.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
warlord said:
I have to side with Morrus on this one. You are screwed you can't beat the owner of the most powerful d20 D&D fansite ever.

All I can say is:

You had a diviner in the party. A DIVINER! And you don't know all about the lich queens weaknesses and powers? And you didn't see this coming? Not to mention the communey goodness of the cleric!

It's obvious that the diviner is a double agent. Kill him first.

Beyond that: either you're hopelessly outclassed, or you're not. If you are, you're stuffed, so bank on not being outclassed.

I'd suggest:
1) Getting the king of chaos to change his mind (which shouldn't be difficult, now should it?)
2) Slapping down an area greater dispel should help. It'll help undermine preparations.
3) Wall of force and buy some time for buffing

Remove ads