Help Us Kill Morrus - Just updated 23/03/05

DungeonMaster

First Post
So let me get this straight... you decided to fight a lich without even a single anti-magic field spell preped?
No forcecage?
No maze spells?
No passwall?
No stone shape?

If he plays the monsters very poorly you're likely all dead. If his monster control is even average there's no hope.
Can you guys post your character sheets? If there's any way out or chance of victory it's likely something you're ignoring on your sheets.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
If only we could get hold of slimeboys crown! If it could be sundered even, it might persuade the queen to unleash a psionic load of smackdown on the king?

The red slaad idea could be real sweet, I wonder if she would fall fer it?

If I got near the queen she could be in fer a world of pain however her lil sister required both good and blunt weaponry to overcome damage resistance and I've only got a falchion to hand, albeit a very sharp and undead baney falchion. Unfortunately Morrus didn't like the idea presented in BoED that suggested exalted characters could crit undead, (maybe he'll let me make that one into a feat).

Basically if me and the Samurai can be left alone with one thing at a time, it will probably die in one round of full attacks but that would require some really protracted battlfield control. The tiger might possibly be able to take out 1 Gith in a grapple but that'll be it, (my version of not so quickened bands/stripes of steel/claws!!).

If you chuck the ranger in also with his holy uzi of doom before we charge any given henchman that could work until Morrus decides we're not doing that anymore, (it'll work for at least one round though which'll take one of 'em out).

Just a thought but if you can telekinetically bullruch etc. can you telekinetically disarm? That might be a great strategy for nicking the crown, giving it to me so I could then teleport over to the queen to have some close up and personal fun with the bitch?

Gidien

First Post
Ok, just some recommendations. First of all, splitting the enemies up is a must, and some grappling summons are a great idea. You mentioned that there might be some teleport restrictions of the room. These will apply to your enemies too. One thing that might be helpful for everyone here would be an approximate size of the room.

First round, have the cleric cast a quickened heal on the paladin, and lay out that firestorm, target the queen and king, and or course whatever else you can fit in.

Have the diviner target the queen and king with his most powerful attack spell.

Have the sorcerer lay down a wall of force to seal off the gith mooks, and if possible the slaadi too. Throw out the bluff comment, and summon a giant constrictor, have it grapple with the queen. This should slow her down quite a bit.

Have the paladin charge in. Hopefully the death ward will keep him whole. Simply put, he look like a beast in melee. Smite the queen and then next round just tear into her will all the smiting wrath you have. As a high level psionicist, she is the most dangerous and must die first. Your tiger can help you or keep whatever mooks aren't trapped busy.

The other characters should engage the queen also, and if not possible, then the king. If it is ok for the cleric to do so, summon that red slaadi to sow doubt and add another grappler for the queen. I wouldn't be surprised that the archer can't get through the walls. If you can get a fly on him, he may have enough mobility to still get in his attacks.

Next round, just keep pounding, keep up the pressure, get as many spells into play per round as possible. An alienist summon of a few combat machines (celestial dire lions would be brutal). Heals on the queen are a must when the ranged spells get exhausted. Once the king and queen are dead (and hopefully the area effects killed a lot of the mooks) clean up the leftovers.

I don't think a good DM would give you guys anything absolutely overwhelming without a clue as to how to evade the situation. Retreat sounds risky. Based on the opening read, the glyphs reset (the paladin was thrown back into one he had already set off, and it went off again), and if they're being pursued, they won't have time to heal during the escape.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
DungeonMaster said:
So let me get this straight... you decided to fight a lich without even a single anti-magic field spell preped?
No forcecage?
No maze spells?
No passwall?
No stone shape?

If he plays the monsters very poorly you're likely all dead. If his monster control is even average there's no hope.
Can you guys post your character sheets? If there's any way out or chance of victory it's likely something you're ignoring on your sheets.

Pretty sure the Diviner is packing 1 or more Forcecages. He's the only character who could have maze, and don't think he knows it yet.

Passwall isn't something we've had much mileage out of thus far... Disintegrates and polymorphing into digging stuff has dealt with the walls we've needed to. Not much use against Negative Energy Walls, unfortunately. :(

Stone shape would be nice.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Jdvn1 said:
What lets you swap for a Heal?

I've got a feat. It's either in Complete Divine or Book of Exalted Deeds, and it's called Divine Spontaneity. For the price of 1 Turning Attempt, I can swap out one prepared spell for one Domain Spell. I've chosen the Healing domain. Duplicates a lot of my clerical power, but with a little more oomph, and means I can swap for heals. Which has proven to be incredibly useful...

Eccles

OK. I've caught up now.

Running away: Not possible. The door we came in through disappeared behind us.

Antimagic Effects: Morrus is running the 'psionics are different' rule, and none of us have had a chance to create any 'null-psionic' spells.

Those anti-psionic items: Remember. They were given to us by the Slaad King. How effective are they gonna be?

We've got to fight to survive. Unless we can convince the two bosses to fight one another.

Check me on this - you can't quicken Summon spells, can you? They're full round spells. Or am I wrong?

Eccles

There was one other thing... What was it...?

Oh yeah. I don't like the sudden appearance of Morrus' thread. Especially since it seems to have as many posts in half the time as this one...

Ulp.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Here are my thoughts. You're going to need a dispel magic on that lich ASAP. Given that the door exploded, and the paladin had to run back to get inside, that gave her enough time to throw up a contingency, which could have included stoneskin, etc. Is she psionic, or arcane? Is he using the option that dispel magic affects psionic powers?

Second thing, is that you want to cast a silence spell on her throne as quickly as possible. The throne can't save, and she'll be in the area. If nothing else, she won't be able to bark orders at her minions.

Confusion on the Slaad. They're fighters. They have pathetic will saves. At least some of them will starting attacking the other ones. You get like a 1 in 4 chance of one of them attacking you. Which leads me to the next thing:

Wall of Force. Block off the Slaad as soon as the confusion takes effect. They won't be able to get to you then, and they can keep themselves occupied with the confusion effect.

Solid Fog on the Githyanki. Send in one of the freedom of movement fighters in to deal with them as they try to get out of the fog.

The rest of the tanks should focus directly on the lich. She can't cast if she's having to make concentration checks all the time. The paladin should focus on smite evil attacks every round if possible.

Leave a crack in the wall of force if possible (a gap away from the wall, perhaps), enough to send in a DB fireball. That should soften them up some more.

Slime wave on the Githyanki. I have no idea what this spell does, but it sounds nasty.

That should give them all something to think about.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Eccles said:
There was one other thing... What was it...?

Oh yeah. I don't like the sudden appearance of Morrus' thread. Especially since it seems to have as many posts in half the time as this one...

Ulp.
Right, EN World is full of rat bastard DMs who're always willing to help out one of their fellows. :)

Remove ads