• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HELP?! What can I do to convice a DM to use PSI in his game?

sjmiller

Explorer
As has already been suggested, in general you should always talk with the DM about what you would like to bring into a game. Now, judging by the fact that you said 2/3 of the group do not like psionics, don't be surprised if he says that it would just not work in the game.

Not every character type works in every campaign. In my campaign, for example, psionics just would not work. Why? Because when I started the game I gave the players a survey and one of the things I asked is how they feel about psionics in a fantasy game. The group responded almost unanimously (90%) that psionics do not have a place in a fantasy game. Frankly, I agree with them.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
In the game wherre I play a caster, I hate the 3.5 Psionics for the simple and glaring fact that, as printed, the Kineticist is grossly over-demolition-powered compared to a standard caster and there's the matter of their specialized vs. non-specialized powers lists are completely smoking crack. (Fortunately, with a simple level 8 Energy Missile exploit, I got the DM and the Psion to agree, so they've toned it down a bit from what's printed.)

Other than that, I like them -- it makes more sense to me that spontaneous casters have power points than spell slots.

So why do your fellow players hate psions? Maybe you can house-rule them to facilitate that a bit.

::Kaze

Arnwyn

First Post
Dogbrain said:
Not reasonable? I'll tell you who would be unreasonable, any player who us so much of a jackass as to pull such a selfish stunt, that's who would be unreasonable. If a 2/3 majority of players in a game are against a feature that has been banned, the reasonable and mature thing would not be to selfishly insist upon including that feature.
No kidding. When the word "reasonable" was used in the context of that first post, I had a good chuckle.

Gothmog

First Post
You definitely need to talk to your DM about it. Psionics don't fit into every world, and if the other DMs and players don't want to use them/don't like them, it would be best if you came up with some other concept. Forcing other players to fit your style is a BAD move. Majority rule and all.

Nellisir

Hero
Piratecat said:
Would they allow the rules if you called it sorcery variant?

See, that's exactly why I don't allow psionics. A sorcerer is a spontaneously casting wizard. Psionics is another means of achieving the same end. You end up with "divine" magic, "arcane" magic, and "psionic" magic, and the differences between "psionic" and "arcane" effects are pretty slim.

Cheers
Nell.

Psion

Adventurer
Nellisir said:
See, that's exactly why I don't allow psionics. A sorcerer is a spontaneously casting wizard. Psionics is another means of achieving the same end. You end up with "divine" magic, "arcane" magic, and "psionic" magic, and the differences between "psionic" and "arcane" effects are pretty slim.

Some might say that the difference between a sword and an axe is pretty slim.

But for the player who wants to make an axe fighter, the fact that it's not a sword makes all the difference.

Talmun

First Post
If anyone is interested, Los will be presenting his request to the party as a whole on Sunday, I had him make two PCs (one Psi and one not)...so we'll see.

buzzard

First Post
Psion said:
Some might say that the difference between a sword and an axe is pretty slim.

But for the player who wants to make an axe fighter, the fact that it's not a sword makes all the difference.

Yes but your axe doesn't happen to be the only one in the world, and have a drastic effect on how the world works.

buzzard

Remove ads