• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a Dwarven Paladin please

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
This is my possible secondary character for an upcoming game. Dwarf Paladin of Moradin. He's a DPS paladin with Dwarven Weapon Training and using a Mordenkrad.

Question about the Mordenkrad. Its 2-handed, +2, 2d6, Brutal 1. So because of the Brutal 1 the damage variance is 4-12?

Any suggestions for improvement and advancement would be appreciated. Thanks!

(skills are done differently due to Houserules being used in the campaign)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Cradik Brightkiln, level 1
Dwarf, Paladin
Build: Ardent Paladin
Background: Geography - Mountains (+2 to Dungeoneering)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 11 Will: 13
HP: 30 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +5, Endurance +7, Insight +7, Dungeoneering +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Heal +2, History, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth -2, Streetwise -1, Thievery -2, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training

POWERS
Lay on Hands: Ardent Vow
Paladin at-will 1: Holy Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Heedless Fury
Paladin daily 1: Blood of the Mighty

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Plate Armor, Mordenkrad

============

Dr_Sage

First Post
Question about the Mordenkrad. Its 2-handed, +2, 2d6, Brutal 1. So because of the Brutal 1 the damage variance is 4-12?

Correct. Your minimum weapon damage is 4.

I love lawfull good dwarfs.

I suggest getting:

Basic Feats:

- Weapon Expertise - self expanatory.
- Toughness - As a heavy weapon user menacing defender you are likely to draw attention to yourself, and it makes perfect sense by the way, so I recommend this to back you up.
- Improved Initiative - depends heavly on playstyle, but if you want do charge/drop them before they drop you...

Utility Powers:

Either Virtue (good to the point of almost imbalanced IMHO) or Holy Weapon (self expanatory, fitting the DPS style).

Just my 2 cents.

PS: I usually enjoy putting points on stats important to my class even if I wont use them. But its a matter of personal choice, nothing mechanic about it. If I make a Charisma paladin I feel like having at least 13 strenght (I use a plate, makes sense). And If I am a str paladin I tend to have some degree of charisma.

Just flavor of course.

PS: Heedless Fury will make you extra happy, 12-36 + 6 is pure pain.

happybandit

First Post
This is actually very similar to a character I'm playing now. It has worked out great. I took Durable as second level feat to help off set the use of Lay on Hands. The main difference between my character and yours is I use a craghammer and a heavy shield instead of the mordenkrad.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I suggest getting:

Basic Feats:

- Weapon Expertise - self expanatory.
- Toughness - As a heavy weapon user menacing defender you are likely to draw attention to yourself, and it makes perfect sense by the way, so I recommend this to back you up.
- Improved Initiative - depends heavly on playstyle, but if you want do charge/drop them before they drop you....

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Good to know I was on a good plan

Utility Powers:

Either Virtue (good to the point of almost imbalanced IMHO) or Holy Weapon (self expanatory, fitting the DPS style).

I think I was going to go with Bless Weapon. +1 attack rolls, +1d6 Radiant. To Hit and Extra Damage is always a good thing.

PS: I usually enjoy putting points on stats important to my class even if I wont use them. But its a matter of personal choice, nothing mechanic about it. If I make a Charisma paladin I feel like having at least 13 strenght (I use a plate, makes sense). And If I am a str paladin I tend to have some degree of charisma.

Just flavor of course..

I normally dont like put a stat into the negatives but the 8 Cha wasnt from a powergamer decision. I dont see this Dwarf very personable... It does make things a bit hard as it limits his choice of powers tremendously. Still, I can live with it I think.

PS: Heedless Fury will make you extra happy, 12-36 + 6 is pure pain.

Heedless Fury is nice but I was floored when I saw Blood of the Mighty...
Daily, 4[W] +Str (+4) and its RELIABLE!!!! Yes I take 5 damage I cant reduce... but thats 16-48 +6... somethings going to go down hard...

Dr_Sage

First Post
Ops... my bad! By Holy Weapon I meant Bless Weapon. I agree.

If you want to put your strenght in good use and (again) depending on playstyle, you could also multiclass barbarian, getting Athletics to jump/climb when needed plus the pseudo-rage (+2 damage) for an encounter.

Dire Human

First Post
I'd probably recommend Mighty Challenge to bring your divine challenge and divine sanction back to life; you do have Divine Power, don't you? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads