• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a feline player race

Jurble

First Post
well i figured that the concept im working off is already considered an LA+0 species, so by throwing in a few things (large size and +2str) on top of its current abilities i could turn it into a LA +1 species. Basically id make the character start as the species with no class, then at lvl2 he can take his first lvl of monk. Im just not so good at this balancing stuff and im worried that it may be to weak to be worth giving up a lvl for. what do you think?

Jurble said:
well i figured that the concept im working off is already considered an LA+0 species, so by throwing in a few things (large size and +2str) on top of its current abilities i could turn it into a LA +1 species. Basically id make the character start as the species with no class, then at lvl2 he can take his first lvl of monk. Im just not so good at this balancing stuff and im worried that it may be to weak to be worth giving up a lvl for. what do you think?
The concept you're working off of is Togorians, yes? Well, they don't have LA at ALL in Star Wars, so that's not the best thing to judge. Many of SW races SHOULD have LAs if you port them into D&D, etc.

Jurble

First Post
sorry for the confusion im working of the Kathos species (but making them more like the species i want which is similar to the togorians in the han solo books not the SWRPG game)

Here are the base stats for the race:

Originally Posted by Klaus
Kathos Racial Traits:

- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Kathos are agile and balanced, but their lighter frames make them less sturdy than humans. They have very keen senses, but trust instinct more than reason.

- Medium: As Medium creatures, kathos have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

- Kathos base land speed is 30 feet.

- Low-light Vision: A Kathos can see twice as far as a human in poor lighting conditions.

- Natural Weapons: An unarmed kathos can attack with 2 claws, each dealing 1d3 damage. Although they have sharp teeth, a kathos’ bite is too narrow to do much damage. A kathos monk can choose to do bludgeoning or slashing damage with his unarmed attacks, but when doing slashing damage it can't be nonlethal damage.

- +2 racial bonus to Balance, Move Silently and Listen checks. Kathos are predators at heart.

- +2 racial bonus to Handle Animal, Ride and wild empathy checks when dealing with felines. Kathos can empathize with felines better than most humanoid races.

- Bonus feat: Blind-Fight. Their keen hearing and sensitive whiskers help kathos fight unseen foes.

- Sonic Vulnerability: Kathos suffer a –2 penalty to saves against sonic and sound-based attacks.

- Light Vulnerability: Kathos suffer a -2 penalty to saves against light effects that may cause dazzling or blinsing effects (such as the "flare" spell).

- Automatic Languages: Common, Kathian. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnoll, Giant, Orc, Sylvan. Kathos are familiar with the languages of their neighboors.

Favored Class: Monk. A multiclass kathos’ monk class does not count when determining wether he takes an experience penalty for multiclassing. The monk tradition is a way for kathos to connect to their inner grace and strength, if they can overcome their chaotic nature.

That is supposed to be an LA0 race. I figured if i make them large sized and give thme a +2 to str that might make a decent LA+1 race. (So the player would end up take 19lvls of monk and 1 of species)

Im just worried that it might be:
-To weak considering the loss of a class lvl
-To strong considering the advantages in the race (im not so good with balancing)
-Cause problems for me as a DM creating encounters.

im not sure how this would effect the encounters i would be creating for the group or if it would become more/less balanced as we go along.

Sorry for all the questions and the miscommunication but thanks a tonf or all the help. ive given up on the base togorian SW stats because they dont really fit what im looking for here. tnx guys!

Marc

Klaus

First Post
Simply adding a +2 to Str will give the Kathos a +1 Level Adjustment (for "unbalanced ability adjustments"). So go for it!

Jurble

First Post
ok awesome :D will adding the large size as well as the +2str be sufficient to cause him to become LA+2? Id like to keep it at LA+1 but those are two things i would really like to add to fit my imagined species :D

tnx for allt he help!

Klaus

First Post
Yes, making them Large as well as giving them +2 Str would probably push them into LA +1.

If you have a copy of Races of Stone, there's a new special quality (first presented in the Goliaths) called Powerful Build. Essentially, the race is Medium, but functions as Large for most things (they can wield Large weapons, they get Large size bonus on grapple checks, and all that), but still have a 5-feet fighting space and a 5-feet reach.

Just out of curiosity, you're thinking of making this race how big? Ogre-sized (circa 10 feet tall)?

Jurble

First Post
ahhh ok ill have to search around for that!
nah not ogre sized im thinking more like wookie size. bigger than your average humanoid but still of a stature to fit into most places (Althougn bent over :D)

ill definately have to check that out coz according to swrpg wookies are medium creatures. tnx a ton for that! :D

Jurble

First Post
Ok so heres my final LA+1 build for this race inc. that last (thanks Klaus)

*race* Racial Traits:

- +2 Strength +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Kathos are agile
and balanced, but their lighter frames make them less sturdy than humans. They have very
keen senses, but trust instinct more than reason.

- Size: Medium

Powerful Build (Ex)

The physical stature of *race* lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

- Kathos base land speed is 30 feet.

- Low-light Vision: A Kathos can see twice as far as a human in poor lighting conditions.

- Natural Weapons: An unarmed kathos can attack with 2 claws, each dealing 1d3 damage.
Although they have sharp teeth, a kathos’ bite is too narrow to do much damage. A kathos
monk can choose to do bludgeoning or slashing damage with his unarmed attacks, but when
doing slashing damage it can't be nonlethal damage.

- +2 racial bonus to Balance, Move Silently and Listen checks. Kathos are predators at heart.

- +2 racial bonus to Handle Animal, Ride and wild empathy checks when dealing with felines. Kathos can empathize with felines better than most humanoid races.

- Bonus feat:

Blind-Fight. Their keen hearing and sensitive whiskers help kathos fight unseen
foes.

Tracking: As natural hunters they have a keen ability to track their prey

- Sonic Vulnerability: Kathos suffer a –2 penalty to saves against sonic and sound-based
attacks.

- Light Vulnerability: Kathos suffer a -2 penalty to saves against light effects that may
cause dazzling or blinsing effects (such as the "flare" spell).

- Automatic Languages: Common, Kathian. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnoll, Giant, Orc, Sylvan. Kathos are familiar with the languages of their neighboors.

Favored Class: Monk. A multiclass kathos’ monk class does not count when determining wether he takes an experience penalty for multiclassing. The monk tradition is a way for kathos to connect to their inner grace and strength, if they can overcome their chaotic nature.

LA+1 (ECL+1)

So thats the final all round race, the character will start without a class (except for his 1st lvl HP's so he actually has some!) and is going to then take monk up to lvl 19.

My only real worry is that this may cause problems for me as DM with designing encounters etc. Anyone here see any potential problems with the build?

thnaks so much to everyone for the help especially Klaus. You guys rock! (and have saved me from having a very unhappy player! :p)

Last edited:

Undead Lincoln

First Post
Catmen
2 Str, -2 Int
Alertness as bonus feat.
Low light vision.
Claws: The catmen can deal lethal slashing damage with an unarmed strike instead of subdual and do not provoke an AoO with an unarmed attack.
LA: +0

I like +0 races and perfer not to use ECL. If you want a more powerful Catmen race, I would use the following. It has 2 racial HD of humanoid which allows more powerful stats and racial abilities.

Catmen
+2 Str, +2 Dex
+2 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks
Low light vision.
Claws: Can do d6 slashing damage with a natural attack and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Always lands on feet: Catmen treat all falls as if they were 10 feet shorter.
40 foot base land speed.
Racial HD (2 HD of humanoid)
LA:+0

Remove ads