Help with a rust monster

Andion Isurand

First Post
I know that my Glassteel weapons and equipment will be alright. :D

( since Glassteel isn't considered to be metal, glass or crystal )

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
That's for unattended items. Attended items use the item's saves OR their possessors--whichever is better.

Camarath said:
Here is the rule from the SRD about item saving throws.

"Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down"

Since this is a special ability, IMO it would not provoke an AoO.

Belares

First Post
RUST MONSTER

In my last game i had a rust monster for the froup to encounter as it was part of a adventure I made up. The "terror" of Gorhan it was called and the rust monster was the terror, obviously. I had it wearing wood armor and was buffed by a evil cleric who was making it attack people on the road to get to there sellable items.

The players not knowing what is was attacked it and had a good fight with it and the cleric/warrior got a first hand look at why it is called a rust monster as her armor become bits of rust ..of course the RM then stopped to have a snack of the rest of the metal on the ground. That is when the evil cleric attacked the group as he saw the group would not run from it and decided to dispatch them himself.

Anyway the party lost 1 weapon and 1 suit of chanmail. All the RM has to do is make a touch attack..which of course is way easy to do. Touch attack ignore armor & shield bonus as well as natural armor..you do get deflection, luck and dex bonus. If group has monks or druids you should have no problem with the critter.

Last edited:

paulewaug

I have No Problem with destroying the pcs gear, because being mean to them gives me a chane to be nice to them.

You can do it too much and I have not yet used a rust monster IMC but I have sundered the dwarfs most prized waraxe, the look on his face was priceless!
Unfotunaly the cleric mended it..darn it!
(he had a back up weapon and a weaponsmith back at camp that could fix it for him..oh well!)

But not to hijack the thread with the "sunder" controversy!
------------------------------------------------------------------

So this seems like kind of a dumb question but:
Do you allow the attack that causes damage to "the rusty" actually hurt it?
------------------------------
We have run an encounter using just 1 so far and both our group's "other dm" and myself agreed it was amussing to not let the weapon even hurt it because the item Instantly turns to rust and is ruined.
It makes the rusty pretty scary that way! ;)
I knew what the creaure was because as a player I am (besides the other dm) the most experienced and also Dm my own game, so the dm let my pc, a dwarf, make a knowledge check to verify what it was (my reasoning was that dwarves Love metal and a rusty wuold be a blight in their eyes so they would know to look out for them).Our party's cleric..did something to stun it for a round, I don't remember what, and then my chacter dropped a couple of Master Crafted longswords we found and ran back the other way.
One of the players was flipping out because of "all the money (I) had just thrown away" but I told him that both he and the cleric should be glad that we only lost a couple of swords we weren't using, rather than lamenting the loss of the clerics Banded armor and His Greatsword! We were trapped in an series of underground passages and had not yet been able to find the way, we knew that we would likely have to fight a red dragon because of rumours we had heard back in town, (quite some distance away) and that all we could count on was what we had on us and what we may get lucky and find.
I did propose that our characters could "strip down" and go back with clubs (we had found some goats peend in a wooden pen) and kill it but he was reluctant for some reason..go figure!

But I find that because the Rust Monster is so distinctive that the players will likely know what they face unless you "wolf in sheeps clothing" it.

Sorry for the long post!

Remove ads