Help with a Scout Build

Patlin

Explorer
Fat Daddy said:
I thought there was a feat that allowed you to take a move action and a full attack but when I see that written down it would obviously be broken. I was probably thinking of Shot on the Run with the move before and after a ranged attack.

Hustle accomplishes that. It's a power though, not a feat, and costs you every time you use it.

Thanee

First Post
szilard said:
Ranged scout - go mounted, as you can make a full attack when your mount is moving (and get your skirmish bonus on all attacks).

Check the errata for the book, they have clarified, that mounted skirmish doesn't work.

@FD: Not just Manyshot... Greater Manyshot

Bye
Thanee

TheNovaLord

First Post
Thanee said:
Check the errata for the book, they have clarified, that mounted skirmish doesn't work.

to me that seems daft, you are after manuevringaround the battle field to get the best 'shot' (which is how viking archers used to work i believe)

does it work while flying, levitating, swimming, jumping, tumbling, climbing, falling, acrobating, balancing.

I thought as long as it was move action more than 10ft plus a standard action to have one attack roll, that was a skirmish?

JohnD

Fat Daddy

First Post
TheNovaLord said:
to me that seems daft, you are after manuevringaround the battle field to get the best 'shot' (which is how viking archers used to work i believe)

does it work while flying, levitating, swimming, jumping, tumbling, climbing, falling, acrobating, balancing.

I thought as long as it was move action more than 10ft plus a standard action to have one attack roll, that was a skirmish?

JohnD
Thanee is correct. The errata specifically states that skirmish doesn't work while mounted. However it also says that skirmish works when the scout has moved 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn. (Note it is AT LEAST 10 feet and NOT MORE THAN 10 feet). So if the scout had a free or swift action activated item that gave a short range teleport (Not dim door since it specifically says you can take no other actions afterwards) or a quickened spell granting the same, you could move your 10' and still get a full attack with skirmish damage to all attacks.

Patlin

Explorer
Fat Daddy said:
Thanee is correct. The errata specifically states that skirmish doesn't work while mounted. However it also says that skirmish works when the scout has moved 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn. (Note it is AT LEAST 10 feet and NOT MORE THAN 10 feet). So if the scout had a free or swift action activated item that gave a short range teleport (Not dim door since it specifically says you can take no other actions afterwards) or a quickened spell granting the same, you could move your 10' and still get a full attack with skirmish damage to all attacks.

"Inconstant Location" from Complete Psionic is great for this.

Fat Daddy

First Post
Patlin said:
"Inconstant Location" from Complete Psionic is great for this.
Patlin said:
I've been playing with a scout/psychic warrior (and later Slayer, but that's not relevant.) Hustle works very nicely with Skirmish. If you can fit 4 levels of psychic warrior into your build, moving and then taking a full attack with skirmish bonuses can be yours. If you're melee rather than ranged, psionic lions charge is also a possibility.

Okay Patlin, you've convinced me. :) So now I have to go and pick up Complete Psionic. Thanks alot. You just cost me $29.95 + Tax. My wife will be thrilled. :p

Seriously, there's some great ideas in here and I appreciate everyone's help/advice. Once I get the character stat'd out I'll post the block here and you all can critique/refine him for me. :)

Patlin

Explorer
Complete Psionic has inconstant location, but all the other stuff is in the XPH (which is in the SRD and available online free.)

pawsplay

Hero
TheNovaLord said:

JohnD

The ability contains the phrase "When you move... ." The mount is not you moving. Presumably, it takes some very skillful maneuvering that just cannot be down on horseback to get those sweet shots.

Now, where logic really breaks down is when the scout gets a surprise round. A scout gets no skirmish bonus during an ambush, because he cannot both move and attack (partial actions only). Scouts can't sneak up and snipe someone; often, their best tactic would be to do nothing during the surprise round and hope they win initiative.

TheNovaLord

First Post
hmmm..... we are gonna to stick to our mounted skirmishings

does seem to be when a player says " how do i get my X do do Y" the answer is often only "psionically"....we dont use psionics at all, and am convinced from chat on the forums looks a bit twinky.

Psionics are fine in sci/fi modern, but never thought they fitted fantasy, that is what magic is for....anyway different discussion

I thought the whole skirmsih was you give up lots of attacks but taking to maunvering for the one sweet shot. ah well

Good luck with your build

John

Remove ads