• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a tank build

Arc

First Post
If you're able to get Complete Warrior in, then the way to go is clear: Straight fighter, with oodles of Improved Toughness feats. The feat adds 1hp/HD, so it's effectively as if your constitution was two points higher. Repeat it 6 or so times, and you have a hitpoint sponge.

Being able to soak damage is the name of the game for a tank (at least by MMORPG standards... so sue me). Just find a way for the character to consistently make opponents attack him in melee, and you're set.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Arc said:
If you're able to get Complete Warrior in, then the way to go is clear: Straight fighter, with oodles of Improved Toughness feats. The feat adds 1hp/HD, so it's effectively as if your constitution was two points higher. Repeat it 6 or so times, and you have a hitpoint sponge.

Being able to soak damage is the name of the game for a tank (at least by MMORPG standards... so sue me). Just find a way for the character to consistently make opponents attack him in melee, and you're set.
Improved Toughness does not stack with itself. Feats never stack with themselves unless they say so (like the regular Toughness feat does).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
the_mighty_agrippa said:
Why does this guy need to be a tank? Is it to maximize damage? Is it to protect the other characters? That choice greatly determines the future of the character, especially if you look at Devoted Defender or Dwarven Defender down the line.
Since he doesn't want to be a dwarf, dwarven defender isn't an option. But Devoted Defender is a great choice for a maximized AC tank.

Sarhuin

First Post
The Silly "Tank" in Question!

'Lo all. I'm the "Tank" in question. When I brought my quandry to my good dwarven companion, I used the word "Tank". I don't think that is what our party needs. . .nor do I think I wish to play the traditional "tank". What I'd like to accomplish is a fairly decent hp/ac warrior that will help flank opponents for our rogue, free up the Fighter/cleric if he needs to cast or go heal someone, and be able to respond to 'emergencies' with some amount of speed.

This is what I am considering so far: (Note: we're not powergaming at all, our DM won't allow it, so I'm bypassing a number of 'killer combos' (like with karmic strike, etc.) so my ideas don't get rejected outright ;)

Human: (stats on 42 points)
Str: 16 (10points)
Dex: 18 (10 points +1lvl4, +1lvl8)
Con: 16 (10 points)
Int: 14 (6 points)
Wis: 14 (6 points)
Cha: 8 (0 points)
(42 points)

Feats:
(1) Mnk1 - Stunning fist, CL1: Power attack, human: weapon focus
(2) Mnk2 - Combat Reflexes
(3) Mnk2/Ftr1 - Combat Expert, Improved Trip
(4) Mnk2/Ftr2 - Two Weapon fighting*
(5) Mnk2/Ftr3 -
(6) Mnk2/Ftr4 - (?), (?) two unused feats. . .suggestions welcome
(7) Kensai 1
(8) Kensai 2

*Sub-Question: Since a monk can attack with any part of his body, can a monk wielding a 2h weapon also use two weapon fighting? Attack with a ranseur with his regular attacks, and TWF attack with a foot? or head? or Elbow?

The Two feats I have left I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking improved disarm, or dodge+defensive throw, or heading up the spring attack tree.

I think the stats I have work out pretty well. . .I'd like a higher str, but 16 is pretty good and +Str items aren't too hard to comeby. Couple that with power attack with a 2h weapon and the Kensai's Power Surge and this char should be able to pack a nasty punch when needed. He'll also be able to tie up opponents with a reach weapon + trip + combat reflexes to protect the casters of the group, and still be able to flank (and stun) opponents for the rogue to maximize his sneak attacks.

If I roll average hps for this char (assuming full hp die for first level) I'll have 73. Hopefully I'll do better, but thats not so bad. The monk and kensai levels give me a great will save (hard to find in a fighter!). Dex + Monk levels give a good base save for reflex (plus Evasion and eventually Withstand will cover that base too) and the Monk +4 levels of fighter shore up the fort saves.

Im not sure what I should do for Armor. That's the weakness I see thusfar. . .without armor this char will have an AC of 16. Ugh! Of course I'll have 27,000 gp to fix this but bracers and rings and whatnot are expensive!

Its late here, so I hope this came out at least fairly cohesive. Appreciate thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks!

~S~

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I'd recommend picking up "Improved Grapple", possibly in place of Stunning Fist.

Being able to grapple effectively works great against medium opponents (and even large opponents if you buff up with an Enlarge Person). You can use it to help the rogue sneak attack opponents with Uncanny Dodge, to lower the AC of high dex opponents (so the rogue can hit them easier), and you can completely shut down an enemy spellcaster if you pin them.

undeaddan

First Post
Before we start working with this monk/kensai thing...maybe we should ask "Is his DM going to allow these things?" it's entirely possible that given the overly controlling DM described by Thorimar and Sarhuin, maybe he wouldn't just allow any old min/max build into his game.

Of course, any DM who allows a 42 point build is loopy anyway so I guess we should start talking about Draconic Planetouched Ogres with a couple of minor artifacts in tow.

Just my $0.02,

Dan

Particle_Man

Explorer
Sarhuin said:
'Lo all. I'm the "Tank" in question. When I brought my quandry to my good dwarven companion, I used the word "Tank". I don't think that is what our party needs. . .nor do I think I wish to play the traditional "tank". What I'd like to accomplish is a fairly decent hp/ac warrior that will help flank opponents for our rogue, free up the Fighter/cleric if he needs to cast or go heal someone, and be able to respond to 'emergencies' with some amount of speed.

This is what I am considering so far: (Note: we're not powergaming at all, our DM won't allow it, so I'm bypassing a number of 'killer combos' (like with karmic strike, etc.) so my ideas don't get rejected outright ;)

Human: (stats on 42 points)
Str: 16 (10points)
Dex: 18 (10 points +1lvl4, +1lvl8)
Con: 16 (10 points)
Int: 14 (6 points)
Wis: 14 (6 points)
Cha: 8 (0 points)
(42 points)

*Sub-Question: Since a monk can attack with any part of his body, can a monk wielding a 2h weapon also use two weapon fighting? Attack with a ranseur with his regular attacks, and TWF attack with a foot? or head? or Elbow?

Too bad you aren't using classes from "Complete Warrior" or I would recommend Swashbuckler. As it stands, I would say the Spring Attack tree is a good bet, so that you can get to where the action is rather than trading full attacks with a hill giant.
For the Sub-question, I think there is the flurry ability of the monk, which can be combined with some weapons (but not ransuer). If you want to attack with a 2h weapon (not a double weapon like the quarterstaff) and a foot, maybe you need the Multi-weapon attack feat from the MM?

Remove ads