• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Cave Adventure

papa_laz

First Post
Hi all,

So the PC's are currently traveling overland towards a volcanic mountain range known as the Southern Peaks which they need to get across. When they get there they will follow a path halfway up the mountain which will lead them to a cave entrance. This is about where I ran out of inspiration.

I've written down a few ideas such as them finding a small lost child, who will either lead them through the cave to the other side of the mountain or lead them into a trap. Also I have a fairly cool magma cavern area written out which includes a stone bridge over a lake of lava. A cryptic message on a statue at the base of the bridge implies that the PC's need to sacrifice a living soul to avoid the wrath of the fire god. Also I've thought of a hidden crypt which the PC's can grave rob, (which I know they will enjoy) but in the process they will disturb a trapped wight.

I'm toying with the idea of a cave dwelling tribe, but everything I think of seems cliched. Kinda ironic that the most classic aspect of the D&D game offers me the least amount of inspiration. I'm looking for ideas in the category of evil, surreal or spooky. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

dingle

First Post
How about a bit of Cthulhu madness. An insane Lich trying to open a path to another dimension.. May a few mindflayers and other tenticalled beasts that have slipped into this dimension. A few experiments that have gone wrong. Lots of mysterious runes and parts of the walls that seem to be not quite right....

papa_laz

First Post
Thats a good idea. In fact the players were requesting the use of Cthulu sanity rules due to the traumatic experiences their characters have had so far. This might be the session to tip them over the edge. :devil:

ajanders

Explorer
We have:
A small weak guide (possibly treacherous)
A moral test (sacrifice to a "fire god" in exchange for passage)
Lovecraftian horror.
A crypt with something that can be released.

OK...
Some time ago a pleasant mountain city was buried under lava and ash and rock when the mountain it was built on turned out to be a volcano.
It has lain underground ever since.
But the races of a D&D world are resilient, magic is a potent aid, and the gods are merciful...by some perverse definition of mercy. Some of the inhabitants survived, entombed in the remains of their city.
Cut off from the sun and conventional agriculture, most of them have degenerated into various levels of insanity or bestiality: think the Sawney Beanes. Mechanically these might be grimlocks, funky reskinned orcs, crazy humans, foulspawn, or you could reskin a whole mob of humanoids and throw together something that looks cool.
If you'll let me know what system you're playing, I can probably come up with something atmospheric.

One of these people is an explorer: he has wriggled and slithered his way up from the depths up to the surface world, where he meets the party.
Some of the party might trust or befriend him: he'll protect them to the death. Some of the party might not: he might betray them to his family or try to throttle them in their sleep. He can certainly guide them through the mountain to their destination...until something goes wrong and a hunt starts.

Fortunately, the party has an ace in the hole. All these degenerated people are afraid of fire: it burns their eyes ("The LIGHT! Hsssssss!!"), it burns them, and on some level they remember the fiery death of their city (legends, racial memory, whatever).
A torch can hold them back while it stays lit: so will a river of red-hot glowing magma. The party can escape the degenerates by heading upstream until they reach a lake of lava crossed by a natural stone bridge.
In the lake of lava reclines the powerful fire creature that (possibly) caused the volcano: the degenerates fear it as an angry god. In exchange for a living sacrifice he will allow the party to cross the bridge: the tunnel on the other side is a straight monster-free shot to the outside world.

Quandary for the party: do they use their dubiously trustworthy guide as the sacrifice? Think of it as a Lord of the Rings takeoff: you can sacrifice Gollum to escape the Mines of Moria without sacrificing Gandalf. Kinda tempting...

The party may decide not to sacrifice their guide and fight the fire monster. This should be possible -- and the party could even win! In that case, the party escapes along the bridge and out of the mountain, no problem.
Unfortunately, the fire monster served to bottle up the degenerates underground. Killing it opens up a way for the degenerates to get free of their underground prison and begin raiding the surface.
Dark moonless nights suddenly get a lot more dangerous, and the party may find it has an extra adventure it didn't plan on.

Thoughts from anyone?

papa_laz

First Post
Yes good work Ajanders, that has definitely inspired me. I'm even thinking I could combine the Lich idea and have the primitive tribals be under the command of a lich who has shown them a way out of the darkness in exchange for their services.

Remove ads