Help with Latin names for sci-fi human subraces

Ferret

Explorer
Rather then comment on them suckin' blood, why not latin for "preys on the light/living"? For the wild, why not the obvious Homo sapiens furo, thats only from my basic latin.

[Edit sorry didn't see the arena bit.
oh and gladiatoris would be like sword humans.

Dogbrain said:
And all the suggestions for "prototype" or "true" humans are just wrong, completely and utterly wrong. The taxonome for true humans would be Homo sapiens sapiens, which is our own taxonome.
Only if they ment us, not the PHB humans, which could be the same thing. Although they might name themselves differntly with all the other humans.

Last edited:

tetsujin28

First Post
A lot of the previous ones don't work quite right. But my suggestions would be:
Night humans h.s. vespertilio(or nocturnus)
Pure humans h.s. versus; if you don't want to keep h.s.sapiens
Warrior humans h.s. bellator

tarchon

First Post
Dogbrain said:
And all the suggestions for "prototype" or "true" humans are just wrong, completely and utterly wrong. The taxonome for true humans would be Homo sapiens sapiens, which is our own taxonome.

H. s. officinalis is one of those peculiar things known as a joke, officinalis being the usual species name for the "garden variety" of a plant, like Salvia officinalis (sage) or Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary).
The sapiens subspecies designation is mostly used to contrast "modern" H.s. with "archaic" H.s., since obviously there are no sister taxa at present in at the subspecies (or species, genus, or family) level. It's unlikely if there were sister taxa like those described that you would choose sapiens for the "garden variety" because it doesn't really describe the contrast among the subspecies very well.
And, BTW, "taxonome" also lacks beingawordness. Usually "taxon" describes both the generic abstract group and the name for the abstract group, though sometimes to be specific people say "taxon name" or something like that. A regular derivative for what you want to say would be "taxonym," but it isn't used regularly.

Dogbrain

First Post
tarchon said:
The downside is its lack of beingawordness.
Exsanguinatus, now that's a word, though exsanguinans would be more appropriate if they are more inclined to exsanguinate than to be exsanguinated.

Of course, if "lack of beingawordness" is a valid critique, then "lack of beingawordness" is an invalid critique, since "beingawordness" has "lack of "beingawordness".

tarchon

First Post
Dogbrain said:
Of course, if "lack of beingawordness" is a valid critique, then "lack of beingawordness" is an invalid critique, since "beingawordness" has "lack of "beingawordness".

Spooky, innit?

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Thanks all. And Dogbrain (you seem remarkably intelligent for a person with the brain of a canine :)) species is what I meant, I think. IIRC, deiiferent species can only produce sterile hybrids, which is what I wanted. So far what I have is:

Homo sapiens exemplar: "True" humans.
Homo noctirepens: Night-eyed assassins with chameleon skin and pit organs. Very fast and smart.
Homo belligerens: Humans designed for war. Fast and strong, but somewhat lacking in the mental field. These are unsuited to tactical modern warfare; they are primarily relegated to the positions of grunt or meat-shield.
Homo sapiens exsanguinans: Humans modified to be vampire-like. Prototype H. noctirepens designed by a scientist who'd seen too many vampire movies. No shapeshifting or supernatural abilities, but some low-power psionics and very, very tough. Note that they don not, technically, exsanguinate; they bear only a passing resemblance to any of the myriad varieties of mythological vampires. Note that they, unlike H. s. noctirepens, can interbreed with "standard" humans.
Homo (probably rudiculoflexor): Psychics. Basically the verrik.
Homo sapiens pugnans: Feral humans designed to fight in the arena.

A couple of these are labeled H. s. (something) rather than H. (something); these should be capable of producing fertile hybrids with "standard" humans. Thanks again, all.

Dirigible

Explorer
homo dracula.

I saw that one. Hammer Film's first forray into putting slash fiction onto celluloid. Pretty, good, all things considered; got four blood stained [snip] out of five.

Homo (probably rudiculoflexor):

This, I love.

I wonder, would they breed Gladiator-variants if they already had Belligerent-variants? A tough, dumb lump of muscle sounds like the ideal pit fighter to me.

hong

WotC's bitch
Dirigible said:
I saw that one. Hammer Film's first forray into putting slash fiction onto celluloid. Pretty, good, all things considered; got four blood stained [snip] out of five.

That's the guy in the Rocky Horror show, innit?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Dogbrain said:
Firstoff, if you are using distinct species names, then they are NOT mere "subraces". They are separate species, likely to be unable to interbreed successfully,

Right, just like humans and elves...

Remove ads