• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with minions for planar binding spells!

Olive

Explorer
Epametheus said:
Many of the outsiders were buffed in the transition from 3.0 to 3.5, along with the HD nerfs on the Ally and Binding spells.

The obvious reason for this is you need a Gate Spell to bring in a Solar, Pit Fiend, or Balor now, and a Greater Planar Binding/Ally to get a Cornugon, Marilith, or Planetar.

Didn't the HD boosts (which I'm totally into) have this effect anyway, without dropping the HD limits?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Olive said:
Didn't the HD boosts (which I'm totally into) have this effect anyway, without dropping the HD limits?

I think that the point is: they re-did the CR-to-HD relationship, and the X Binding HD limit reflects this new relationship.

-- N

Epametheus

First Post
Olive said:

No. The old limits were 8 HD, 16 HD, and 22 HD (as opposed to 6, 12, and 18).

Planar Binding in 3E would easily suffice to get the critters that you need Greater Planar Binding to get 3.5.

Jesus. Calling in a pit fiend or planetar with a 6th level spell is a lot of bang for your buck. I'm glad it never occured to anyone in my group (player or DM) to do that in 3.0E.

Olive

Explorer
Epametheus said:
No. The old limits were 8 HD, 16 HD, and 22 HD (as opposed to 6, 12, and 18).

My point was that because they raised the HD on, say, a balor (20HD), you would need gate anyway now, even if they didn't drop the limit.

It's irreleveant anyway, as we're using 3.5.

In case anyone is interested, here's my ideas so far. Feedback and new ideas always much appreciated!

Thraemeus, commonly known as Arken
This hound archon is a typical specimen of his order. He is haughty and blunt, as would be expected, and if he cannot be forced then will never agree to undertake a task if he is not fully convinced of its righteousness. If he trusts the binder and agrees with the purpose, while he still bristles at being forced to the material plane, he will often perform tasks of such risk that others would never agree. He does not fear for his life and is honest to a fault, but vengeful. He once attempted to return to the prime via the aid of a movanic deva and punish me for forcing him to undertake the transportation of a spellbook to Sharting the Necromancer, but I luckily had a dismissal prepared, and he seemed to have learned his lesson. Arken is a sworn sword in the service of Domiel, the ruler of Mercuria, Celestia’s second layer, and is a prime candidate for lesser planar binding, as archons of his order have relatively low forces of will.

Tibelgun
This mud slaad is fairly idiotic, but cheap. It will serve for a bauble, if you fail to merely compel its cooperation. Despite its lack of brains, its claws are still just as sharp as ever, and its screech is effective against most outsiders. Note that Tibelgun only speaks slaadi, so do not bother with the spell if you do not speak that language. Like all of its order, a perfect specimen for lesser planar binding, if not as powerful as some options.

Irorun, commonly known as Sawtooth
As far as I can ascertain, this oddity is the result of a mating between a fiendish troll and a bearded devil. The result is incredibly stupid, but tougher than a standard bearded devil, and just as rigorous. Sawtooth is an example of a lesser planar bindable legion of half-troll bearded devils that is in the service of Philotanus, known as the Lord of :):):):), a minor noble in the service of Bel on Avernus. Sawtooth is uninterested in any payment except magical weaponry, but is almost as lacking in will as a mud slaad, and easier to force than a standard bearded devil.

Burkúlfimph, commonly known as Darksneaker (Filth Imp exp4)
This filth imp has taken his race’s talent for forgery, and turned it into an art form, which he has dedicated his entire existence. I cannot imagine why one would call this creature unless it was specifically to forge some document, as Darksneaker’s stench is almost overwhelming. He is almost unbelievably uncharasmatic, and by all reports others of his order are even worse. Darksneaker can be useful however, and if not forced will usually do service for a service, rather than for monetary ends.

Chaikeh, commonly known as Aboc (Celestial Air Mephit Sor 3)
This celestial air mephit is a servant of Bahamut, Lord of the North Wind. He is flighty, but kind, and like almost all outsiders, resents being bound, but he can often be convinced to serve, especially if he feels the cause is just. In addition to the abilities of his kind, Aboc has some small modicum of spellcasting power.

Mamiah, commonly known as Esdleea (Coure Rog4)
Esdella is a coure eladrin in the service of Sehanine Moonbow, the Elven goddess of mysticism and the moon. She is an accomplished sneak, and can sometimes be pressed into stealing if that is what is required. Esdella is, like all celestials, intensely moral, and can be bargained with if she is interested in the cause. She also likes to play tricks she finds amusing, and the potential for games will help interest her. She is not as easy to compel as some of the other creatures named here, but can be incredibly useful.

Bulasil, commonly known as Piyan (Musteval Rog1/Ftr3)
This musteval guardinal, a bodyguard to the lupinal lord Serradus, is a tough little fighter. Despite his minuscule size, he can be very dangerous if it is required. I used Piyan as a trap of sorts, leaving him to protect my study when I knew assassins would be coming to visit, and he served very well.

Olive

Explorer
Epametheus said:
The obvious reason for this is you need a Gate Spell to bring in a Solar, Pit Fiend, or Balor now, and a Greater Planar Binding/Ally to get a Cornugon, Marilith, or Planetar.

Hey, I just noticed that this isn't actually true. A Pit Fiend still has 18HD, and is Greater Planar Bindable. That's kinda odd.

GreyShadow

Explorer
The Shrill by ConnorSB

I'm sure if you placed a request in either ConnorSB's or Iron Sheep's monster threads, they'd give you something to play with.

You could try Blackdirge, but I'm not sure if he knows what 6HD looks like.
:p

Garnfellow

Explorer
Hmmmmm. This is a good reminder that I really need to update my own group of planar ally monsters to 3.5. About a year ago I came up with a half dozen or so when one of my players picked up this spell. If I can get around to the update, I'll post some of the results here.

My player has actually only ever cast this spell once -- it was too much of a pain in the butt for him to bother with again. As an aside, after looking through the incantation rules in both Urban Arcana and Unearthed Arcana, I think an incantation is probably a much better game mechanic for summoning up powerful monsters than the planar ally spells.

Piratecat, that was a /great/ suggestion on creating customized outsiders with lots o flavor. I'll have to give it a spin.

Olive, I really like your description of the entities. Cool stuff!

Olive

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
Olive, I really like your description of the entities. Cool stuff!

Thanks! When I start to do stats I'll post them in the rogues gallery. While I'm posting I must say that I subscribed to your RG thread, and I always read through the updates, even if I'm not posting, so keep em coming!

Thanks for the suggestions GreyShadow. It's not stats I'm looking for exactly, and most of those threads are aimed at enemies, while I need more help with allies, but I'll give em a look over.

BlackDirge I'll ask when I need the gate-level creatures. :D

Zappo

Explorer
Epametheus said:
Jesus. Calling in a pit fiend or planetar with a 6th level spell is a lot of bang for your buck. I'm glad it never occured to anyone in my group (player or DM) to do that in 3.0E.
I had a player who summoned fiends routinely. The campaign eventually ended by completion of its story arc, but he single-handedly managed to prolong it by months thanks to this habit. He opened the world to invasion by two different fiendish armies, comdemned the soul of one of his comrades, caused a couple of balors to attack the party, and was about to complete yet another pact which would have granted access to the world to one of the Dark Eight when he got killed. All unwittingly, and usually without even offering a reward. I love planar bindings. :D
Of course, if you call good outsiders, they'll screw you out all the same, the only difference being that they'll force you to commit acts of unspeakable goodness instead.
The spell wasn't unbalanced in the least; the sheer danger of not spotting a loophole in your request is enough to keep it from casual usage. Well, it should be enough, sometimes it isn't (see the above player). :D

Remove ads