• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with Monk/ Druid for Storm King's Thunder

Tranquility Monk/ Moon Druid at level 10?

• Monk 4/ Druid 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monk 5/ Druid 5

• Monk 6/ Druid 4

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Monk 8/ Druid 2

Racing Breca

Villager
My main point was just that you're getting a significant freebie in your DM's interpretation of the monk AC bonus, if it was me I'd be all about taking maximum advantage of it. But you should absolutely put your character concept ahead of rules optimizations.

I don't think I'm getting a freebie. I feel like the AC issue is RAW and RAI. I'm also strongly in the camp that Natural weapons should be considered Monk weapons, since they are defined as simple weapons without the 2 handed characteristic. I understand that they are NOT unarmed strike.

I have a tough time NOT getting the most mileage possible out of my characters. I guess I want to play powerful characters who contribute a lot to the party.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I don't think I'm getting a freebie. I feel like the AC issue is RAW and RAI.
I might be misunderstanding, are you playing that in wild shape your AC is 10+natural armor+Dex+Wis? Or that you can choose between 10+natural armor+Dex or 10+Wis+Dex?

The latter is correct RAW, and per twitter, RAI. The former would be your DM giving you a goodie :)

jaelis

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding then. In that case, it's really up to you. As a moon druid, it can still be effective to take one monk level for the modest AC bump, but it's not a big deal. As a monk, you don't get all that much optimization benefit from druid levels.

But it sounds like what you want to play is a cool martial arts beast. As long as you can use your martial arts benefits in beast form, that should work OK. Druid 2 gets you CR 1 forms, Druid 6 gets you CR 2, one of those seems like the obvious break point.

Racing Breca

Villager
As a monk, you don't get all that much optimization benefit from druid levels.
Dire wolf monk is pretty combat optimized IMO. Pack tactics with 2d6 + dmg and a knockdown effect. Twice with extra attack, a bonus unarmed attack or two with flurry of blows... and stunning strikes on top of that. That's potentially 2 proned enemies and 2 more who are stunned. With 70-80 feet of mobilty, that's very possible.
The monk also gets essentially 2 large pools of temp HP. What's not to love about this multiclass... besides no spellcasting in wildshape?
At Druid 4, the Giant Octopus and giant toad offer up some really cool grapple/restrain effects.
I really appreciate the feedback. It's giving me an opportunity to think critically.
Thanks Jaelis

jaelis

Well, compare say monk 7 with monk 5/druid 2

Monk 7 has base 3 attacks at +8, for total damage of 2d8+10 + 1d6+5 = 27.5 (assuming you have a spear or staff). Open hand style gives you a good knock prone, push, or reaction denial options. Your AC will be 19. You've got ki-empowered strikes, evasion, stillness of mind, and two more ki points.

Wolf monk has 3 attacks at +5, for total damage 4d6+ 6 + 1d6 + 3 = 26.5. Your knockdown is good, no ki required though the save DC is lower. Certainly pack tactics is great. You also get 37 free hp, but your AC is down to 17. (For a 20 Wis, which means your attacks in normal form are down a bit.)

Assuming you can often but not always take advantage of pack tactics, they seem sort of comparable overall to me. It does make you even more short-rest dependent though, so that depends on the campaign. I don't think the druid levels are a problem, just not an obvious improvement over straight monk. So if it sounds cool go for it :)

jaelis

giant toad
A memorable turn from one of our games: we were confronting a mad wizard in his tower. My daughter the druid wild shaped to a toad and grappled the wizard. The DM had prepared a custom spell, defenestration, that caused all nearby to jump out a window, which was powerful at the top of the tower. The wizard cast it without thinking things through, the toad failed the save, and jumped out the window with the wizard in tow. When they hit, the bucket of hp came in handy for the toad, but the wizard wasn't so lucky :)

Remove ads