help with optimizing the Sea Sorc

ShogunAssassin

First Post
The UA for Sorcerer is out and i'd like to focus on the sea sorc:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf

Starting at first they gain Curse of the Sea:

Curse of the Sea: When you choose this origin at 1st level, you learn the secret of infusing your spells with a watery curse.

When you hit a creature with a cantrip’s attack or when a creature fails a saving throw against your cantrip, you can curse the target until the end of your next turn or until you curse a different creature with this feature.

Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends if the spell isn’t a cantrip (you choose the effect to use if more than one effect applies):

So to set the curse you hit/failsave with a cantrip, now target is cursed it last until your next turn or the curse ends after you cast a spell.

Using metamagic Twinned spell (casting 2 cantrips) or Quicken spell (cast cantrip and then spell) both gain the curse effect in the same turn. (if you hit with the first cantrip)

Though the curse only works with Cold, Lightning or Forced movement.

What cantrips/spells/combos are going to make the most out of this curse?

[h=4][/h]

pdegan2814

First Post
Are you talking about using Twinned Spell to curse two people at the same time? Because I'm fairly certain that doesn't work based on the wording.

Dasem

First Post
The correct answer for "How to optimize a Sea Sorc" is Archfey Warlock 2 / Sea Sorc 18, or Archfey 3 / Sea Sorc 17. The only reason to go a third level of Warlock is for Tomelock, so add Rituals to the Sorcerer. A wise idea, since it enhances the Sorcerer spells known list quite nicely.

So the plan of attack is as follows, and it comes online beginning at lv3.

Sea Sorc 1 because you want Con save proficiency.
Archfey 2 for Eldritch Blast, Agonizing Blast, and Repelling Blast.

Sea Sorc's ability to 'Curse' a target for further forced movement isn't restricted to Sorcerer cantrips.

Now Eldritch Blast knocks a target 25ft per blast.

Why Archfey? Interesting question. Archfey is the best option here because its Fey Presence ability is twofold; It can be used to charm or frighten. So its useful even in social interactions for the charm effect. And it's a nice "Get the heck away from me" button if you happen to be surrounded and need some breathing room. Especially since it takes an action, and then you can Quicken Eldritch Blast to knock anyone away that succeeded on their save against Fey Presence.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
ive chosen to play a triton sea sorc, and as i gain breathing underwater and swim speed on both class and race my DM has allowed me a home brew disguise self spell called "assume human features" and out of water I look human which allows our party to move through citys as normal.
Currently i have 2 levels sorc and i'm planning on going 3rd level sorc for quicken spell but im also thinking of taking distant spell to allow shocking grasp to hit at 30 feet. I will be taking the 3 levels warlock as you suggested as that seems super fun,

any recommendations on spell list?

pdegan2814

First Post
ive chosen to play a triton sea sorc, and as i gain breathing underwater and swim speed on both class and race my DM has allowed me a home brew disguise self spell called "assume human features" and out of water I look human which allows our party to move through citys as normal.
Currently i have 2 levels sorc and i'm planning on going 3rd level sorc for quicken spell but im also thinking of taking distant spell to allow shocking grasp to hit at 30 feet. I will be taking the 3 levels warlock as you suggested as that seems super fun,

any recommendations on spell list?

Well, one of the Sea Sorcerer's big features is to enhance spells that deal cold damage, lightning damage or cause forced movement. So, Cold & Lightning spells would certainly be wise to take. Shocking Grasp, Frostbite, Lightning Bolt, Snilloc's Snowball Storm, Ice Knife, etc. Also Chromatic Orb since you can choose the damage type. And if you're taking a few Warlock levels I would definitely take the Repelling Blast invocation for your Eldritch Blasts.

Remove ads