• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with power gaming

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Is DPR table useful when you're multiclassing?
Maybe not a bare-bones table, but the mechanics that are used to get the totals. Sneak Attack, Smite, bonus action Attack / Spells all add to what you can accomplish with one die roll / blow.
With 40 levels available, you should be able to add many neat tricks from many classes.

Is your DM going to allow you to stack all Extra Attacks from multiple classes (in contradiction of the base rules)? If not, you don't want ClassXYZ 5 over and over again.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Maybe not a bare-bones table, but the mechanics that are used to get the totals. Sneak Attack, Smite, bonus action Attack / Spells all add to what you can accomplish with one die roll / blow.
With 40 levels available, you should be able to add many neat tricks from many classes.

Is your DM going to allow you to stack all Extra Attacks from multiple classes (in contradiction of the base rules)? If not, you don't want ClassXYZ 5 over and over again.

They said the DM was going to allow this in the first post...

cooperjer

Explorer
The first thing that crosses my head is that stacking all the extra attacks leads to a very long turn for a player. Because of that I would lean toward only the extra attacks granted by the Fighter class if possible. As others have said, you're going to want to choose a path to power game in. The path that first came to mind was to look at a way to get to AC 32 or higher. I think this involves 2 levels of Bladesinger, the spells Shield and Shield of Faith or Haste, a shield, and plate armor. If you get magical armor or a shield all the better. After achieving that AC the next step is to manipulate the die rolls of the enemy with the Lucky feat because they most likely will only hit you on a 20. The third goal is to add a class that grants Evasion (7 levels of Rogue or Monk). Finally, if the DM thinks they'll have the enemy bypass you and attack your allies use the Oath of the Crown Paladin feature Champion Challenge to keep them within 30-ft of you. You'll want to fill out the rest of the build with HP gain. The barbarian has the max HP gain, but it may be best to use the fighter for HP gain and the Tough feat. This character build will be great vs dragons and similar creatures, but you better be encountering gods or similar. They're going to use tricks you never thought of and dragons never though of. At least 6 levels of Paladin help with saves. Finally, the character can still be restrained with a grapple attack. There are a few ways to address this. Use a high proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics to beat the ability check. The other is to use Misty Step. I should strongly suggest you have misty step, not only for the escape option, but to help with mobility.

The above might meet your requirements of 20 levels of fighter. How about this: 20 Purple Dragon Knight Fighter (SCAG) or Eldritch Knight Fighter, 6 levels of Oath of the Crown Paladin (SCAG), 7 levels of Way of the Shadow Monk, 5 levels of Bladesinging Wizard, 2 levels of Arcana Domain Cleric (SCAG).

The 5 levels of wizard is to give you access to Counterspell. Two levels of Arcana Domain Cleric let you turn celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend. It also gives you access to Shield of Faith. Way of the Shadow Monk was selected because of the ability to case the Darkness spell and the mobility with Shadow Step. Purple Dragon Knight is nice because it helps your allies, while Eldritch Knight helps increase your overall spell casting ability. If you wanted to keep away from the casting then I would recommend the Purple Dragon Knight.

CTurbo

Explorer
Half Orc Champion Fighter 20/Frenzy Barbarian 20 and be done. Crits would come often and be ridiculous. You'd easily have 24 Str and Con and 20 Dex. Can you take a stat over 20 with asi?

Archer Fighter 20/Assassin Rogue 20 would be great as would Archer Fighter 20/Hunter Ranger 20. I also like Archer Ranger 20/Assassin Rogue 20. As mentioned above, the Deep Stalker Ranger/Assassin Rogue would have the greatest 1st turn in the game and would probably 1 shot most things before they could even act and often from 300ft away with Sharpshooter. Really, any combination of Fighter 20, Ranger 20, and Rogue 20 would have great synergy whether you went ranged or melee.

Fighter 20/Paladin 20 would be awesome. Blow all your smites in one turn with action surges and one shot an Adult/Ancient dragon possibly.

Holier than thou Paladin 20/Cleric 20. You wouldn't get a lot of attacks but your attacks would hit VERY hard with all of the Divine Strikes/Smites as well as the huge pool of spell slots in which to Smite with. You'd also be tough as nails. A MAD build but you have so many extra asi chances here.

Barb 20/Monk 20 you could run around unarmed and FAST doing some serious damage with your bare hands. Also tough as nails.

Either way, I'd choose 2 classes and go to 20 with them.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Barb 20 is a good route to consider as has been said before with a very good capstone that not many achieve. If you want to reduce damage further, mix it with 9 rogue for uncanny dodge/evasion and danger sense/bear resistance and 11 fighter for extra attacks. Strength based rapier for all the sneak. Auto advantage with reckless attack and either good crit range or battle master maneuvers from the fighter. No Spells

What crazy combo are you currently thinking on?

Glitchezz

First Post
If you truly want to powergame and focus on damage output without using spells as a halfling:

20 levels of Fighter (Battlemaster) with the feats Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter. (You can use your hand crossbow in melee as easily as ranged, bonus action attack every round you don't do something else with your bonus action)

Then go with the 4 levels of Rogue (assassin), 6 levels of Monk (shadow), 5 levels of Ranger (hunter) and 5 levels of barbarian (bear totem - purely for damage reduction when you need it).

That gives you 7(+1 bonus action) attacks a round (14+1 on an action surge), you can bonus action shadowstep, rage when you need damage resistance, and either Dex+Con or Dex+Wis for AC. Plus super sneaky when you need to be.

A friend is playing something like that in the campaign i'm running and it seems pretty good and i also tested a level 7 Ranger Hunter with hand crossbows and Crossbow expert feat in a one-shot we did, i also tried level 7 Drunk master Monk in the next one-shot, plus i have a level 5 Rogue in the campaign another friend started running after mine, so i'm kinda familiar with their styles and i agree they seem to be good killers and i will definitely look into this multiclassing option.
But what would be better if we only talk about melee Fighters, STR with Great weapon master or DEX with Dual wielder? (thinking about utilizing other classes as best as possible with the multiclassing)

I think the most important question is this - what kind of role are you going to be playing? We can optimize the hell out of just about any concept, but its best to have an idea that you want to aim towards. Best at weapons / melee master? There's a couple of ways to max out being a support buffer. How about a super skill monkey - mixing bard and rogue is a rather interesting twist for not only being an Expert at so much, but the Lore bard can give you even higher skill checks on top of taking Guidance.

How about a Bladesinger 18 / Eldritch Knight 20 / Paladin 2? Its a pretty fun combination, if I do say so myself. This allows using smites on top of 4 attacks (more if you haste), really high AC and Concentration saves, and the ability to cast Shield and Mirror Image (or see invisibility, depending on needs) an infinite number of times a day. Eldritch Knight brings Action Surge teleports and inflicting disadvantage on saving throws, very good abilities. War Magic is a bit tricky at this high level (you usually are too busy smacking with a sword and you're using spell slots to smite with and absorb damage), so you might prefer going Battlemaster instead of Eldritch Knight. If you do so, though, you lose out on an extra 6th and 7th spell slot, and given that you should have Foresight up and a couple other abiltiies, I feel like most maneuvers are less useful. I know you didn't want paladin, but its low enough level that it doesn't do much other than boost sword damage and give another Fighting Style.

We can look into a master archer (valor bard, arcane archer, some ranger perhaps). This gives you access to Swift Quiver as well as Foresight again.

Revised Ranger Stalker, mixed with Assassin, is actually a pretty powerful first strike, first kill option. I'm quite the fan from a brief look at it. Poison, sneak attack, hiding options, first attack letting you hit first. No matter what angle you take, mixing Shadow Monk, Stalker Ranger and Rogue make you a very good hiding style character. That's pretty exceptional.

The Sorlock is still pretty powerful option even at very high levels. If memory serves, you can get the Mephisotopheles Invocation so your eldritch blast shoots a fireball as part of the same spell, then combine that with Quicken Spell. Three spells in the same turn. You can use the Warlock spell slots to regenerate your sorcery points, then short rest to refill. Hrm... maybe aim for Empowered Evocation at wizard 10 too, so that way you get Int + Cha extra damage to fireball spells?

Speaking of Wizard and Sorcerer... Diviner, Chaos, the Lucky Feat, and Lore bard. Lots of manipulating luck and people's dice pools? Hmm... I'll have to think more on this.

Paladin-warlock is a good option, but you're already doing that elsewhere.

For this character i want high AC and a lot of melee damage, "in your face" kinda guy. Sorcerer/Warlock sounds very interesting too, i was already looking into that for a future campaign maybe and mixing it with Wizard (haven't really checked what benefits would that add). Can a Warlock actually regain Sorcerer's points on short rest? And does Warlock even count for multiclassed spellslots?

Mephista

Adventurer
Sorcerer/Warlock sounds very interesting too, i was already looking into that for a future campaign maybe and mixing it with Wizard (haven't really checked what benefits would that add). Can a Warlock actually regain Sorcerer's points on short rest? And does Warlock even count for multiclassed spellslots?
Its been confirmed by the devs that warlock spell slots can be sacrificed for sorcerer points, yes. Warlock does not count for multiclass spell slots, which is why this combination works. The extra spell slots are on a completely different refresh than Sorcerer's spell slots, so you can sacrifice them repeatedly without sacrificing any daily spells.

The wizard benefit is mostly looking at the Evoker things. I'm thinking of a lot of large explosions, so the evoker class would let you not hit allies (sculpt spell) and add your Int to the damage from fireball. Kiss of Mephistopheles is redundant with Quicken Spell, though, so that combo is out.

Glitchezz

First Post
The first thing that crosses my head is that stacking all the extra attacks leads to a very long turn for a player. Because of that I would lean toward only the extra attacks granted by the Fighter class if possible. As others have said, you're going to want to choose a path to power game in. The path that first came to mind was to look at a way to get to AC 32 or higher. I think this involves 2 levels of Bladesinger, the spells Shield and Shield of Faith or Haste, a shield, and plate armor. If you get magical armor or a shield all the better. After achieving that AC the next step is to manipulate the die rolls of the enemy with the Lucky feat because they most likely will only hit you on a 20. The third goal is to add a class that grants Evasion (7 levels of Rogue or Monk). Finally, if the DM thinks they'll have the enemy bypass you and attack your allies use the Oath of the Crown Paladin feature Champion Challenge to keep them within 30-ft of you. You'll want to fill out the rest of the build with HP gain. The barbarian has the max HP gain, but it may be best to use the fighter for HP gain and the Tough feat. This character build will be great vs dragons and similar creatures, but you better be encountering gods or similar. They're going to use tricks you never thought of and dragons never though of. At least 6 levels of Paladin help with saves. Finally, the character can still be restrained with a grapple attack. There are a few ways to address this. Use a high proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics to beat the ability check. The other is to use Misty Step. I should strongly suggest you have misty step, not only for the escape option, but to help with mobility.

The above might meet your requirements of 20 levels of fighter. How about this: 20 Purple Dragon Knight Fighter (SCAG) or Eldritch Knight Fighter, 6 levels of Oath of the Crown Paladin (SCAG), 7 levels of Way of the Shadow Monk, 5 levels of Bladesinging Wizard, 2 levels of Arcana Domain Cleric (SCAG).

The 5 levels of wizard is to give you access to Counterspell. Two levels of Arcana Domain Cleric let you turn celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend. It also gives you access to Shield of Faith. Way of the Shadow Monk was selected because of the ability to case the Darkness spell and the mobility with Shadow Step. Purple Dragon Knight is nice because it helps your allies, while Eldritch Knight helps increase your overall spell casting ability. If you wanted to keep away from the casting then I would recommend the Purple Dragon Knight.

I'm not worried about "very long turn for a player" because we have multiple dice sets so i can just roll for all attacks at once (if the target is still at full hp). While your build looks very good and interesting it still has too much casting for my liking (for this particular campaign), but i will surely play something like this in the future.

Half Orc Champion Fighter 20/Frenzy Barbarian 20 and be done. Crits would come often and be ridiculous. You'd easily have 24 Str and Con and 20 Dex. Can you take a stat over 20 with asi?

Archer Fighter 20/Assassin Rogue 20 would be great as would Archer Fighter 20/Hunter Ranger 20. I also like Archer Ranger 20/Assassin Rogue 20. As mentioned above, the Deep Stalker Ranger/Assassin Rogue would have the greatest 1st turn in the game and would probably 1 shot most things before they could even act and often from 300ft away with Sharpshooter. Really, any combination of Fighter 20, Ranger 20, and Rogue 20 would have great synergy whether you went ranged or melee.

Fighter 20/Paladin 20 would be awesome. Blow all your smites in one turn with action surges and one shot an Adult/Ancient dragon possibly.

Holier than thou Paladin 20/Cleric 20. You wouldn't get a lot of attacks but your attacks would hit VERY hard with all of the Divine Strikes/Smites as well as the huge pool of spell slots in which to Smite with. You'd also be tough as nails. A MAD build but you have so many extra asi chances here.

Barb 20/Monk 20 you could run around unarmed and FAST doing some serious damage with your bare hands. Also tough as nails.

Either way, I'd choose 2 classes and go to 20 with them.

I don't think we'll be able to get above 20 with asi. So you're saying that i should go STR based for melee or DEX for ranged, seems no one really uses dual wielding for power gaming. Fighter/Ranger/Rogue combo seems nice and doesn't have spellcasting (as i want it for this character), but what about having 20 Fighter and 10/10 Rogue/Ranger? Would that really weaken the build? Or is 20/20 really the way to go?
I don't really want a character that spends everything in 1st round then be kinda useless, i'd like a great 1st round with pretty decent DPR after that. (Maybe like 1st round assassinate and get all the crits in but then i still have sneak attack and colossus slayer or similar things for the rounds after, on top of all the extra attacks)

Barb 20 is a good route to consider as has been said before with a very good capstone that not many achieve. If you want to reduce damage further, mix it with 9 rogue for uncanny dodge/evasion and danger sense/bear resistance and 11 fighter for extra attacks. Strength based rapier for all the sneak. Auto advantage with reckless attack and either good crit range or battle master maneuvers from the fighter. No Spells

What crazy combo are you currently thinking on?

This could work nicely too! Well at first i was thinking about DEX and CON based Fighter with dual wielding but it seems dual wielding has lower damage output than 2h weapons or crossbows. My initial plan was 20 Fighter Battlemaster then 5 Rogue Assassin/Ranger Hunter/ Barbarian Bear totem/ Monk (not sure which one but Drunk master would be nice).

Glitchezz

First Post
Its been confirmed by the devs that warlock spell slots can be sacrificed for sorcerer points, yes. Warlock does not count for multiclass spell slots, which is why this combination works. The extra spell slots are on a completely different refresh than Sorcerer's spell slots, so you can sacrifice them repeatedly without sacrificing any daily spells.

The wizard benefit is mostly looking at the Evoker things. I'm thinking of a lot of large explosions, so the evoker class would let you not hit allies (sculpt spell) and add your Int to the damage from fireball. Kiss of Mephistopheles is redundant with Quicken Spell, though, so that combo is out.

I already played Evoker Wizard level 6 i think and that Sculpt Spell really helps, never played Sorcerer though so i have to reread that again, but yes Quickened spell and Kiss of Mephistopheles can't be used together so that is out.
Me and a friend were talking about a nice combo as well, Warlock with 5 levels of Warrior and few levels of Sorcerer could cast many Eldritch blasts in one round and if you're right next to or below your enemy you can push them up A LOT to get some falling damage after all the spell damage that you do with the cantrip.

Remove ads