• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Romance

Sandain

Explorer
Hello Enworlders (especially the femail contingent)

Due to our careers, conferences, travel etc my fiancee and I have not had a chance to spend much quality time together lately, and this weekend she asked me to organise something romantic for just the two of us.

She requested it not be outside (Winter here) and not cost too much money - so that rules out a nice dinner at a top restaurant which is my 'default' romantic gesture.

I know its a test - and I know im going to fail!

Please help?

BigB

First Post
Romance

Start off sending her flowers at her work. Of course this is only good if she works. In my experience woman enjoy sharing and hearing the compliments from others about how great you must be to send her flowers. This is a start. For the rest of the evening she may want your attention - so anything where you can actively listen and talk to her and give her undivided attention.

Of course I am not a woman but this is what my wife enjoys and she really enjoys getting compliments about things I send her at work. Also surprising her with a last minute lunch date is good.

Sandain

Explorer
I think you have hit the nail on the head - what we do doesn't matter so much, as long as we talk and listen to each other and I give her loads of attention.

Yeah giving flowers is worth a few points, but giving flowers to her at work is =points*(# of compliments from jealous cow-orkers)

Balgus

First Post
flowers at work is definitely a nice touch.

If you can cook, a nice dinner at home is always romantic. If not, order out and set the table like you cooked.

Go to any store and buy 2 candle holders and two candlesticks (that shoudl cost like $5 total). Have a couple roses on the table and a bottle of chilled wine (i suggest Trader Joes for good, cheap wine- in small bottles so you can finish the whole bottle is you wanted, and they taste fruity so girls seem to like it.)

If you want to go all out, I suggest balloons on the ground. Blow up like 20 balloons and litter the ground with them. Once you are a lil tipsy, it is very fun stomping on them. Just remember that someone has to pick them up afterwards (the next day)

Rose petals on the bed, and dinner table is a nice touch. And never forget about the music. You can go with Barry White- but my fave is classical music in the background.

The most important thing is: TURN off your cell phone, unhook your phone, and do not under any circumstance do you turn on the TV for sports.

Good luck- and tel us how it goes.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Sandain said:
I know its a test - and I know im going to fail!

Well if you have that attitude, then you definately will fail. Have a little faith in yourself, bro.

So you are looking for something romantic and fun that dosen't involve the outdoors (so much for a picnic or moonlight walk on the beach) or cost a whole lot of money? Well, there are a few different ideas you could try:
  • A candlelit dinner for two at home.
  • Ice skating or roller skating.
  • Visit a museum or art gallery.
  • Indoor miniature golf.
  • Take her to the arcade and challenge her to an air hockey or skeeball tournament.
  • Take her on a scenic drive (this technically dosen't take place outdoors, but rather in the car. :) )
  • Take her to a toy store and tell her that she can have anything she wants that costs $20 or less. Women love things like this that are lighthearted, fun, and related to children.
  • Buy a disposable camera and take pictures of each other over the course of the day, then take it to place that has 1 hour photo development, and make an album of the photos you took.
  • If you live near a college or university, take advantage of their facilites. They often have things like guest lectures, art exhibits, and music recitals that are open free of charge.
  • Try a scavanger hunt date: When your date arrives, have her list 20 unusual items. Once the list is complete, the two of you can try to find as many of the items as possible.

The most important thing is to use your own creativity. You know your girlfriend better than I do, so try to do things that involve her interests.

One other thing: regardless of what you do, create an air of mystery. Women find a little mystery to be incredibly romantic. Keep her in the dark as long as possible. If she asks what you're doing, say something like "Trust me, you'll love it. And if you don't... too bad!" while giving her a cocky smirk. ;)

Thikket

Explorer
I really like being romantic, so allow me to chime in with an explicit (whoa! not like that! ;)) suggestion, building on some of the other posters' comments.

If you don't cook normally, you -must- do the candlelit dinner. There's a reason why it is a classic. And I'll make it easy for you; here's a freaking fantastic cheap, easy meal that will rock your socks off. Vegetarian-friendly. [Disclaimer: naturally this will hinge on your girl's (and your!) tastes.]

You go like this:
Fresh french bread. (Cheap!)
Bowtie pasta. (Cheap!)
One fresh tomato. (Kinda cheap!)
A bunch of fresh chives. (Not so cheap. You just need one of those little cartons, though.)
A stick or less of margarine. (Cheap!)
One small thingie of good, tomato basil feta cheese. (Not cheap!)

So, you boil the pasta, you put the bread in the oven to warm it up, you microwave the margarine and crumbled feta together for 2-3 minutes... Then you toss the feta sauce with chopped fresh tomatoes and chives (chop them small) and throw it over the bowtie pasta. Serve with the warm bread. So easy, so amazing.

I randomly created this meal for my girlfriend one night and it wowed her. I gave this recipe to all my male friends, and their girls were subsequently wowed. Now, please wow your girl as well. We have a name for this dish, amongst my friends... but I permit you to claim you just made it up. ^.~*

Tips:
1. You will have money leftover. Do the flowers-at-work gig.
2. Cut out early from work and make sure your dinner is ready the minute she gets home. This is not hard to do -- everything you have can be kept warm and prepped.
3. Listen to her. Let her do the talking. Pay attention to her clothes -- she is going to be decked out *just for you*, so compliment her for taking the time and consideration.
4. Get some dessert for afterwards. And some scented bubblebath junk for after that... Or during.
5. **Most important.** Repeat your romantic encounter 1d4+1 days after it occurs. This time, surprise her, mix it up a little, and make her melt all over again.

Yay romance! :D

Bront

The man with the probe
A hotel room can be a good getaway from the normal, everyday things and be quite romantic, particularly if you have a jacuzi.

A call at an unexpected time just to tell her you love her can be very romantic.

Some of the other ideas are nice too.

Arravis

First Post
Here are a few I've done for my wife on the cheap...

• On a rainy day we had a picnic at the art museum, I had arranged it ahead of time and they didn't mind.

• Bed and Breakfast inns can be affordable at the right times of year. Call around to all your local ones, but you may be able to find one that's not too expensive.

• Made her favorite dinner and arranged a few things before she got home. Once she got in, we ate, then I turned off all the lights and the glow-in-the-dark stars I had put all over the ceiling shone brightly. I hit play on the mix-cd I made for us and we ended up dancing the night away, just the two of us, underneath those stars.

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Well, its probably too late for this - its already the weekend in NZ, I think, but here is my suggestion:

Snowed in:

Pretend as if you are completely snowed in for the weekend. No phone (turn the ringers off), no reason to go out and run errands. If possible, get those weekly chores (shopping, laundry etc.) done beforehand. Have some "comfort food" for meals (don't know what would qualify in New Zealand, but for my wife things like Sheperds Pie work) along with tea or hot cocoa. In the evening, pretend the power goes out and you can only use candles for light and need to snuggle under blankets to keep warm (turn the heat down to make this feel real). Talk with each other a lot and if you want some quiet time, read together in bed.

werk

First Post
Lots of great suggestions. I would start by examining what does 'something romantic' mean?

Usually it means you two will need to be alone, or at least have your privacy.
Undivided attention, make sure she is the focus.
It's a good time to remember great times that you've had and talk about great times/things to come.
Reconnect.

I don't think romance is about buying flowers or buying food or buying whatever, it's about the time shared together in the proper environment. Those other things may make her happy, or more inclined to feel romatic, but I don't necessarily believe they are romantic in and of themselves...they are just gravy.

Getting flowers is nice, but getting flowers, delivered by you for a surprise lunch date is much better...and frankly, makes you look better...more involved. Anyone can call and pay someone to commit a romantic act for you, that takes less than a full minute most of the time, but a true romantic would want to do the act themself.

What does she like that she doesn't or can't get everyday? Is there anything that you shared previously that you could use? Just like adventuring, you need a hook. If you went to Hawaii for your honeymoon, make a mini-luau. Order in her favorite food that you don't like (you should be able to find something on the menu you can eat). It's about being focused on her, and giving of yourself.

I've had a lot of luck with theatre dates, but my wife is getting her doctorate in theatre, so that may not work as well for you. When I suggest that we see a play, instead of the hundreds of plays that she takes me to, it becomes special. Have a cocktail (or whatever you prefer), see a SHORT play, grab a light meal in a dark, quiet restraunt on the way home, and when you get home, her favorite treat is sitting on the table with a card and flower(s). ...something like that.

Last edited:

Remove ads