• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Wizard spellbooks and encounter spells?

megasycophant

First Post
First, a general complaint. Is it just me, or is the sequence of explanations in the PHB horrible? Concepts seem to be constantly referenced before they've been introduced. OK, enough ranting.

Forgive me if this has already been covered somewhere else. The PHB says that a wizard gets either two daily or utility spells at each level, but doesn't mention encounter spells? Do they put two encounter spells into their spellbooks at applicable levels as well? So a first level wizard would have three 1st level rituals, two at-will spells, two 1st level encounter spells, and two 1st level daily spells? Also, the wizard would choose one each of the encounter and daily spells to prepare at the beginning of the day / after an extended rest?

Cadfan

First Post
1. Its not just you. I mostly disagree, except for the idea of [W] which should have been introduced earlier. But you're not the only one to think it.

2. You don't get multiple encounter spells. Just multiple daily and utility.

Thanee

First Post
The Spellbook is only for DAILY spells (and Rituals, of course), as I see it.

All ENCOUNTER spells are learned normally (like all the other classes), but you get twice the number of DAILY (attack/utility) spells (whenever your level says you get any) and can choose to prepare either of those for each day, granting Wizards a bit of choice for their most powerful spells instead of having the same ones every day.

Bye
Thanee

katahn

First Post
The only thing with wizard spellbooks I find disappointing is that at certain points you don't just keep adding new spells but rather you replace an old spell with a new one. Basically the poor wizard is somehow compelled to rip out pages holding old spells to make room for new ones.

Now from game balance I can understand why they'd put it in like that, but outside of some deus ex machinae forcing me to do so, I'd be the wizard that goes out and buys a new blank book to write the new spells in and keep the old ones intact.

Bumamgar

First Post
I read it as: "Whenever the Wizard gains a new Daily or Utility power, he adds two Daily or Utility powers to his spell book at that level."

I did not read it as: "Whenever the Wizard gains a new Daily or Daily Utility power, he adds two Daily or Daily Utility powers to his spell book at that level."

In otherwords, I don't think it's restricted to only Utility powers that are daily actions. There is a difference between a "Daily Power" and a power that can be used as a "Daily Action".

Am I wrong?

tafkamhokie

First Post
My one gripe about the spellbook is that some utility spells are encounter powers and some are daily.

So at 2nd level, I pick Expeditious Retreat and Shield. If I choose to prepare Shield for the day, I can cast it every 5 minutes. If I choose ER, I only get one casting until I rest again.

Just seems a bit odd to me.

biotech66

Explorer
Sound like a good house rule?

Anyone else think that a wizard with the expanded spell book feat should get an extra encounter spells per level and prep them just like the daily ones?

Nikolai II

First Post
katahn said:
The only thing with wizard spellbooks I find disappointing is that at certain points you don't just keep adding new spells but rather you replace an old spell with a new one. Basically the poor wizard is somehow compelled to rip out pages holding old spells to make room for new ones.

Oh? Well, I sure won't be using that rule. Sure, other classes need to replace powers to get better ones, but wizards are flavored by their book and get to respec nightly. So why remove spells?

-

I don't think they should get extra encounter spells.. at least not without an extra "expanded spell book" feat. ;-)

Remove ads