Here's the Abyssal Sibriex From Mordenkainen's Tome

This....thing...is....AWESOME!

Somewhat related question: Is there any official text that says Legendary Creatures are intended to be used as solo encounters? Obviously they can be used that way, but does anything actually say Legendary Creatures = Solo?

CapnZapp

Legend
Somewhat related question: Is there any official text that says Legendary Creatures are intended to be used as solo encounters? Obviously they can be used that way, but does anything actually say Legendary Creatures = Solo?
I'm not claiming the 5E promises something they can't keep.

I'm claiming there's a trope they can't support.

Chaosmancer

Legend

To my knowledge there is not.

And, even if there were, it would be a bald-faced lie, because Unicorns and Ki-Rin are Legendary monsters, and I don't think anyone would pretend to claim these are supposed to be solo fights for the party.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not using "solo" as a synonym to "alone" or "one".

I'm referring to 4E terminology where Solo means a monster capable of fulfilling the common trope "a monster awesome enough to take on the entire party singlehandedly"

In my view, WotC pretends this is supported. It is not. Is ought to be.
Without the rigid mathematical predictability of 4E Class design and level progression, this isn't really possible. to deliver on consistently. Any random assortment of 4-6 5E characters not a given levle are going to have very different capabilities.

CapnZapp

Legend
Without the rigid mathematical predictability of 4E Class design and level progression, this isn't really possible. to deliver on consistently. Any random assortment of 4-6 5E characters not a given levle are going to have very different capabilities.
That is not a good reason for not even trying.

The current level of support lies comfortably within the range I confidently characterize as "not even trying".

Regards,
Zapp

Herosmith14

First Post
I will say, from my perspective, hit points are very low, and I thought Moloch and AD were fine.

That said, I am also still a pretty greenhorn DM who isn't too good st judging that, and I haven't experimented with the abilities yet.

That also said, I can always up the hit points. I will also say, that if I ever have a big bad mastermind that the PCs have to fight, I will try to play him like one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is not a good reason for not even trying.

The current level of support lies comfortably within the range I confidently characterize as "not even trying".

Regards,
Zapp
Well, they supply Legendary monsters and guidelines for adjusting them, not much more they need to do.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Drop an avalanche on the party as they travel through a mountain pass; frame the party as traitors and spies to the ruler of the kingdom; lead a band of mountain giants to the party; give them a shield guardian and Armor of Agthys cast at level 5; trick the party into resurrecting a deity-level monster (this is likely to happen in my current adventure) etc etc.

High Int physically weak is pretty much a default villain.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that combat in D&D is done in an arena.

"Ready......FIGHT!"

Remove ads

Remove ads