D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

I know I am ultimately getting annoyed at nothing. But the DnD community as a whole seems woefully under-informed about Anime. There is, truly, no single anime style. There are popular styles to be sure, but talking about "anime art" like it is a monolith is like talking about "video game art" in the same manner, as though there is no difference between 16-bit games, modern shooters, and Nintendo stylized games.
The Wizard in question has normal-sized eyes and a detailed nose, compared to some common generalizations about "anime art" I don't know where "anime art" comes from.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I seem to recall they at least had feet in 3e.
Not everyone can achieve that level of genius...but rhe genetic relationship is clear.
The Wizard in question has normal-sized eyes and a detailed nose, compared to some common generalizations about "anime art" I don't know where "anime art" comes from.
"This art looks anime" = "I don't like it" for some people.

Starting with 3e, you had more art but most of it was portrait-style or otherwise illustrative rather than mood-setting.
A lot of 3E's art was, and I feel like as someone who has done a lot of art, I should recall the proper term for this (!!!), "floaty" art, i.e. figures/creatures/beings/objects who are full-colour and full detail but just on a white or pale blank background, and it's like, there are times that works, but 3E pushed it far, far beyond the bounds of "what works" into being basically the dominant art style of 3E and becoming quite annoying, frankly.

5E does it much less, but I still does a sort of less-extreme form of it a lot, where there's a segment of background (sometimes faded-out) behind a figure or monster, and it's like, no, please, please stop that, do like, actual full pieces! Or use it really selectively and consistently - also it works a lot better with black and white pieces than colour ones.

I know some people like it and great for them, but, for me, just less of that, or only use it non-full-colour pieces at least. That's another thing I miss though - non-full-colour pieces. I love a bit of black-and-white or similar similar monotonal or near-monotonal art, some of the most effect RPG art I've seen is that (I loved some of the moody blue on white pieces in 2E, for example), but unfortunately it seems like WotC feel like that's maybe... beneath them? Or that their audience would see it as cheap. Meh. I'd much rather than a really cool B&W piece than a mid or only ok colour one, but I think many people would disagree.

All the stuff I've seen so far for 2024, with no exceptions, has been an actual, full piece at least.

Hussar

Legend
"Anime" is in the same category as a bunch of other "criticisms" of D&D that have reared up over the years. It's basically a shorthand way of saying, "I don't like this" while making some vague attempt to "prove" why the dislike is anything other than a personal taste thing. IOW, it's largely meaningless.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
"Anime" is in the same category as a bunch of other "criticisms" of D&D that have reared up over the years.
“Superheroic”, say, because…

It's basically a shorthand way of saying, "I don't like this" while making some vague attempt to "prove" why the dislike is anything other than a personal taste thing. IOW, it's largely meaningless.
…that, right.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Can we just drop the endless discussion of why this art just doesn't feel right as a wizard, for vague and poorly explained reasons? No, she doesn't look like Gandalf. That's okay.

We can't drop drive by dismissal of any and all criticism with literally nothing constructive added, so I don't have much faith in it happening. :) But I agree the art is certainly at least ok (understatement). And probably much closer to what most PCs would be than an octogenarian. (And without a touch of anime in sight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads