Here's The Wizard Spell List From Extra Life

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

Mephista

Adventurer
Thought the Battlerager was complete garbage in SCAG it did not capture the essence of a battle rager at all mechincally or in fluff
Hm? *pounces on* What's this, hm?

Joking aside, what IS the essence of a battle rager, then? Curious minds inquiring. I'm not familiar with the batlte rager - never really did a lot of dwarfing.

hejtmane

Explorer
Hm? *pounces on* What's this, hm?

Joking aside, what IS the essence of a battle rager, then? Curious minds inquiring. I'm not familiar with the batlte rager - never really did a lot of dwarfing.

Never played 2e so in my mind it is like in the Drizzt book (one of the few D&D books I read) and I loved the concept the armor was the weapon the entire weapon. Throwing themselves at the monster to knock it prone and would roll around on it with the spikes. So the armor should have been the weapon they should have had a flying leap (tiger pounce) or a charge to knock prone while applying damage the entire point is the armor is the weapon not oh you get a second attack with armor after you stab them with the sword. So even the main attack should have been using the armor be it punch kick forearm strike. Nothing about it screamed reckless abandon who needs weapon i got spiky armor feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

maceochaid

Explorer
I thought it was just fiend pact and could be a pact with any power from the lower planes whether they were demons, devils, or something else.

Okay, so the question was, should the "Summon Demons" be on the Warlock list.

4E: Warlocks have Infernal Pact, Pact with a Devil and Wizards have Summon Demon Spells, but Warlocks don't (and this made sense for that edition's fluff)
5E: Warlocks have Fiend Pact, which can be with a Devil, Demon, or Yugoloth. So Summon Demons would make sense on the Warlock list.

maceochaid

Explorer
One thing I just noticed is that these spells say "summon ____" rather than "conjure _____" any ideas what that is going to mean?

Also re: Warlocks, they have one conjure spell on their spell list, and one as an invocation. Are we hoping these new spells will be on the spell lists or as invocations? Limited by otherworldly patron or pact boon of the chain?

One thing I just noticed is that these spells say "summon ____" rather than "conjure _____" any ideas what that is going to mean?

Also re: Warlocks, they have one conjure spell on their spell list, and one as an invocation. Are we hoping these new spells will be on the spell lists or as invocations? Limited by otherworldly patron or pact boon of the chain?

That is a good point about the name of the spells. Several of the Old Black Magic UA's conjuring spells were involved negotiation, so that could be the gimmick here: you summon a demon and have a certain time to negotiate its services (which would be a good fit for the warlock). The big question is what happens if your negotiations fail--does the demon just go back like planar ally or was it free to run around wherever it wanted like the Old Black Magic?

Conjure fey isn't limited to feypact warlocks, so I would be surprised if the spells and/or invocations were limited (assuming the warlock gets them) by patron or pact implement.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Ahhh, here comes that glorious power creep. Gotta be honest, D&D held it off for quite a while, kudos to them. Bring on the supplement!

jgsugden

Legend
Ahhh, here comes that glorious power creep. Gotta be honest, D&D held it off for quite a while, kudos to them. Bring on the supplement!
What have you seen that seems to expand the power levels of the game? There have been plenty of supplementing the past that failed to provide anything that was more powerful than was already available. Providing additional options often results and some slight power creep in terms of flexibility, but I don't see anything in any of these previews that had said something directly more powerful than existing subclasses.

gyor

Legend
That is a good point about the name of the spells. Several of the Old Black Magic UA's conjuring spells were involved negotiation, so that could be the gimmick here: you summon a demon and have a certain time to negotiate its services (which would be a good fit for the warlock). The big question is what happens if your negotiations fail--does the demon just go back like planar ally or was it free to run around wherever it wanted like the Old Black Magic?

Conjure fey isn't limited to feypact warlocks, so I would be surprised if the spells and/or invocations were limited (assuming the warlock gets them) by patron or pact implement.

Actually I have a feeling Infernal Calling will be like that.

I'm also curious why Infernal Calling isn't called Summon Devil, could other none devil inhabitants of the hells like Succubi, Rakshasas, and weirder things be summoned as well?

Maybe even Yugoloths. I think Infernal Calling is the spell I'm most curious about.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads