• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Here's to hoping for an iOS character generator...

Texicles

First Post
...I would prefer to own my datasets/PC Profiles---rather than rent.

And I would prefer to have added functionality when connected to the web (access to purchase additional data, or archived info) rather than be required to access the web in order to have any use for an app.

This is what I want as well. And give it to me in such a manner that I can use it on my PC, my Macs, my iOS device and my Android devices, preferably all at the same time.

The internet thing is something that people kick back and forth, and while it's pretty ubiquitous for most gamers, as it is in my day-to-day, there are times and circumstances where I absolutely cannot access the internet. I'd like tools I purchase to be useable in those circumstances.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
There seems to be a bit of news about the possibility of a digital character generator. I PRAY that WoTC gets ahead of the curve and launches an iOS and/or Android character generator at the launch of 5e.
This would be ideal---particularly with a 'In-App Purchases' option that would allow for the purchase of additional rules/data sets.
Oh please, oh please, oh please!!!

I'll throw my hopes in behind this plan. I won't pay a subscription, but I will absolutely pay them per book.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't want a character builder app, I want a D&D app!

What's a D&D app? Well I'm glad you asked!
The D&D app is a free app that bring you the entire basic D&D rule set along with it's gorgeous hi-res art right to your mobile and desktop devices FOR FREE!

The App not only have the rules, but it also got a character builder option (with the ability to use house rules) and DM tools for adventure design, making it basically your one stop option for adventure design on the go!

But wait, where the money in that? thats simple, the app will allow you to purchase new books as an in-app purchase, want to get more character building options and spells? buy the PHB! Looking for some more monsters? The MM is one klick away! Want to Advance your game with tons of optional modules? Have no fear the DMG is your near.

Not only that, but 3pp will be able to sell their books as well (with a percentage going to WotC) from adventures to splat books.
And not only 3pp, using the in app adventure tools Joe Shmoe can sell his own stuff. From adventures to character portraits to rule modules and so on.

That what I would like to see offered on the digital front.

Warder

I don't want a character builder app, I want a D&D app!

What's a D&D app? Well I'm glad you asked!
The D&D app is a free app that bring you the entire basic D&D rule set along with it's gorgeous hi-res art right to your mobile and desktop devices FOR FREE!

The App not only have the rules, but it also got a character builder option (with the ability to use house rules) and DM tools for adventure design, making it basically your one stop option for adventure design on the go!

But wait, where the money in that? thats simple, the app will allow you to purchase new books as an in-app purchase, want to get more character building options and spells? buy the PHB! Looking for some more monsters? The MM is one klick away! Want to Advance your game with tons of optional modules? Have no fear the DMG is your near.

Not only that, but 3pp will be able to sell their books as well (with a percentage going to WotC) from adventures to splat books.
And not only 3pp, using the in app adventure tools Joe Shmoe can sell his own stuff. From adventures to character portraits to rule modules and so on.

That what I would like to see offered on the digital front.

Warder

While I might agree with a LOT of what you say---particularly on allowing 3pp and Joe Schmoe to create their own stuff and then offer it for sale with a percentage going to WotC---I really, really doubt any of that will happen.

WoTC will want to have even the entry level books bring in some $$$. It will also serve as a gauge for how much people are willing to pay for any further digital app/datasets. And in the past they have been very conservative (or even forbidding) about allowing others to create/sell stuff for their digital aides.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
While I might agree with a LOT of what you say---particularly on allowing 3pp and Joe Schmoe to create their own stuff and then offer it for sale with a percentage going to WotC---I really, really doubt any of that will happen.

WoTC will want to have even the entry level books bring in some $$$. It will also serve as a gauge for how much people are willing to pay for any further digital app/datasets. And in the past they have been very conservative (or even forbidding) about allowing others to create/sell stuff for their digital aides.

Well it seem like WotC are going to publish the basic game free on the site, so having it free in an app isn't that far fetched.

Warder

Hadn't heard they were going to do that--nice!

But I doubt it will make a difference in any iOS/Android type app---since that app will have been done by an outside developer who most likely will want to get paid for every download/purchase.

It would have been to WoTC's advantage to structure it that way too---rather than "Here's your cruddy app that no one will buy, now pay me." a better approach would be "Give me a cut of every purchase and I will make this app sweeeeet!!!"

Vicente

Explorer
Given that WotC seems to be using mostly .NET/C# (the old 4e apps, their website...), I wouldn't be too surprised if they used .NET/C# to release multiplatform apps (with the help of Xamarin and a MVVM framework like mvvmcross). That way they could cover Windows/Mac/Windows Store/Windows Phone/iOS/Android quite easily.

Given that WotC seems to be using mostly .NET/C# (the old 4e apps, their website...), I wouldn't be too surprised if they used .NET/C# to release multiplatform apps (with the help of Xamarin and a MVVM framework like mvvmcross). That way they could cover Windows/Mac/Windows Store/Windows Phone/iOS/Android quite easily.

I bow to your advanced code-knowledge wizardry---and have no idea what you are saying. (hence the bow to hide my "What the...." facial expression)

Vicente

Explorer
I bow to your advanced code-knowledge wizardry---and have no idea what you are saying. (hence the bow to hide my "What the...." facial expression)

Checking WoTC website for job offers, they tend to ask for .NET/C# knowledge. Their website is done in ASP.NET (another .NET/C# technology) and their character creator for 4e was a WPF/Silverlight app (again .NET/C# technology).

The "problem" of .NET/C# is that it's a Microsoft technology that runs on Windows only (Windows, Windows Store, Windows Phone), but there is a company called Xamarin (founded by Miguel de Icaza, who created the Mono project, a port of .NET/C# for Linux/Mac) that sells a product to run .NET/C# over Android/iOS.

In the last months, Microsoft and Xamarin have announced a very deep partnership which allows a developer to write programs on their Windows machine using Microsoft tools, and thanks to Xamarin that code will run on Windows, Android, Mac... Which is an incredibly productive thing :)

The only thing you have to code for each different platform is the UI: every platform has a different UI language and design guidelines, it's not the same the Metro style of Windows Phone apps than the UI style of iPhone or Android. But all the inside logic of the apps can be written just once and shared using Xamarin.

I have no idea if WotC will follow this route, but given that they seem to have the in-house technical knowledge for it I wouldn't be surprised if they end doing something like this (which would be great IMHO :)). They are also based in WA, like Microsoft, and there are a lot of Microsoft partners in the area which could be outsourced for this work if they needed/wanted.

I hope it's a little clearer!

Remove ads