• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes Must Rise! [Erekose13 Judging](Concluded)

Patlin

Explorer
Dalamar said:
Okay, this time it is going to make a difference if Prayer and/or Haste adds their bonus to grapple checks.

I'm inclined to say that they do not, as the grapple check in question is a strength check and I don't recall either spell helping with those. I'll certainly be happy to listen if you wish to present contrary reasoning.

Dalamar

Adventurer
OoC:It is rather hard to tell. It refers to them as grapple checks (as opposed to grapple attack rolls), but the relevant text with bolding by me reads:
SRD said:
Grapple Checks
Repeatedly in a grapple, you need to make opposed grapple checks against an opponent. A grapple check is like a melee attack roll. Your attack bonus on a grapple check is: Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + special size modifier
Special Size Modifier: The special size modifier for a grapple check is as follows: Colossal +16, Gargantuan +12, Huge +8, Large +4, Medium +0, Small –4, Tiny –8, Diminutive –12, Fine –16. Use this number in place of the normal size modifier you use when making an attack roll.
I'd be inclined to call them attacks, especially as they are listed as one option for Weapon Focus, but the fact that they are referred to as checks bothers me so I'm not certain.

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: There are a couple FAQ entries that say grapple is not an attack roll. For example: [sblock]When using Combat Expertise or Power Attack, does
the penalty you take also apply to opposed attack rolls
(such as when you are involved in a disarm or sunder
attempt)? What about on grapple checks?

Yes and no. Anything described as an attack roll (even an
opposed attack roll) can be affected by Combat Expertise or
Power Attack. A grapple check isn’t an attack roll, so you can’t
use Combat Expertise or Power Attack in conjunction with it.[/sblock]
However, since Prayer also affects skill checks and saving throws, I'd be tempted to say that the haste bonus doesn't affect the grapple check, but the prayer bonus (and penalty for the retriever) does affect the grapple check. My $0.02

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Sorry. Should have mentioned I would be out for a few days...Iggy's save: 7+6=13...maybe I should add a couple more, but I don't think I'll reach 18. Thus, Iggy is reduced to -3. This retriever thing is tough. I just looked on the SRD. It's not there. Where's it from?

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Retrievers are in the SRD. Look under 'Demon' even though it's a construct.

ooc2: I'm convinced haste won't work, and while I find Slag's position on Prayer tempting, I don't think a grapple check is a skill check or a saving throw either. I'm afraid Zack is once more scooped up into the retriever's mouth.

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: My position was that I'd be tempted to say prayer works. Since you find my position tempting, then you are tempted to be tempted to let it work? :)

IC: Planus's hair stands on end as he ducks away from the bolt of electricity. He sees Iggy fall through the after image of the lightning strike. Reaching out a hand to help Iggy to his feet, he cries out to Mongrel for healing.

OOC:
Drop Blindness to cast cure serious wounds (3d8+7=19) on Iggy.
Bookkeeping (with prayer, haste, divine favor) attack bonus: +15, damage: 1d8+6
0 (DC 13) 6/day: Detect Magic, Light, Guidance, Create Water x3
1 (DC 14) 5/day: Endure Elements (x3), Divine Favor, Shield of Faith
2 (DC 15) 4/day: Resist Energy (x2), Shatter, Silence
3 (DC 16) 3/day: Blindness, Prayer, Dispel Magic
4 (DC 17) 1/day: Divine Power
Domain:
1 (DC 14): Longstrider
2 (DC 15): Invisibility
3 (DC 16): Fly
4 (DC 17): Dimension Door

Manzanita

First Post
"Whoa..." Iggy gets up uncertainly after his shocking encounter with near-death. "Thanks Planus." he mutters. Knowing the next blow of this demonic spider would kill him, he shifts to defensive for the moment.

OOC: Cast mirror image, creating 3 +2=5 more Iggys. Selfish thing to do, perhaps, but this creature will kill Iggy fast if it attacks him again... By the way, Patlin, you say Iggy did 21 points damage with his last magic missile. I wish that could be true, but Iggy's level 8, so he does 4d4+4, which can't add to 21. I think IC was down when I made that magic missile post. I'll go ahead & roll again & you can use that instead, unless I'm missing something...18. Not bad at all...

Level 0 (4+1 div): detect magic(D), light(x2), message(x2)
Level 1 (4+2 int+1 div): mage armor, color spray, True Strike(D), protection from evil, magic missile(x3)x2
Level 2 (3+1 int+1 div): detect thoughts(D), invisibility(x2), levitate, mirror imageLevel 3 (3+1 int+1 div): Clairaudience/Clairvoyance(D), Haste(x3)(x2) Tongues
Level 4 (2+1 int+1 div): Arcane Eye, Mnemonic Enhancer(x2), Stoneskin

Add'n 3 Magic missiles from his mnemonic enhancer.

Patlin

Explorer
Status
Iggy (44-19=25 damage)
Planus (Divine Favor)
Opale (Stone! 18 damage)
Retriever (61 damage)
Charlarn (22 damage, Stoneskin 40/80)
Ducane (-4 hp)
Zack (51 damage)

All party members are under haste and prayer. Those within range of Charlarn also benefit from the Magic Circle.

Retriever's Fast Healing for Round 4 included

Remove ads