Heroes of Horror: Archivist

drothgery

First Post
I really like the class, so I'm tossing a proposal in here.

Also consider the

Draconic Archivist
- lets an Archivist use Dark Knowledge on Dragons and Constructs, based on knowledge (arcana)

and

Archivist of Nature
- lets an Archivist use Dark Knowledge on fey and giants, based on knowledge (nature)

feats proposed

and as a bit of flavor, I'd suggest that the Church of the Silver Flame maintains a small college of Archivists, with ties to the Argentum (see Five Nations).

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
You can find the archivist here in the Excerpt from Heroes of Horror on the Wizards site.

I say the class is perfect for the Eberron setting.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
drothgery said:
Archivist of Nature
- lets an Archivist use Dark Knowledge on fey and [something else; giants, maybe?], based on knowledge (nature)
Yes, it is giants.

As a random comment, I would also allow the archivist's lore mastery to take the place of the Skill Focus feat to qualify for the Loremaster PrC (though most will stick with Archivist all the way through). But, I'm not a judge. ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
I agree with everything stated in this thread. I will also place the following caveat: No Archivist exploits--we don't care if you found a PrC that casts divine spells and learns the spell as a level 1 spell on its own spell list. If it is a level 4 spell for the base divine classes, then darn it, it's a levrl 4 spell for your Archivist too!

drothgery

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I agree with everything stated in this thread. I will also place the following caveat: No Archivist exploits--we don't care if you found a PrC that casts divine spells and learns the spell as a level 1 spell on its own spell list. If it is a level 4 spell for the base divine classes, then darn it, it's a levrl 4 spell for your Archivist too!

And the "collaboratively created divine scroll of an arcane spell" trick doesn't work either (at least, not to get an arcane spell into an archivist's prayerbook).

I think we probably ought to word the "no exploits" rule that if a spell is a cleric spell (no matter who else gets it), then the lowest level it's available for the archivist is at the spell's level as a cleric spell. There are lots of spells that exist at different levels as a domain spell, druid spell, and cleric spell.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
drothgery said:
And the "collaboratively created divine scroll of an arcane spell" trick doesn't work either (at least, not to get an arcane spell into an archivist's prayerbook).

I think we probably ought to word the "no exploits" rule that if a spell is a cleric spell (no matter who else gets it), then the lowest level it's available for the archivist is at the spell's level as a cleric spell. There are lots of spells that exist at different levels as a domain spell, druid spell, and cleric spell.
Or paladin. Or <insert divine cater> here. Take the base cleric spell level, not anything else (so, if its Dru 3/Clr 4, its Arch 4. if its Pal 5/Clr 3, its Arch 3).

Rystil Arden

First Post
My rule of thumb is Cleric, Druid, Domain, Adept, Paladin, Ranger. They can learn all of the spells on all of these lists, but you have to use the class hierarchy above to determine the spell's level (left comes before right). If it is in a PrC but not in any of those, no dice. Also, I would not be averse to allowing somebody with 'Nature's Archivist' to use the Druid one first instead of the Cleric (so faster Flamestrike but slower cures).

And yeah, divine + arcane = no dice unless it is also on one of those divine lists (Wizard and Archivist making a Horrid Wilting scroll is A-OK because it is on a domain list, for instance, but Fireball is not okay)

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
My rule of thumb is Cleric, Druid, Domain, Adept, Paladin, Ranger. They can learn all of the spells on all of these lists, but you have to use the class hierarchy above to determine the spell's level (left comes before right). If it is in a PrC but not in any of those, no dice. Also, I would not be averse to allowing somebody with 'Nature's Archivist' to use the Druid one first instead of the Cleric (so faster Flamestrike but slower cures).

And yeah, divine + arcane = no dice unless it is also on one of those divine lists (Wizard and Archivist making a Horrid Wilting scroll is A-OK because it is on a domain list, for instance, but Fireball is not okay)

No exploits is fine with me ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:

I agree, needs to be a core class divine spell to be ok.

I'm a little less worried about the arcane to divine, simply because any spell we might actualy allow over should be adjusted appropriately for level. And some of the more obvious ones (fireball) are simply no.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Right--as I said, a team effort is fine as long as the spell they work on together is actually on a core Divine list somewhere, such as a Domain spell. Anyways, with that in mind, I vote YES

Remove ads