Heroics vs. Keen Edge

HoboGod

First Post
I've seen this discussion before, and it tends to come down to the vagueness of what a "bit" of weapon or armor is. To some people, you can get tens of thousands of such bits out of any weapon or suit of armor so utilized. Others have pointed out that the wizard at Ye Olde Magick Shoppe really could simply ask his friend Bob the Level 15 fighter to use 20 different weapons in combat against summoned creatures, and then make many, many bits for use for this spell...

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that a lenient DM would allow. However, I don't let my players control the actions of NPCs stronger than the players themselves. Only by my approval can a wizard get the material components for this spell in that manner. However, I don't allow non-core spells (even non-core spells published by WotC) without my permission anyway, so *shrugs*, I might be on the stricter side of DMs. (I sleep at night knowing I'm not a total Nazi, though, right?)

DumbPaladin

First Post
lol ... Nothing wrong with how you do things. I do think the Spell Compendium people could have saved us all a lot of discussion by assigning a value to the "bit of armor or weapon", so it's immune to Eschew Materials ... or simply ditched the component.

That being said, Heroics is a spell I've used for some real fun effect in our game, when it's awesome to be able to give a member of the party -- or very rarely, myself -- JUST the right feat for the situation at hand.

DumbPaladin

First Post
Heroics: 2nd Level Spell. Grants 1 fighter bonus feat for 10 minutes/level. For example, Improved Critical (weapon of choice).

Keen Edge: 3rd Level Spell. Makes one slashing weapon keen for 10 minutes/level.

Any reason why Keen Edge is better?

I should point out that there is a version of Keen Edge for bludgeoning weapons now too. Since it'll work on anyone's weapon, they are spells worth having once in a while -- perhaps via oil or scroll.

Forged Fury

First Post
I do think the Spell Compendium people could have saved us all a lot of discussion by assigning a value to the "bit of armor or weapon", so it's immune to Eschew Materials ... or simply ditched the component.
If it came up in one of my games, I think I'd house rule it to a Focus and provide it with a cost appropriate to a 3rd level character. I probably just wouldn't allow it to be available for sale anywhere. I think that would be a potentially fun mini-adventure for the party!

Remove ads