• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hethas' Gambit: Game of Death discussion [rnd 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasong

First Post
Links

Original Discussion Thread
Continuation 1
This is Continuation 2...

Link to the GAME
and the RULES
and the MAP

Point Totals

Round 01

clockworkjoe (3 pts)
(Marius, PC)
+2: Bad Odds 4:1 (Master, Blaster, Unth & Antony)
(Special)
+1: Sif, for surviving an astounding amount of damage in 1 round

DM with a vengence (-1 pts)
(Hagbard, PC)
-1: Diddling
(Emeldra, Companion)
-0: Diddling (1/3rd point, rounded down for now)
(Thoramus, Companion)
+0: Companion Kill-thiefs Companion (Xiao Hu, Cholestus did most of the kill)

Duder (-1 pts)
(Whole team, PC + 2 companions)
-1: Diddling (2/3rds unaccounted for)

JDragon (-1 pts)
(Izad, PC)

Number47 (4 pts)
(Xiao Fung, PC)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Polar Bear 4)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Mr Cuffles, turned to stone)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Mr Fluffles)
(Special)
+1: Wee Jas, for extraordinary efficiency of action & teamwork

reapersaurus (1 pts)
(Special)
+1: Nike, for a decisive, agressive early attack for 192 dmg

Sollir (-1 pts)
(Rillos, PC)

Round 02

clockworkjoe (3 pts)

cool hand luke (1 pts)
(Special)
+1: Nike & Sif, for Mortem doing a body check on a charging elephant

DM with a vengence (-1 pts)

Duder (-2 pts)
(Duder, PC)
(Omigawd, Companion)
-0: Diddling (1/3rd so far)
(Mang, Companion)
-0: Diddling (1/3rd so far)

JDragon (-2 pts)
(Izad, PC)

Jeremy (-1 pts)
(Tairnandon, PC)
(Usasmir, Companion)
-0: Diddling (1/3rd point so far)

Number47 (8 pts)
(Xiao Fung, PC)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Emeldra)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Thoramus)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Mr Gruffles)
+1: PC Kills Companion (Polar Bear 1)
+1: Bad odds 2:1 (Cholestus + Mrs Stampy)
(Xiao Lung, Companion)
+0: Companion Kills Companion (Polar Bear 5, 8)

reapersaurus (4 pts)
(Blaster, PC)
+3: PC Kills PC (Marius)
+2: Bad odds 3:1 (Mortem, Unth & Antony)

Sollir (-1 pts)

Last edited:

seasong

First Post
Regarding diddling: Actually, I think that giving diddling points only if no one in the party is laying smack is closer to my original intent. I will go with that.

So, for example, reapersaurus will not suffer a diddling penalty for Master not participating directly.

Now, let's revisit natural d20 rolls...

I did say that, and like I said, I'm reasonably indifferent to it myself - while I was writing up results, it seemed that it was more exciting without them. But if y'all prefer to see them, I'm willing to switch back.

This was the vote as of last round:

Show Rolls (reapersaurus)
Don't (Saepiroth, Jeremy, cool hand luke)
Abstain (Number47, seasong)

As of the moment, it's changed to:

Show Rolls (reapersaurus, duder)
Don't (Saepiroth, Jeremy, cool hand luke, JDragon, Number47)
Abstain (seasong)

If I get a majority (5 with the current abstains) wanting me to show rolls, I'm :cool: with that.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
seasong said:
... it seemed that it was more exciting without them.

That's the feel I got too. I like the strong RP feel of this GoD. This type of game can VERY easily turn into a so and so moves 10' rolls 18, does 14 damage to him and her to the point it looks like a math problem.

Don't slow me up with numbers. Tell me if something is a particularly telling blow, but keep it in game speak for me. :)

reapersaurus

Explorer
Jeremy said:
I like the strong RP feel of this GoD.
You're joking, right? :eek:

Unless I've been missing some, the bears and elephants have been doing almost all the roleplaying. ;)

All I've seen are rolls and effects (edit: actually, just my rolls).
That's just the way it's been so far, and I feel that the reason for that (partially) is that people ARE running scared, due to the lack of knowledge about the other opponents.

Notice we haven't had people guessing about what the effects have been caused by, where in other GoD's there was much discussion. (as a side note, there's been very little back-and-forth about the _gameplay_. I think that if there was, it would make things even more fun)
This might be attributed to;
a) when we don't know much, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to guess many things.
b) There comes a phenomenon where a combatant may feel "If I'm quiet, and dodge attention, than I won't be attacked."

Personally, I like when the combat is above-board, and there is more knowledge about the effects - I think it gives a greater appreciation for the work involved (leading to more fun), and most importantly it allows for more strategy.

Actually, could someone help me out with a question?
How does keeping everything hidden promote MORE strategic actions, instead of making it less strategic, since you know almost nothing about why your attacks failed, or your strategy didn't work?

P.S. I just thought I'd start out this new thread with some food to chew on, discussion-wise... ;)
This post is meant light-heartedly, though it doesn't read as such - please don't attack me, or feel defensive... I'm just talking about a Game I like.

edit: I read jeremy's words again, and I think I see what he's getting at : a RP 'feel' (not referring to the roleplaying aspects, just in the fact where you are abstracted somewhat from the dice rolls).
That's interesting. The last thing I want from a GoD is something that I can get from a normal game session. A GoD to me is something unique, where the whole point of the exercise is to compete with an intense 'numbers' approach. It's interesting how we all approach these Games differently.

Last edited:

Number47

First Post
New maps are up. I think everyone will like the new format. The cast page is being dropped, someone else can track that if they choose.

Rathan

First Post
Thought I'd drop in and say good luck to all for the next game of death! and a long time no see to #47..... nice to see you again man.. we all miss ya here at Fight Club! :D

Saepiroth

First Post
Ah... to answer Reaper's problem with finding the game thread...

There's this magical little resource built-in to vBulletin called the "User Control Panel". If you enable "use Email Notification" it will always contain a link to every active thread you are involved it.

It's worked by magic server gnomes! :cool:

I would actually like a "cohorts diddling costs points" thing... though, of course, I would, now wouldn't I? It would certainly reduce the cohort supply in another game...

I'm going to be out of town until tuesday. I'll go do my move for round three now, but please don't set the round 4 deadline before wednesday at the earliest. :(

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
I'm aware of the subscription ability, Saep, thanks.

You know what I just found out last week - you guys'll be SOOO stoked - there's that ability in the newest IE browser that even lets you Favorite a web site you want to be able to go back to!
I've heard it works thru some virtual-reality process that clones pixies for their dust.

Can you believe it? ;)

Let me rephrase the point, Seap, just for you :) :
The Fight Club is not as busy as General Discussion. This could be perceived as a benefit.

Of course, the downside is that now you might have to go in a Forum you normally don't go to (I'd agree with that...).

so does anybody have any feedback or opinions about the Game? How things are looking?
I think the ones to watch out for are the ones that haven't been heard from yet.... all those dudes hanging back and playing possom... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads