• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hewligan's Rise of the Runelords: The Skinsaw Murders

Rhun

First Post
Danth can only shake is head. "It was no jealous lover that savaged the bodies in the mill, nor the work of thugs. There is something else going on here...something much more grave than that."

hewligan

First Post
Ven Vinder

Hemlock closes the door of the cell, and walks slowly with you all towards the far end of the hall.

"Clearly I have to let him go. The guy is traumatised, and would appear to be completely innocent. I cannot just keep him captive on the grounds of discovering the bodies and alerting us. His clothing was clean, his body untouched, and his small apartment was, well, not spotless, but certainly contained no blood stained clothing or anything similar.

Now Ven, Ven Vinder, he is also due for release. Heck, his wife has corroborated his claim to have been home the whole time, and it is understandable that he flew into a rage - after all, we had just told him his daughter had been killed. My plan is to fine him for violent conduct, but otherwise to let him free. He needs to go home and grieve. Still, ask him what you will. As I have said before, I need help here, and if you can see something I have missed, then great!
"

Hemlock opens the door, looking into the room. A late middle-aged man, strong and with a well trimmed beard and the firm gut of one who enjoys fine food, sits slumped, his face in his hands. At the noise he sits upright, wiping what appears to be tears from his face. He looks demolished. The area around his eyes is red and swollen, but all else looks like the life has been drained from him.

What, Hemlock? What?"

Rhun

First Post
"Ven," says Danth, entering the cell, "I am Danth Brinfield. Father Danth to some. Let me begin by saying that I am sorry for your loss. My companions and I are investigating these crimes, and we have a few questions...we hope you can help us out, so that we can find who is responsbile for these foul murders."

Friadoc

Explorer
During the course of the interogations Kael stood silent watch with Mal at his side, the young varisian contemplative, but alert. However, up turning the man over to Hemlock's custody, as well as the Sheriff's statements about being unable to hold an innocent man, Kael is even more quiet, if that is possible with Mal subdued at his side, closely to his companion.

"We'll do our best, Sheriff," says Kael before the door to Ven Vinder is opened. "I want this fiend, or fiends found more than most."

frostrune

First Post
Jokad remains at the back of the group when they decide to talk to Ven. His methods of interrogation probably won't work well here so he will let Danth do it the right way. He does however remind Danth that the girl didn't go down without a fight. She landed a solid blow with the axe.

Jokad thinks this is imporrtant and encourages him (Danth) to work it into the conversation.

All shoanti fight, man and women. To fall in battle is an honorable death. In his barbarian brain he thinks this will bring some solace to the Father.

hewligan

First Post
"Father.." he repeats the word, as if testing it. "You are not a father. I was a father. WAS a father, before some butcher took her from me. Your gods have left me. And who did this to my angel? WHO DID THIS!!! SHOW ME AND I WILL TEAR THE NECK FROM THEM" He collapses sobbing, dry, hacking sobs, as if he has long expended the tears in his body.

OOC: Combat by the weekend. I promise!

Rhun

First Post
Danth frowns at Ven. "While I have no children of my blood, there are many that I call my children, Ven. I am father to all that have none of their own. And though I cannot bring your beloved daughter back, the least I can do is try to deliver justice to the foul perpetrator of this crime. Perhaps that would bring you a measure of peace."

With a glance at Jokad, the cleric continues. "I don't know that it is any solace to you, but your daughter put up a valiant fight; We know she struck the murdered a blow with a woodaxe. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough." Danth offers a sad smile to the girl's father. "Do you know of anyone that might wish her harm?"

hewligan

First Post
Ven collects himself. "I am sorry father. My girl meant the world to me. I want the bastard caught. I am glad she got him. She had spirit. I don't know why she was with that scum. HE WAS SCUM. A good job, and a hard worker, but a crook and playboy. Gullible, I guess. She saw the good in people too easily.

I don't know what to say. I want to go home. I want to bury my head in a pillow and never see the light of another day. She didn't have enemies. She was only 18. She had friends, and suitors, and that was it. Me, well, I have some enemies. I am a successful merchant. I work honestly. That, believe it or not, creates you more enemies than you could imagine. But none that would kill my daughter.
"

He goes silent for a moment.

"If you ... WHEN you find him, make him hurt. Make him hurt REAL BAD!"

Remove ads