• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hexes or Squares?

slaughterj

Explorer
For those who use gaming maps when playing, what do you use, hexes or squares?

For d20 players, do you use hexes or squares? (E.g., does anyone who plays 3.5 D&D use hex maps instead of squares?)

MerakSpielman

First Post
Hexes are nice because they allow for more precise movement, eliminating the weirdness of the "diagonal move" in a grid.

Hexes suck because it's difficult to draw square rooms or buildings. There's constant questions (is this partial hex big enough for my character to stand on, etc). There's fewer spaces around each hex, which means fewer people can attack a one-hex creature at a time, fewer chances to flank, etc...

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
When I make the maps I use hexes for the large campaign and area maps, and squares for local areas and battles. I think it came to be that way when I first used Ogre/Gev maps together with Car Wars maps.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
When dealing with any combat, I use a square grid map.

When I deal with overland travel, I prefer hexes.

Cheers!

KB9JMQ

First Post
I use squares for everything but overland travel.
But on most occasions we don't map out overland travel so I don't use the hexes much :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads