D&D 5E Hexing Swashbuckler Idea

Adelmo Bonfanti

First Post
Hi there guys, i've been looking through some post already on this but they are outdated (as per not including Volo's or XGtE and such). Here's what I got: Need to make a character to an on going campaign level 4 but scaling up to 14~15 No UA allowed. I had the Idea to make a Swashbuckling Bladelock more focused on the Lock side (since it provides better features than Hexblade imo) Stats pre racials are Dex 15 Con 15 Int or Wis 10 Cha 14 (27 pb) And I'm thinking on going for HElf. On this, I am restricted to PHB HElves since we need the skill prof set, thus, i'm starting it out as Rogue. Flavour purposes i'm going Haunted One. What I'm not certain about is: Should I forgo the ASI to bring Dex to 18 at lv4 and start Hexing at said lvl or should I wait for my ASI then go full Lock-booming blade-. As per Invos, @ Lock 2 i'm thinking on Improved Pact Weapon for sure but deciding if armor of shadows or Devil's Sight (since I already have regular DV from HElf). I'm gonna go Archfey but that can change based on preference -greater invi is too good to miss, then again so is Cha Mod+locklevel temp hp provided that I last hit. Our party has a Devotion Paladin (Board and Sword). Ranged Battle Master, Knowledge Bard, Evoc Wiz and Moon Druid. Bard is considering getting another kind of "support/healer" Character since he made it bard cause of the lack of rogue/ish characters.

Hexblade is a patron and Bladelock a pact, so you can have both. Improved Pact Weapon requires Bladelock so you can't take it until warlock level 3. Devil's Sight is generally used in conjunction with Darkness which is nice for you but annoying for the rest of the party. If you're planning on eventually taking more rogue levels, it's probably good to take the ASI earlier rather than later, and the extra sneak attack damage and uncanny dodge at level 5 are worth considering.

Remove ads