High Law and Low Justice, Part 4

Seonaid

Explorer
Ktarle rifles through her belongings quickly, noting the absence of the vial of blood. She hesitates before saying anything, though, and waits until the crew members leave before turning to the others. "I am missing something from my things. Do you think it wise to ask for it?"

OOC: I still haven't had a chance to read all the sblocked stuff . . . I'd like to try to figure out what's going on, so don't say just yet. ;) I need to go back and read everything again before I can even think about forming some sort of coherent thoughts.

Wilphe

Adventurer
Maerdwyn said:
ooc: just to be clear, the captian's tone at that point made you pretty sure he was talking about the "Justice" as in the "Ministry of Justice" not "justice" as in "right and wrong"
OOC: She wasn't there for that, she only knows what Ruzz'koff said about it...

Maerdwyn

First Post
[ooc: this is the last post of this thread - please continue in the new thread, here.]

After the lawyers get involved, things seem to settle into a pattern, which if not exactly normal, is at least predictable. Everyone (Save for Zaedhrarrg, who is gravely ill and is granted passage back to his homeworld, and Quinn, who has not been heard from since his onto the Navy ship) is transferred to extremely comfortable accomodations planetside (To a medium sized city on an island a few thousand miles from Dukh’s capital) while negotiations between the lawyers and the MoIJ (Ministry of Imperial Justice) go on. Your lawyers (except for Trelene’s who is mostly concerned with keeping her from being charged at this point), are confident that a sizeable financial settlement will be reached with both the government and Malikot Enterprises, (the owner of Dvonn). They also feel that your testimony will likely be sufficient to convict Walid Nells-Corzin and those who fired upon you under his orders in court, but that testifying openly would endanger your lives. Uniformly, therefore, they recommend entering witness protection.

While the recording of the events that started all your troubles occupies the media’s attention for a couple of days, there is little new information on the incident published after that first day, and it is pushed to the side by all but the TAS-operated IBC-1 after that (HiranuCorp Broadcasting largely buried it after a syrupy, half-hour video tribute to Cpt. Julia Darius, who died while “upholding the highest ideals of HiranuCorp”.)

What has really occupied the populace are the continued talks between the Emperor and the Archduke and the concurrent embargo of the planet. The Archduke gives daily press conferences from the palace balcony, reporting on his efforts to safeguard the rights of Gateway’s people. His most commonly used theme is some variation on the following:

“The Imperium started this war in the Solomani Rim for reason’s of its own – let them fight it with troops of their own! Those illegally conscripted by the Emperor’s officials will remain under the protection of the House of Nells, and will not leave Dukh except under their own free and unfettered will!”

The embargo that has accompanied the Emperor’s visit to Dukh continues, though most independent businesspeople have, by this time, been allowed to depart after inspection by the Navy. There are still thousands of ships owned by Gateway’s megacorporations in orbit around the planet waiting to be released. Media, business, and the nobility (and in most cases on Dukh, these three are, in effect, the same set of individuals) are becoming increasingly hostile in their rhetoric against the Emperor’s heavy hand in the affairs of the Domain.

You are in the midst of discussing such things, as well as your future plans, this morning. Some of you, such as Saanath, just want to return home for a while. For those who do not the government has offered, through your lawyers, a number of options for your future besides any of those you as individuals can dream up. First, there is quite a large bounty on Nells Corzine and the unknown mercenaries who attacked the Dvonn at Tamandere, for those who prefer a direct course of action. There is a similarly high reward for the discovery of either an effective way to combat the organism you encountered on the Dvonn or the place and people who produced it. Lastly (from the Imperial's perspective, at least) there is an important diplomatic and administrative mission of a somewhat discrete nature in frontier space which apparently relates somehow to what is happening here on Dukh right now (details on this are hard to get form the Imperial lawyers unless serious interest is expressed.) Finally, your settlements from Malikot and the government should be arriving, which, according to your lawyers, should leave you with enough means to decide for yourselves on a whatever course of action you wish, Imperially sanctioned or no.

As all of this is discussed, a young luriani woman in a navy uniform is ushered into the common room of the house you are all using, carrying a briefcase. She briefly introduces herself, and then opens her case, calling each person's name in turn, presenting an envelope and a small wood box.

"Ms. Scrautigue?"
[sblock]20:11:227:991

Ms. Trelene Scrautigue:

I wish to personally thank you for your efforts aboard the ships Keruuchan and Dvonn some four weeks ago. There have been few of your station who lately have been willing to display that level of courage and moral character in the face of corruption of the powerful. I deeply regret the tone taken with you by members of my intelligence services, and hope that you will understand their motives were rooted in the desire to protect the Imperium and Her citizens. Regardless, you should know that there will be no charges brought against you, as I am certain that none could be justified. It is my regret that politics have caused the Moot members aboard my ship to deny you a medal of the rank you deserve, but I hope you will accept my personal commendation in its stead. I further hope that in the future you will avail yourself of many of the (no doubt countless) opportunities to serve the domain in the troubled days before it. If Gateway is to emerge from the coming troubles stronger than I found it upon my arrival, it will require the efforts of good men and women of conscience and ability, such as yourself.

I Remain,
Emperor Gavin Tumatova

Inside your box, you find:
attachment.php

[/sblock]

"Ensign Makea?"
[Sblock]
A Resolution recognizing the bravery and exemplary conduct of Ensign Tomas Makea (retired) aboard the Passenger Liner Keruuchan and the Yacht Dvonn:

Whereas Esn. Makea placed the safety of citizen unknown to him above his own,

Whereas Esn. Makea willingly answered the call of a Ship-In-Distress when those whose duty it was to answer the call failed to do so,

Whereas the danger involved was greater than could reasonably have been expected,

Whereas in the course of the rescue of the Yacht Dvonn, Esn Makea was instrumental in the field repair of a damaged jump drive which ultimately allowed the ship to escape its enemies,

Whereas the action of Esn Makea were instrumental in the rescue of 33 souls,

It is Therefore Resolved that Ensign Makea shall promoted to the honorary rank of Lieutenant of the Imperial Navy and awarded the Medal for Meritorious Conduct Under Fire on this Two Hundred and Eleventh Day of the year 991 of the Third Imperium.

Signed,
Adm Feron Kvarisch
Office of the Navy

Inside the box, you find your Lieutenant chevron, as well as:
attachment.php
[/sblock]

"Lt. Ruzz'koff?"[sblock]
A Resolution recognizing the bravery and exemplary conduct of Lieutenant Ruzz’koff of Qarrz aboard the Passenger Liner Keruuchan and the Yacht Dvonn:

Whereas Lt. Ruzz’koff placed the safety of citizen unknown to him above his own,

Whereas Lt. Ruzz’koff willingly answered the call of a Ship-In-Distress when those whose duty it was to answer the call failed to do so,

Whereas the danger involved was greater than could reasonably have been expected,

Whereas in the course of the rescue of the Yacht Dvonn, Lt. Ruzz’koff assumed command of the vessel when the leader of the mission perished under hostile fire and was effective in his leadership,

Whereas the action of Lt. Ruzz’Koff were instrumental in the rescue of 33 souls,

It is Therefore Resolved that Lt. Ruzz’koff shall promoted to the honorary rank of Captain of the Imperial Navy and awarded the Medal for Meritorious Conduct Under Fire on this Two Hundred and Eleventh Day of the year 991 of the Third Imperium.

Signed,
Adm Feron Kvarisch
Office of the Navy

Inside your box you find your captain's chevron, as well as:
attachment.php

[/sblock]

"Mr. Saanath?"
[sblock]
Saanath of Kansas

It is my great pleasure to thank you for the exceptional service you rendered during the rescue of the Malikot Yacht, Dvonn from the fate designed for it by enemies of the state. You had a hand in saving thirty three people who would have surely perished without your aid, and you have lived up to the highest ideals of the Travellers of old. The Imperium is richer for your presence. I am told that you have requested passage to your homeworld in the Sauma Forain system, and am pleased to include with this letter a voucher for high passage ticket on the carrier of your choice, with the compliments of the Emperor. You have also been granted the Distinguished Service to the Imperium medal, one of the highest commendations a civilian of the Imperium can receive, as well as a membership in the Traveller’s Aid Society, should Kansas ever start to feel a little too small.

Yours,
Kellen Dolenz
Chief of Staff
Office of the Emperor
Dawn Treader

attachment.php
[/sblock]

"Dr. Tehlayew Olui?"
[sblock]
Dr. Ktarlewaweikye Os Tehlayew Olui of Hyro:

I am truly humbled by your efforts on behalf of the passengers and crew of the Yacht Dvonn, as well as those those accompanied you from the Liner Keruuchan. I am told that it is through your field surgery that a naval officer and a scout were saved, and your research that a strategy to combat the infestation aboard the Dvonn was developed. It is my hope that that research can now be built upon to devise even more direct methods to combat the organism. Let me share some of our findings since beginning to study it.

The organism is a micro-virus, which we have tentatively named Dvonnimicrovaridae (or DMV for short). Its reproductive information is stored on a molecule that serves the same purpose as DNA but is less than a hundredth of the size and based on oxygen and carbon atoms. It reproduces by feeding on oxygen, which it instantly uses to reproduce. When ogygen runs out, the process of reproduction ceases, and the microvirus instead builds a shell of carbonic acid around itself and lies dormant, we assume, indefinitely. If exposed to more oxygen or regular water, the shells quickly dissolve, though reproduction only occurs in a gaseous environment – under water or in the bloodstream, the virus seems to be dormant and is benign.

From ISS reports, you were in possession of a sample of blood that contained DMV cells even though it had been taken from a person on Daramm, rather than the Dvonn. I would be most interested in the results of any studies you perform on this blood so that we can learn more about DMV’s origin before the microvirus is released on another ship, or, God forbid, a planet.

Regardless, I congratulate you on your efforts and hope you will be active in the domain in the coming days. I have bee given the honor of informing you that you granted the medal for Distinguised Service to the Empire by the Imperial Moot-at-Large, as well as a membership the Traveller’s Aid Society. You are indeed an asset the Imperium

Captain Marik Aeruli
Master Chief Medical Officer
Dawn Treader

attachment.php
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads