• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High level expansions of expertise dice?

B.T.

First Post
What are you thinking? I'm assuming we'll see some kind of multi-targeting (spend an expertise die and you can apply your attack roll to a second creature), but what else does the fighter need?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
In the PA podcast they mentioned the level 7 and 9 Slayer ones: Riposte costs 2 (or was it 3?) dice, and lets you make an immediate attack against an enemy who misses you in melee; and Whirlwind attacks multiple enemies, although they weren't clear on the specific mechanics of that. They also mentioned Riposte as a swashbuckler power in that L&L article way back, so I'm assuming that like Jab it's cross-listed with Duelist.

Aside from both sounding cool, this tells us that there WILL be higher-level powers that require multiple dice, which opens up the possibilities a lot.

I would expect to see:
More riders & status effects: Disarm, Stun, etc.
More movement enhancements
Accuracy buffs? (Bounded accuracy makes this tougher)
More protective stuff: e.g. Cover (+x to adjacent ally's AC when they take a hit)

I would not expect to see:
Overtly impossible/magical effects (flying, super jumps, teleportation, etc)
Non-combat bonuses (too powerful since they're at-will)

the Jester

Legend
I would not expect to see:
Overtly impossible/magical effects (flying, super jumps, teleportation, etc)

These might be a perfect fit for 5e prestige classes; that way people who like their fighters to be wuxia style would have a place to go to get what they want (assuming the dm allows that sort of prestige class).

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
These might be a perfect fit for 5e prestige classes; that way people who like their fighters to be wuxia style would have a place to go to get what they want (assuming the dm allows that sort of prestige class).

That would indeed be cool, though they might choose to incorporate the wuxia
Mystic Swordsman type into the monk class (I can hope!)

But as always, multiple options would be sweet!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
They mentioned many months ago that higher level fighters would have multiple attacks, and could use maneuvers in place of these attacks, allowing for awesome combos.

Now with expertise dice, I don't know if the multiple attacks will be part of that system or not. Hopefully not, since the awesome combo idea still sounds really cool, and it wouldn't work too great if they shared the same resource.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads