D&D 5E High-level wizard taking about an hour to change one spell?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
So, I was reading the PHB's wizard class thinking about what I would like to adjust, but then I re-read a paragraph I admittedly barely read over the first time.

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

I'm sure many of you read this as "1 minute per spell level for each new spell on your list." But that isn't what it says. It seems to me that its saying for every spell on your list, period. Meaning you'll re-memorize the spells you already know. I'm sure this is unintuitive which is why the wording flew under the radar. I'm just trying to see RAW, and maybe try to understand if it might possibly be their RAI?

Also, the fact that this occurs after you've already finished a long rest means that they add on the extra hour (I assume an average spell level of 3 for a level 20 wizard) to prep time.

This actually isn't game-breaking and can easily be handwaved, though I thought it was interesting.

Something that also interested me: the wizard can add two extra spells on level-up into their spellbook, but they never say they actually prepare the spells on the spot. So unlike other characters that may instantly learn a new spell or feature upon level up, the wizard has to specifically wait until a long rest in which they can prepare their new spells afterwards. Depending on how you level up, that could affect the wizard experience quite a bit.

Stormonu

Legend
Not something that bothers me. Compared to 1E, 5E wizards have it unbelievably easy:

Magical spells, those of the magic-user and illusionist, are not bestowed by any supernatural force. Rather, the magic-user (or illusionist) must memorize each spell, verbal and somatic components, and supply himself or herself with any required materials as well. Such memorization requires the character to consult his or her spell books in order to impress the potent, mystical spell formulae upon the mind. Additional items for the material component must then be acquired, if necessary.

Spells of any sort must therefore be selected prior to setting out on an adventure, for memorization requires considerable time. (Your Dungeon Master will inform you fully as to what state of refreshment the mind of a spell caster must be in, as well as the time required to memorize a given spell.) As a rule of thumb, allow 15 minutes of game time for memorization of one spell level, i.e. a 1st level spell or half of a 2nd level spell. Such activity requires a mind rested by a good sleep and nourished by the body.

Once cast, a spell is totally forgotten. Gone. The mystical symbols impressed upon the brain carry power, and speaking the spell discharges this power, draining all memory of the spell used. This does not preclude multiple memorization of the same spell, but it does preclude multiple use of a single spell memorized but once. When a spell caster shoots his or her spell-bolt, so to speak, it is gone.

A couple of takeaways

1) Wizards had to spend 15 minutes per spell level to rememorize cast spells.
2) In 1E, you had to pre-fill your memorized slots. Want to cast magic missile twice? You have to select and memorize two copies in your 1st level slots before beginning you day. There was no "prepare" list, only your spellbook and slots. 5E actually threw me for a good bit until I wrapped my head around the idea of spells known vs. spells prepared vs. spell slots.

In 1E, a 20th level magic-user had slots of 1st - 5, 2nd - 5, 3rd - 5, 4th - 5, 5th - 5, 6th - 4, 7th - 3, 8th - 3, 9th - 2. If they wanted to rememorize their list, that's 2,430 minutes or 40 1/2 hours!

Now, luckily, they only had to rememorize any slots that they had expended, but that could still be a significant chunk of time - one 9th level spell takes 135 minutes, or a little over 2 hours.

Last edited:

Milieu

Explorer
1) Wizards had to spend 15 minutes per spell level to rememorize cast spells.
2) In 1E, you had to pre-fill your memorized slots. Want to cast magic missile twice? You have to select and memorize two copies in your 1st level slots before beginning you day. There was no "prepare" list, only your spellbook and slots. 5E actually threw me for a good bit until I wrapped my head around the idea of spells known vs. spells prepared vs. spell slots.

In 1E, a 20th level magic-user had slots of 1st - 5, 2nd - 5, 3rd - 5, 4th - 5, 5th - 5, 6th - 4, 7th - 3, 8th - 3, 9th - 2. If they wanted to rememorize their list, that's 2,430 minutes or 40 1/2 hours!

Now, luckily, they only had to rememorize any slots that they had expended, but that could still be a significant chunk of time - one 9th level spell takes 135 minutes, or a little over 2 hours.
2E worked the same way, but they shortened it to 10 minutes per spell level, so a 20th level wizard took only about 27 hours to memorize their full complement of spells.

3E changed it to a flat 1 hour, regardless of number of spells or spell levels:
a wizard may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook. While studying, the wizard decides which spells to prepare.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
2E worked the same way, but they shortened it to 10 minutes per spell level, so a 20th level wizard took only about 27 hours to memorize their full complement of spells.

3E changed it to a flat 1 hour, regardless of number of spells or spell levels:
Basic DnD (BECMI) that ran at the same time as 2e also took just 1 hour. Don't know if that goes all the way back to BX though.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Looking over my level 18 Wizard, he has these prepared per level:
  • 1st: 3
  • 2nd: 3
  • 3rd: 6
  • 4th: 3
  • 5th: 2
  • 6th: 1
  • 7th: 2
  • 8th: 1
  • 9th: 2
1*3+2*3+3*6+4*3+5*2+6*1+7*2+8*1+9*2 = 95 minutes to prepare all that. Roughly an hour and a half extra each day if he's always swapping spells.

Remove ads