• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hireling costs in compendium?

S'mon

Legend
Going back to prior editions, I suggest 1 sp as baseline subsistence labourer's wage; 3 gp/month. Hazard pay might be 10 times or that, so 1-3 gp/day for the torchbearer going down the dungeon with you. Skilled NPCs such as armourers and sages may earn up around 100gp/month.

Re mercenaries:
I think NPCs who know they're minions won't willingly go dungeon crawling at any price, since it's certain death, but will serve as garrison troops and fight the occasional mass battle. I suggest 2 sp/day or 6 gp/month for a typical infantry soldier, IMCs he'd probably be a 5th to 8th level minion. Again hazard pay would be 10-30 times the normal rate.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Dude.

The problem here is that a 1st-level linkboy shouldn't get paid 450 gp per month. Heck, he shouldn't get paid 100 gp per month! Pricing him via comparison to a treasure parcel doesn't help the fundamental issue of absolutely destroying even the slightest bit of sense about the D&D economy.

Dude. ;) I was just showing some of the logic. This is how I use it:

o Hirelings expect a weekly payment of one-tenth of a RMTP of their level (and double that per day for danger pay); this can be negotiated

(Though I never actually use danger pay.)

That's for standard monsters who can fight, e.g. for Human Bandits that works out to about 17.5 GP per week.

Hiring other guys is a little more complicated. What I did was assign different labours or professions a Level. "Lackies, Limners, Porters, or Linkboys" are all 1st-Level labours/professions, and they come in groups of 10. A 1st-Level RMTP averages out to 120 GP, I think; so 12 GP per month for a single Linkboy, or around 4 SP per day.

A "common meal" per the PHB is 2 SP, so anything less than that and it's going to be hard to survive.

Now here's something I haven't considered. When running a ship would you pay the crew individually, or just hand-wave it and assign it a higher Level? Looking at the prices for Vehicles in the AV, I'll bet they work out to Treasure Parcel amounts for magic items... yep. A Greatship (with a crew of 20) has the same cost as a 12th-level magic item, or 13k. If we went with 1/10th of that for a week, that'd be 1,300 GP. A 12th-Level RMTP averages out to 7000 GP (700 GP per week); 20 Sailors, assuming that's a 1st-Level profession, would be 240 GP/week, though that wouldn't include officers.

Eh. I guess it would depend on having a ship yourself and hiring a crew vs. hiring a ship to do your bidding.

aco175

Legend
Don't forget linkboy's cool minion power of sheding light in a 5 square burst. That alone must be worth something. Torches ain't cheap you know, oh wait...

Remove ads