• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Historical European Weapon Equivalents

aramis erak

Legend
I included it for clarity as a number of folks were asking for the bastard sword when 5e released. :) To be honest, many of the terms we use for specific weapons and categorisation thereof are modern inventions.

Several are Gygaxisms. Many of the armor terms are Gygaxisms.

radja

First Post
Good list, I'm only missing the Kriegsmesser in the twohanded category (good job on including various forms of the Messer)

edit: While I was out for lunch, I remembered another missing weapon: the hurlbat. A full metal throwing axe with more pointy bits.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
"Hurlbat."

My first mental image was of trying to throw that fuzzy, winged mammal. Assuming the wee beastie was alive and unbound, hitting a target with it would be as problematic as herding cats.

On the other hand, hurling bat guano would be nastier than a taunt.

I'm still chuckling.

Last edited:

MacMathan

Explorer
If I recall correctly, there was some dart usage by the Gaelic kerns/ceithernach up until the approximately 16th century. Of course it can be hard to tell from historical references the difference in a dart, javelin or short spear sometimes.

Remove ads