History, Mythology, Art and RPGs

Galloglaich

First Post
That's something D&D's AC-based system does oddly well, except that many of the attacks -- magic weapons, dragon bites, giant-thrown boulders, etc. -- should be able to overcome armor more directly.

What I mean is, in terms of how weapons (or other damaging effects) work, there is no differentiation between going through or going around the armor. In D20 / OGL you usually have one variation or the other, either AC, where armor effectively is always part of avoiding being hit (tied in with your fighting defense), or as damage reduction, where armor is always ablative. Neither system really makes sense in isolation, IMO.

In the sense that having someone try to stab you with a knife in a grapple, being shot at by a crossbow, shot at by a death-ray, stepping on a bear trap, having a swarm of spiders fall all over you, and falling off a roof all interact with armor differently, in terms of role-playing, verisimilitude and cinematic visualization. That's why I think it makes more sense to model both coverage and protection.

(that way you don't have to pretend that a 'breast plate' is an entire suit of armor).

G.

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
Some guy on myArmoury did a bunch of tests on the effectiveness of maille. The tests were not conducted with any sort of scientific rigour, but the results are still a good baseline.

myArmoury.com - Riveted Maille and Padded Jack Tests (very photo intensive)

Yeah that is a very good test, Myarmoury is in general an excellent resource for people interested in European swords and weapons of all types, both actual antiques (they have a fatnastic gallery of antique weapons) and a really useful guide to modern replicas including dozens of in-depth reviews, particularly of higher end swords.

I'm going to try to do a little blog on swords and some other weapons later and I'll be discussing Myarmoury a bit further.

G.

Galloglaich

First Post
Speaking of Myarmoury there was a good thread on Women Warriors on there recently, which I got a few new cool characters for my "Dilbert in the Dungeon" list, including:

Isabel of Conches 1100s AD
Female Norman Knight and Noblewoman who fought at the battle of Hastings

Isabel of Conches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tomoe Gozen 1157-1241
A female Japanese Samurai (!!)

Tomoe Gozen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hangaku Gozen Another Female Samurai from the 12th Century
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangaku_Gozen

Onorata Rodiana 1472
A really interesting character, a female Italian fresco painter and artist who after thwarting an attempted rape, became a Condotierre (mercenary soldier) and eventually a Condotierre Capitan!
« Onorata nacqui, onorata vissi, ed onorata muoio »
“Honored I was born, honored I lived, and honored I die”
Female Firebrands and Reformers - Onorata Rodiana
Onorata Rodiana
Onorata Rodiani - Wikipedia

Catalina de Erauso (1585-1650)

Basque Female soldier, assassin, conquistador, duelist
Catalina de Erauso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Destreza Translation & Research Project

Here is the Myarmoury thread:

myArmoury.com - Historical examples of female warriors...

I also have added one truly remarkable and colorful male figure,
Götz von Berlichingen (c. 1480 – 23 July 1562; unabbreviated form: Gottfried von Berlichingen) a German knight (Deutscher Ritter), and Mercenary. With one iron hand.
Götz von Berlichingen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
What I mean is, in terms of how weapons (or other damaging effects) work, there is no differentiation between going through or going around the armor. In D20 / OGL you usually have one variation or the other, either AC, where armor effectively is always part of avoiding being hit (tied in with your fighting defense), or as damage reduction, where armor is always ablative. Neither system really makes sense in isolation, IMO.

I try not to look at the attack roll and damage roll in d20 as separate things really representing what they’re named after.

But the point I want to make is that GURPS had separate “passive defense” and “damage resistance” for armor. (Though I may be misremembering the exact terms.)

Though, I believe they eliminated PD in GURPS 4/e.

Galloglaich

First Post
I try not to look at the attack roll and damage roll in d20 as separate things really representing what they’re named after.

Well when you've got things like touch effects for say, paralysis or various spells, you've got critical hits based on weapon type, defensive spell and natural effects (stoneskin, protection from arrows etc.) which resist certain type of attacks and etc. that level of abstraction can get tricky to keep up with.

What we did with the codex was to change the focus of the abstraction to assume that a hit was a hit, a miss was a miss, and try to let it all work cinematically. I think it works at least for slightly more 'grim and gritty' type games.

But the point I want to make is that GURPS had separate “passive defense” and “damage resistance” for armor. (Though I may be misremembering the exact terms.)

Though, I believe they eliminated PD in GURPS 4/e.
GURPS is a great system, but to me their combat system didn't have the kind of dynamic natural feel of the ebb and flow of a fight that I wanted any more than standard 3.5 DnD did (though I haven't tried GURPS 4/e)

Typically in most systems, if you have armor as damage reduction there is no way around it. IIRC in GURPS the way to kind of beat the system was to go around it, but it got ridiculously easy at higher skill levels to throw the proverbial dagger into the eye-slit.

I don't want to make an extra roll every time to determine hit-location, don't want to do a ton of arithmetic, don't want to look up charts, and I don't want for there to only be one way to win a fight (because that's not how a fight really works) I don't think fighting should be routine or predictable in an RPG.

So in our system you can punch through the armor (helps to have armor-piercing weapons but you can also try for critical hits by putting multiple dice into one attack) go around it with a bypass attempt (harder the more coverage the armor has but never impossible) or even take the armor apart by attacking it directly, all basically driven by whatever the player wants to do, neither constraining their options nor forcing them to get into detail they don't need.

G.

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
She's a bit later than the typical D&D milieu, but one more:

Julie d'Aubigny 1670-1707
French duelist, opera singer, and shameless flirt.
Julie d'Aubigny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah she's awesome and an ideal archetype for any kind of swashbuckling / pirates / three musketeers type game. She's in the original list, in the OP, there are two other links on her there which have a bit more detail than the Wiki page.

One of my all-time favorite historical characters :)

G.

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
One argument I have heard many, many times from people who don't like low fantasy, is that they don't want a boring game about some peasant who has fleas and dies of the plague anonymously at age 27. They want to be a hero, someone remarkable, someone who transcended the mundane. Most of all they don't want to be anything like reality, which for some of us is like the life of Dilbert. We don't want to play Dilbert in the Dungeon.

Well, if you prefer high fantasy that is ok, but as someone who enjoys history, I wanted to point out that there are rather quite a few remarkable real people from history who had adventures seldom matched in any Fantasy Novel, DnD game, or all the WoW games ever played, and they were a long way from Dilbert. In fact, many of the people on this list were IMOgreater warriors than Conan, wiser than King Arthur, and more ruthless and intrepid than Elric.

I wholeheartedly agree.

If someone from another world were to read stories of the real lives of some of the most unusual people from human history they would be forced to conclude that such tales were so fantastic as to be utterly unbelievable.

It is not the world in which outstanding men and women live, it is not magical powers, or bizarre cultures, it is that they carry within them an absolute fearlessness to be whatever they desire.

Few fictional characters will ever match real men and women for real greatness, or true heroism.

By the way, I like the historical approach you seem to be taking. I really do, since that is the method I favor, with my group gaming out of Constantinople circa 800 AD, as a milieu base of operations. I also like the emphasis on art and mythology - art, iconography, the Saints, historical personages and events, mythology, real world religion, cultures, etc. all playing a large role in my setting and the campaigns of my players (as far as our D&D game goes).

I have been unable to review every post in this thread, and so maybe I have missed something. And I look forward to reviewing this thread later in more detail.

One thing though that I was curious about. The Codex Martialis, from what I can tell so far is seems a very interesting resource, and I think I'd probably enjoy reviewing it (along with some of your other links, like you postings on Durer), however, and I'm assuming you are playing D&D, or a modified semi-historical D&D hybrid like we do, but many, many combat situations in D&D, and in my game are not duel type situations, but are actually small team tactical engagements. Occasionally we even engage in large scale wargame skirmishes, say my player's (what today would be called Special Forces) Byzantine Team versus the Bulgars, the Vikings, the Goths, the Muslims, or the Persians.

I very much appreciate the ideas you are presenting, and I understand your purpose, but let me ask you a question, and I'm not in any way trying to bait you. But have you ever been in combat? (I do not mean fencing matches or personal duels, but in even small group combat situations?)

If you have then you know group combat, even small group endearments are a very different situation than personal duels. (I have nothing against personal duels. I have noticed however that they are rare in D&D.)

So, what I'm driving at is this, is your system applicable to non-personal, grouped combat situations? (Because in group combat people act differently than when they are engaged in personal combat, even personal combat duels to the death. Let me give an example. In a personal combat situation maneuver for positing is a very different situation that when maneuvering for position where you are potentially surrounded in close quarters with enemies flanking you as well as to the fore. A solid maneuver for repositioning in a duel would lead to exposure and quick death in close quarters group combat. That would be true if you are talking hand to hand weaponry, or engagement with more or less modern weaponry. As an instance of example, with hand to hand weapons in a duel one might miss and then face counter-attack, for which one could reasonably reset to receive a counter-thrust because your focus of attention is limited to a single opponent. In close quarters group combat a miss against your intended target might have multiple effects, it might go unnoticed by those around you, friend and foe, your miss might expose you to an unengaged enemy to your rear including a longbowman or crossbowman, your intended target miss might strike a nearby combatant, including an ally, it might smack into an unobserved obstacle and loosen your weapon from your grip or endanger your balance, it might draw the attention of an attacker who is seeking his next enemy to engage, you might charge - through the momentum of your miss - into another combatant you did not know was there until he was struck, and so forth and so on. Group combat is a very different procedure with very different effects and concerns from man-to-man, single issue duels.) I put up a thread of my own to deal with some of these general issues: The Tactical Repertoire
(So I like your emphasis on realism in combat. And I'm going to be writing an essay on Real World Historical Elements in the development of Milieu and Adventure Design.)

I know in D&D it is basically turn based really, with it seeming to break down group combat into a series of, generally speaking, man-to man encounters, with one party acting, then the other reacting, and so forth and so on, so game combat presents the tactical engagement illusion that this (a man-to-man duel) is what group combat is really like. But I'm just curious, is your system designed for the duel primarily, or for small teams combat, large scale combat, or does it, for lack of a better game and analogical term in comparison to real life, "scale differently according to circumstance?" Does it model group combat as group combat really is, or as closely as game mechanics may allow for such realities?

If so this would be of real interest to me as a simulation tool.
If it is just based upon the combat paradigm of the man-to-man duel then that is fine too, I'd probably still be interested in trying to understand how your system works. But if it really did simulate actual group combat situations better than the current system (I know it is only a game and made for the ease of most players, it is not in any real way designed to simulate actual combat aspects, or to in any way mimic the maneuvers or activities of a real battlespace) then I'd be interested in seeing that kind of thing.

Anyway I enjoyed the thread, what I've been able to review thus far, and I appreciate the angle you have taken in regards to history. I hope your product has taken into consideration combat potentialities in and around the Eastern Roman Empire, as well as Western Europe and Japan. If not I hope you will consider investigating that aspect of world combat as well.

In any case this is a very good thread.
I've enjoyed it so far, and wouldn't mind seeing more like it.

Good luck and Godspeed with your project.
I've got to hit the sack.

Remove ads