Hit dice with no level adjustment?

Empirate

First Post
The worst offenders, in my book, are both the very low and the very high LA creatures. Vampires have LA +8, making them unplayable, period. Nothing more to say about that. On the other hand, Hobgoblins are just ever-so-slightly better than Humans or what-have-you. However, since the only measure we have is a scale whose sole points of measurement are exptremely far apart (i.e.character level), Hobgoblins PCs get stabbed in the face with a level adjustment, which makes them all but worthless. Would you rather be a first level Barbarian with Darkvision, +2 Dex, +2 Con, or a second level Barbarian with a bonus feat and five bonus skillpoints? Yeah, right.

What's needed to work out level adjustment rules that don't suck is one of the following:

a. a much finer measure for gauging a race's power, which might express itself in certain restrictions where ability score point buy is concerned, or XP gain per encounter, or social drawbacks to not being [most prevalent race], or increased equipment cost for more unusual anatomy, or a metagame resource that's decreased for more powerful races (e.g., reduced action points if you use those), etc. This requires massive tweaking and fine-tuning so nobody feels their favorite race, be it Slyths or Whisper Gnomes or Dusklings, got handed the short end of the stick.

OR

b. a sudden, revelatory insight into the already established fact that the game is not balanced, and some races (and classes, and feats, and spells...) are better than others, and screw minor-benefits-for-major-suckage packages like the +1LA Hobgoblin! This is the sane approach.

peerwon

First Post
Thank you to everyone who responded. Especially irdeggman for the links to the wizards articles, since those are actually exactly what i needed.
Also thanks for being speedy.

Remove ads