• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit point recovery

craftyrat

First Post
I'm working on the rules for a low magic campaign, and how to handle healing. I already have modified the heal skill so that it can be used to restore hit points (with signficant limitations). But I am also thinking of a post fight recovery system.

If hit points represent (at least to a certain degree) the ability avoid damage, why not allow players to regain them after every fight? Something like: if you rest for at least 5 minutes within 1 minute after the end of an encounter, you immediately recover 25% of the damage taken in that encounter.

craftyrat

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There are numerous mechanics now which allow a party to heal itself up to 50% total HP between each fight. I'd use something like that. You can heal up to 50% for free between fights (with 5 minutes rest or whatever).

Cheers, -- N

Simm

First Post
You could also graft in the reserve point system from Iron Heros so that you can recover fully but total recovery per day is limited.

I am using a reserve hit point system slightly modified.. the reserve pool has a total of CON + level. I have found it works well for the low levels and I don't expect it to complicate issues at the higher levels.

With the Touch of Healing Reserve Feat that I expect the Cleric PC to pick up, this keep everybody better prepared for multiple encounters per day..

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Nifft said:
There are numerous mechanics now which allow a party to heal itself up to 50% total HP between each fight. I'd use something like that. You can heal up to 50% for free between fights (with 5 minutes rest or whatever).

Cheers, -- N
We had a Dragon Shaman in our group, and the 'heal up to 50%' ability made the next combat really deadly. Several PCs died because half hit points weren't enough to take a few hits. And these are players who routinely have had encounters with monsters in several previous games that do the one-PC-per-round kind of damage, and had built accordingly, even though this game wasn't like the earlier ones.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kmart Kommando said:
We had a Dragon Shaman in our group, and the 'heal up to 50%' ability made the next combat really deadly.

That's why it's free. :]

I expect the party to invest in some wands of cure light wounds -- the Healing Touch ability is just there to take the edge off their healing expense account, and after 2nd level, the Lay On Hands ability may be enough to patch up after a few small fights (or one big one).

Cheers, -- N

Quartz

Hero
You might consider giving everyone Fast Healing 1, but only out of combat, and not below 0 HP (or 10 HP or whatever you set). This represents people catching their breath but means that it doesn't cope with life-threatening wounds. It also means that healing spells in combat are still needed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads