• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HMS Victorius

Starfox

Hero
Making a few ounces of fine-grained gunpowder using mortar and pestle is pretty simple. Making barrels and barrels of coarse-grained powder suitable for 18C guns is something else entirely. But one of the reasons armies switched from bows to guns was that gunpowder was easier to make and (above all) transport.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
So. Would Gunpowder even fire on Greyhawk? 4th and 5th give us rules for basic/simple firearms, and do nothing to limit their "invention" on any world/anywhere other than the DMs preference. Earlier versions of the game, and articles in Dragon magazine and several websites like this one (varforums, VN, etc) and there is a huge miasma which talk specifically about firearms, some say they work, some don't. Some cite people who used to wrok at TSR, other cite articles in Dragon Magazine saying it does work. WHish is it? DMO?

Starfox

Hero
Do we need a consensus on this? Can't each campaign find its own solution? Its not very likely there will ever be a canon for cannon in Greyhawk. One advantage with an abandoned setting is that each of us can do what we like with it, with no risk of being "overwritten" by "official" history.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
I have long allowed firearms, in various type in all of my campaigns. I only asked the question, as there seemed to be some issue with gunpowder functionaing at all.

Starfox

Hero
There have always been those who strongly opposed firearms and gunpowder in their fantasy. Ravenloft had 18th century settings, but with crossbows.

Personally, I feel fantasy is moving forward in history, moving closer to a pastoral version of steampunk. I have firearms in my games, but early firearms haven't had much attraction on my players.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
I have been using the Plateau of Eternity from the Arduin Grimiore, so my group has been to several different worlds, planes and time periods. They no longer bat an eye at anything.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In my otherwise-mostly-medieval world I have Trafalgar-era ships of the line existing in some places, only firing stacked ballistae instead of cannon as gunpowder doesn't work.

What everyone's so far missed here, however, is that the ship is by far the second-most-valuable thing going across in that typhoon. Claire, the enchanted Apple 2e, is worth a hundred such ships to someone who can figure out how to make it work...and with enough divination spells and hard work (or just a well-worded wish), someone inevitably will.

Lan-"on the uproll...FIRE!"-efan

Garchomp445

First Post
Could someone explain what Claire is, please?

This is definitely an intriguing idea, but have you considered letting them spend some time in the 1780s first to allow for the drastic cultural transition? It'd be quite the change if their characters are supposed to be from the 1780s, and even lead to some fun roleplaying where they have to figure how different even basic supplies are from their homeland.

Last edited:

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
And what is a Claire?

That, my friend is the $64,000.00 question – and a question which requires me to travel back in time. Back when I was a younger lad, my very first gaming group was comprised of three, high school aged employees of the long since torn down Sunset Drive In, in Bellevue, Washington. We would play on one of the prep tables behind the concession stand after the main feature began. One or another of us would assist the occasional customer that would wander up for a soda, a pizza or change for the Pac Man or Galaga machines, taking a break during intermission – and then play well into the wee hours after the cars were all gone and the lot and stand was cleaned up. One of the three of us was a couple years older and was our DM. It was in the early days of our game's popularity, and complexity - this said - we still had quite a bit of fun. The Apple 2e became a part of our game, as sitting on the small desk in the same back area where the prep tables were WAS an old Apple 2e. It seemed a perfect destiny that the computer – which at the time was state of the art, would become a part of our game.

Our DM had created an elaborate warren of caves, in which we were searching for the elusive and quite evil Warlord Talon! The famed Assassin! Various levels, encounters, tricks and traps later found us in a large, subterranean cavern, with a massive vaulted ceiling – that fully enclosed a lake, deep beneath the surface. A basalt stone pier jutted out into that lake, and tied to this pier stood a massive, sprawling vessel. The largest ship our characters had ever seen. On the transom was a word, in two foot tall, polished brass letters, that none of us understood, as none of could read English. We climbed aboard, and found it seeming larger yet, with multiple decks, holds, spaces, quarters, and she was fully loaded with all conceivable supplies one would expect of a late 1800s major Ship of the Line.

Except crew

We were alone

The one thing that struck us each as mysterious, odd, and even scary – was instead of a ship’s wheel, a small table, bolted to the deck held… an Apple 2e. Unintelligible symbols were upon, and seemingly within a strange dark glass faced box; and with it was a low, flat object that we eventually intuited somehow controlled the device. Our Thief, Triko, realized a symbol on the flat device, matched one of those which blinked within the murky glass. As he pressed what at the time he did not know was the “enter” key, we all could hear Warlord Talon’s laughter echoing about the chamber as the object, the massive ship and all of us vanished from the cavern.

Claire was a magically augmented, and cursed, Apple 2e computer. At the time its only function was to bring the characters and the vessel to this world, from whatever world that we were on - we hadn't named it actually, and I don’t think there WAS a Greyhawk outside of E.G.G.’S garage yet - anyway, we found ourselves on Earth, circa 1900, somewhere in the Mediterranean. Here we were, on a British Ship of the Line, fully stocked, in pristine condition, with no crew whatsoever, and us: two elves (who were automatically fighter/magic user combos), a dwarf (fighter), a cleric and a thief (both human). We spotted 2 vessels in the distance, closing. We later found out they were Spanish Navy. The first deck gun firing at us was enough to get us into a panic. One of the Elves, Uriah by name had a very mysterious, potent magical spear called the Spear of Ra. He “called upon its power” and touched it to the micro-computer.

Giving it sentience

And power

Just as the Spaniards closed, Claire (as she would let them know her name was)… vanished.
We had many an adventure over those early years of Basic, and Expert DnD, and our many voyages upon the Victorius. I left her behind when I joined the Navy just out of High School, and haven’t really given her much thought over the years…

Talon, who is now an evil God of Assassins, has found the now ancient Claire and has again bent her to his will. Traveling through time and space he has found the Victorius once more… to start the cycle anew.

Last edited:

Garchomp445

First Post
Wow. That's quite the story. Actually, it would be kind of neat to have this in the OP, since it explains a lot of the backstory. Possibly in a spoiler tag to prevent people from getting overwhelmed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads