D&D 5E Hoard of the Dragon Queen: As it Turns out, it's Pretty Good (so far)

Steel_Wind

Legend
I should tell you the designer is allowed to sell digital maps now. I just all the player versions so if you want them you can get them. Remember there is more then 1 page of maps just in case you miss some.

http://theredepic.bigcartel.com/

Well, that link seems to handle all the substantial complaints of those who want to run ToD via VTT at a stroke.

Doesn't mean that there won't be some whining about it, but there will always be whining. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen - 1st Impressions

My Chronicles: Pathfinder Podcast Co-host and I played 5E yesterday (Azmyth was the DM).

Now, in case you didn't grasp the essence of my inherent bias, I'm about as hardcore a Pathfinder player as it gets, so I must confirm I was a little iffy on the 5E system. But I certainly didn't mind it and I had fun. So, not to worry on that score.

My 1st level PHB custom Wizard (Human Wizard built with the Elemental Adept: Fire feat) was kicking ass and taking names with Sleep and Fire Bolt so much that there seemed few compelling reasons to even consider casting any other spells. This fact seemed to highlight a potential play balance issue. Moreover, the lack of a range disadvantage on the Fire Bolt cantrip seemed unfair to the melee characters in the party, too. As cantrips go, Fire Bolt has to be the most powerful cantrip spell in any version of D&D I ever recall playing. If it was a 1st level spell, you'd still consider preparing it. That cleaves pretty close to the heart of the matter.

And yes, I was missing Detect Magic as a cantrip and suddenly wondering where the hell I was going to be buying all these pearls to be able to cast Identify.

We proceeded from the caravan and some home-rolled add-ins to the adventure to make that segment of the adventure more interesting (what Azmyth added in to all that I cannot say for sure as I am playing this adventure and have not read it.) We ended our 1st session in the keep before the local Lord after a series of battles in the streets of Greenest. We enjoyed Jared Blando's map of the town, as we always enjoy his maps.

In terms of production values, I thumbed through the book and skimmed it only briefly with my eyes to get a feel for the maps and art work. I am playing in this one, so I deliberately did not read anything or look too closely. My very brief impression was that Hoard of the Dragon Queen is on all fours with any other Pathfinder AP volume in terms of production values. One is hardcover and the other softcover, but in terms of art quality, layout and look and feel, they are remarkably similar. Due to the fact that WotC does not have the same production schedule constraints as Paizo does with their AP line, WotC's book features more playable game content in its 96 pages, too. So that's All Good.

I further understand that the first three "chapters" of Vol 1 are available for play as part of the D&D Adventurer's League OP program. So if you are looking your self to get in on a game and get a feel for the AP, that might be a good place to start.

As between 5E and Pathfinder, I don't play in home-rolled campaigns; rather, we principally play in Pathfinder Adventure Paths which serve as the base for any customization that the GM may add to the game. The game rules, to me, are essentially system hardware.

That said, the real comparison is not in the "system hardware", as it was in the system software: the AP itself. And Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Vol 1 in the Tyranny of Dragons had a nice solid start which we all enjoyed in an 8 hour session. I can't say that I really want to play 5E in preference to Pathfinder. That would be an outright lie. But I do want to play Tyranny of Dragons, so I'm okay with playing 5E in order to do that.

To me, it's not the "game system console" that matters so much to me as the exclusives that go with that console. Tyranny of Dragons is a "console exclusive" game that I want to play.

To continue with this analogy, I have multiple 360s and PS3s -- and multiple XBox 1's and PS4s, too. I refuse to make that choice and cut myself out of playing an exclusive game I want to play. Many others here will make that choice with a different outcome for their own reasons, which may be entirely justifiable and reasonable to them. But that isn't me.

Objectively, I see the principal marketing problem with 5E is that the game is simply too expensive compared to its competition. Never mind the apologia posted here on ENWorld by some fans of 5E, it's simply a much more expensive game to get in on than the main competition. Similarly, the Tyranny of Dragons AP books are also far more expensive compared to Pathfinder's Adventure Path line.

A big enough price difference to matter? Well, the subjective answer to that that depends who you are asking. To me? No. But objectively, overall? Yes. It will matter.

Please do not misunderstand me, for my own part, I'm a middle- aged professional with a job that allows me to over-indulge in my hobbies, so these issues aren't all that big a deal to me. It's my hobby and I'll buy what I want to buy, thank-you-very-much.

Thing is, I'm not the target demographic to worry about. WotC can confidently guess that if I'm going to buy 5E, I'd buy it if the books were $20, $30, $40, $50 or even $60 each. Get right down to it, that's probably true when it comes to me -- and many of you here who are like me, too.

It doesn't mean I don't have my druthers and won't shop Amazon vs retail to get a better deal on these products. But the point is, I'm a lot less sensitive to price than others, and I have a credit card -- so I have a choice.

For those in the 15-25 age category? Different story, especially when due to credit card issues, that market does not have full access to Amazon.com.

Whatever the case, I look forward to playing and finishing Tyranny of Dragons. I'm in.

wpn_productshot_hoardofthedragonqueen.jpg
Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Vol 1 of Tyranny of Dragons -- Amazon $22.19

Last edited:

And yes, I was missing Detect Magic as a cantrip and suddenly wondering where the hell I was going to be buying all these pearls to be able to cast Identify.

Don't panic! You only need one. The identify spell does not state that the material components are consumed in the casting. Get one feather and one 100gp pearl and keep them handy. :D

Steel_Wind

Legend
Don't panic! You only need one. The identify spell does not state that the material components are consumed in the casting. Get one feather and one 100gp pearl and keep them handy. :D

From PHB 5E, Page 203:

"If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell."

Accordingly, the material component assumption in 5E is that if the spell does not explicitly state the components are consumed, the components are not consumed.

Good to know! I'm not really sure how this is a real improvement over the spellcraft skill though. Unless the dice roll mechanic used s to identify an item are viewed as mostly all nonsense after a battle anyway. (Which might be a fair assessment by some).

Identify is a ritual spell, so as long as that spell is scribed in a spellbook and the Wizard caster has a pearl and feather in her or her pouch, whenever the party camps, the Wizard will just identify all magic items and the details of that ritual casting are presumably hand waved by the DM. Annoying at the very beginning of a campaign, but not later.

I guess this really means that a new magic item isn't terribly useful during the course of an adventuring day when found; only after some period of rest. If you want to identify it, you will blow through many of your active buffs. (Camp for 10 minutes, minimum).

On Firebolt. It limits out at 120 ft so it has a good range but don't forget you still have disadvantage when attacking with it if an enemy is within 5 ft of you. Added on unlike a bow you can't shoot outside of your range at disadvantage because you just can't shoot out of your range.

Anyway I hope you tell use more cause I am interested in finding out how your encounter with Cyanwrath goes.

rastus_burne

First Post
Nice summary. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it when it's released. I've loved the Starter Set (and adventure within) so I can imagine this saga will be enjoyable too. So far I'm really impressed with the presentation and cartography.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
marketing problem with 5E is that the game is simply too expensive compared to its competition. Never mind the apologia posted here on ENWorld by some fans of 5E, it's simply a much more expensive game to get in on than the main competition. Similarly, the Tyranny of Dragons AP books are also far more expensive compared to Pathfinder's Adventure Path line.

This is true, but - oddly enough - Tyranny of Dragons is still a bit more affordable than an Adventure Path. Tyranny is two books covering 15 levels. A Pathfinder AP is six books covering about 15 levels. So while the individual books are less expensive, having six of them does rather inflate the total cost.

I'm very curious as to how many people will play through Tyranny using just the Basic rules. Around here, we're all frantically waiting for the PHB to arrive...

Cheers!

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20741]Steel_Wind[/MENTION] To set the record straight about pricing...

Cost of 5e Adventure Path = $60
(Hoard of the Dragon Queen $30 + Rise of Tiamat $30)

Cost of PF Adventure Path = $96
(Six adventures at $16 each thanks to 30% off cover with Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription)

Cost of 5e Baseline Rules = $150
(PHB $50 + MM $50 + DMG $50)

Cost of PF Baseline Rules = $90
(Core Rulebook $50 + Bestiary $40)

Cost of 5e Rules + Adventure Path = $210

Cost of PF Rules + Adventure Path = $186

In all probability a roughly $24 difference, and that gap closes if a PF DM doesn't have a subscription or a 5e DM gets by without the DMG and just uses DM rules in the Basic PDF.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
If you are including the subscription discount in the totals, you should probably include the Amazon discounts for the 5th edition books. I would wager the consumers utilizing those two discounts are about even currently, with the release-hype of D&D

Which keeps Pathfinder at $186 and puts 5e at $120. That's a pretty strong incentive into at least trying 5th edition and Tyranny.

The other big contenders are Star Wars and Numenara. Their pricing is high-end, to say the least, and they are doing pretty well for themselves against a similar demographic.

Steel_Wind

Legend
@Steel_Wind To set the record straight about pricing...

Look, quit the Fun with Figures in the guise of "setting anybody straight". You aren't fooling anybody with that stuff. That's pure advocacy and spin.

$150 (5E) retail vs $90 (PF) for the basic rulebooks for each RPG is a significant price disparity for those respective game systems. If you want to jam you head in the sand with a glurk and pretend otherwise and start playing games with what you count up and don't count? Go ahead. You aren't fooling anybody. That is pure advocacy you just engaged in. I do that every day in a courtroom and I know when the other guy is in spin mode. It doesn't escape me.

If you cast your eyes north of the border, the comparative retail cost is even worse. The cost of the PF Core Rulebook and Bestiary in Canada is the same for Pathfinder $49 and $39 for the Core Rulebook and Bestiary, respectively. For 5Es books, it's far worse though. The retail cost of those books in Canada (where I live) is $58.00 each. Add in HST at 13% and the retail math is:

($49.99 + $39.99) x 1.13% = $101.68
($58.00 + $58.00 + $58.00) x 1.13% = $196.62

That's the difference in the retail price of the two basic games game in Canada where I live. Is that a significant disparity in price for these games? Of course it is. Stop it, ok?

To compare the price of 6 x 96 page APs for Paizo at $22.99 retail price each to the 2 x 96 page books by WotC at $29.99 each and pretend they are equivalent products which provide equivalent play experiences and length of enjoyment/pride of ownership is also a plainly false comparison.

When you are the one doing the buying, my guess is when you bought six books in one case and only two of them in the other case? I'm guessing you noticed. When every book is 96 pages in length, and the interior contents of all of them are practically identical in layout and art style using the same map artists -- this isn't something you are going to fail to notice, either.

They aren't the same total number of products; one of them has six books and the other has two. Inside, they look the same. One has 3 times as many pages as the other; 3 times as many books.

If you want to like 5E, like it. If you want to buy it - buy it. I bought both. I'm not making that choice. I'm not asking anybody to do so.

But I am not going to pretend that there is not a significant marketing issue with new gamers when it comes to the cost of admission to 5E. And I'm not going to let you do that either under the guise of "setting me straight".

Remove ads