D&D 5E Hoard of the Dragon Queen (D&D Encounters version)

Nikmal

First Post
In the "latest" of the basic rules in PDF format. There is NO bestiary listed there. In the Encounters version of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen again the basic monsters (not the 5 listed in the back of the PDF) are NOT in the Encounters version.

So it leaves me to believe you will NEED to purchase the Hard Copy to get the full list of Creatures that are part of the encounter/episodes listed in the Encounters PDF version of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen. If this IS the case it will piss me off to no end.

I can't find anywhere in the PDF itself as to where the monsters stats are layed out for the GM at all. I have seen the GM kit at my local FLGS and yet it is NOT in there either.

So where are they at, are we supposed to use our best guess? Are we supposed to improvise these things or are we going to get a true answer?

I am REALLY disappointed in this so far.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I wonder if they'll be in the Basic Rules when it gets updated with monsters.
They will be. Mike Mearls has said that all adventures they publish will either have the stats in the Basic rules or in the adventure itself. The Monster Manual won't be necessary to run any of the published adventures.

The update with the monsters is scheduled for tomorrow. Though Mike Meals has said because they are in crunch mode for the DMG that it might be a couple of days late.

WitchyD

Explorer
They will be. Mike Mearls has said that all adventures they publish will either have the stats in the Basic rules or in the adventure itself. The Monster Manual won't be necessary to run any of the published adventures.

The update with the monsters is scheduled for tomorrow. Though Mike Meals has said because they are in crunch mode for the DMG that it might be a couple of days late.

Sweet. I'm planning on getting the published adventures but not the MM immediately ('cause money), so this is great to hear. Thanks!

Nikmal

First Post
If they put it in the Basic rules guide then the players themselves will have access to the specific bestiary that the GM's will have access to. That makes little sense to me. I know that they will be able to have access to the Monster Manual when IT comes out but it is not the same. This bestiary will have exact information for the creatures in the adventure.

Why doesn't it make sense? The Basic Set is just that, the basic rules to play the game, in it's entirety, from level 1-20, with character rules, how to play, and the monsters to populate a game. Players can just as easily purchase the Monster Manual, if you're concerned that they'll sneak a peak at the monsters -- if they're the type to do that, they'll do it regardless of where the stats are.

Jhaelen

First Post
Hey, quick question: Is the blue dragon immune to lightning, or merely resistant?
Which reminds me:
Why, oh why does D&D still have these stupid color-coded dragons? I assume their color also still dictates their alignments? This is just so stupid.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Which reminds me:
Why, oh why does D&D still have these stupid color-coded dragons? I assume their color also still dictates their alignments? This is just so stupid.
It's a sacred cow that I wouldn't dare to touch, where I designing D&D. The color-coded dragons are just too iconic.

I like to have a little variance in draconic attitudes (not all reds are proud to a fault, for instance), but I like having an archetype to deviate from (or play up).

Remove ads