• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hobby (Model R&R) Scale of DDM

Modoc

First Post
Does anyone know what hobby scale works with DDM for in-game use? HO scale seems a little to small. The reason I am asking is that you can buy hobby scale supplies (trees, rocks, etc) fairly cheap at most major hobby/craft stores and I want to take advantage of the cost savings.

Modoc

kenobi65

First Post
Here's the scales of the popular train sizes:

N 1/160
HO 1/87
S 1/64
O 1/43

If a 28mm mini were in the following scales, this is how tall it'd equate to as a "human":

1/43 -> 3' 11"
1/64 -> 5' 11"
1/87 -> 8'

So, they're actually pretty much S scale. (BTW, toy diecast cars like "Hot Wheels" are also roughly 1/64 scale, in case you're curious.)

That said, S scale is not a tremendously popular scale in model railroading (in the U.S., the most popular is HO, followed by O, N, and then S, IIRC). If you're looking at scenery options (trees, rocks, etc.), HO trees are going to be small trees, O trees are going to be big trees. :)

Modoc

First Post
If your assumption of 1/43 scale is correct, It looks like "O" scale is the winner. Can anyone else elaborate on this?

kenobi65

First Post
Modoc said:
If your assumption of 1/43 scale is correct, It looks like "O" scale is the winner. Can anyone else elaborate on this?

See above. It's really much closer to 1/64, or S scale.

O scale miniatures (for use in model railroading) are usually closer to 1.5" tall; 28mm are just a shade over an inch.

rgard

Adventurer
Modoc said:
Does anyone know what hobby scale works with DDM for in-game use? HO scale seems a little to small. The reason I am asking is that you can buy hobby scale supplies (trees, rocks, etc) fairly cheap at most major hobby/craft stores and I want to take advantage of the cost savings.

Modoc

The 1/64th looks to be the best equivalent for 28mm D&D minis. Somebody posted above that S gauge is 1/64th.

Thanks,
Rich

Henry

Autoexreginated
Only one problem, though: 1/43 die cast cars look like they'd fit a 28mm figure if it were seated. I picked up some 1/43 cars on sale once for my d20 modern games because they were exactly 2 squares by 3 squares and the pickups 2 x 4 squares, and "looked" right. :)

kenobi65

First Post
Henry said:
Only one problem, though: 1/43 die cast cars look like they'd fit a 28mm figure if it were seated. I picked up some 1/43 cars on sale once for my d20 modern games because they were exactly 2 squares by 3 squares and the pickups 2 x 4 squares, and "looked" right. :)

Interesting. Well, the scales are the scales, and you can see the math above. That said, a lot of manufacturers aren't as slavish to scale as you might expect. I say, if the doohickey looks like it's the right scale, use it, and just use the numbers above as a starting point.

nyrfherdr

First Post
Hey everyone,

1/64 (S) scale is the closest to wargame miniatures at the 28-30mm range.
Unfortunately, with bases and 1"=5' squares, an accurate 1/64th object may not look right.

Henry is 'spot on' when he says that 1/43 scale looks 'right' when playing with 30mm miniatures.

For buildings and vehicles, try to get 1/43 or O scale, you'll be able to use them better in games. For trees, rocks, natural stuff, it matters much less. You're probably going to put it on some kind of base anyway.

I hope that helps.
Game ON!

Remove ads