• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hobby Stores Margins

Gnarl45

First Post
Hi guys,

I have a question for hobby store owners. What kind of margin do you expect to make on the sale of a printed RPG book? Does this margin depend on the volume you order? How many copies of a book do you typically order at a time?

If you're wondering, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting into the RPG business or stick to my current job.

Thanks for your help!

Gnarl

Dartavian

Explorer
You will not even make minimum wage, extremely long hours, no overtime pay or insurance benefits. The competition with Big Box Retailers and Internet sales will steadily deplete you sales. Odds are like most you will be broke and out of business within 3-5 years. Unless you are independently wealthy and have money to burn or have investors with deep pockets, do yourself a favor keep you current job, or find a better one and keep gaming as a “Hobby”, you will enjoy it more.

You will not even make minimum wage, extremely long hours, no overtime pay or insurance benefits. The competition with Big Box Retailers and Internet sales will steadily deplete you sales. Odds are like most you will be broke and out of business within 3-5 years. Unless you are independently wealthy and have money to burn or have investors with deep pockets, do yourself a favor keep you current job, or find a better one and keep gaming as a “Hobby”, you will enjoy it more.

Well that's an awfully pessimistic view. I'd say it's hard to start a FLGS, but not impossible. I've got one locally that's been around for close to a decade and seems to get by. Besides, are Big Box retailers as prevalent in Peru as they are in the US?

Unfortunately, I can't help with the original question. I have a feeling that you're biggest issues in Peru will actually how to be get imported goods and the associated fees and exchange rates.

Last edited:

It's a dead end, in most cases.

Most FLGSs make the majority of their money on sales of Magic cards. Everything else is secondary. It's not because the owners want it to be that way - it's just the only thing that sells well enough these days in a brick-and-mortar game store setting to give them any chance of making rent and paying their bills.

In order to remain competitive, you'll have to provide space for people to play in the store AND put time and money into running tournaments, knowing full well that 99% of the people who use those things are not going to buy anything while they're in the store.

Most of the RPG books you buy and put on the shelf will sit there for a LONG time, eating up a lot of valuable shelf space until they finally sell (if they ever do).

You will be competing with both the Internet and Barnes & Noble when it comes to RPGs, and with Wal-Mart when it comes to selling Magic cards. That's almost impossible to do when it comes to price, so you'll have to have some very strong incentive(s) of some sort to lure people into the store.

You will have a very hard time paying employees, especially if you go above minimum wage. That will cause a high turnover and will not give you great employees, for the most part, particularly when it comes to customer service skills. You will have to work extremely long hours every day, probably seven days a week, to even make a decent stab at it. Remember, the store needs to be open when the customers want to shop, not when you want to work, so you'll have very little time for a social life, sick days, closed days, vacations, etc.

There is a game store owner discussion board on Delphi Forums that delves pretty deeply into the financial realities of this sort of thing.

You should never quit your day job and start a business until you have tested the waters first. Consider going to work in a game store on the weekends for a year first to see what you would really be getting yourself into.

If you are talking about getting into the business of making games, that's a different beast altogether. Very, very, very few game designers make a full-time living at it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's a few game store owners here on EN World who might offer some information. [MENTION=662]thalmin[/MENTION] is one.

McNabb Games

First Post
I've sold my self published RPG, Morgalad Fantasy RPG, to various store owners and they usually purchase from me with a %20 -> %60 discount of the MSRP depending on quantity. This isnt a get rich quick business or industry for that matter. I run my own company McNabb Games which is still very young and it is more about the love and passion of the hobby than making large profits. If you love the work, work hard, network, and stay true to your customers and clients it is a very rewarding life.

Remove ads