D&D 5E Holiday Challenge: Vow of the Silent Knight

Tony Vargas

Legend
Four 3rd-level player characters
Noëlle, The Silent Knight, an elven paladin
The Little Drummer Boy, a sprite
If I were to run this scenario, I'd want to use all pre-gens (a chance to get more seasonal puns in, too), letting a player take the role of the Silent Knight and maybe even Drummer (bard could work, a playable sprite might be pushing it, though I like the visual - maybe a gnome or halfling)...

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If I were to run this scenario, I'd want to use all pre-gens (a chance to get more seasonal puns in, too), letting a player take the role of the Silent Knight and maybe even Drummer (bard could work, a playable sprite might be pushing it, though I like the visual - maybe a gnome or halfling)...

Oh yeah, for sure. I like pre-gens for this sort of thing but didn't have the time to create any. I was rushing to post this scenario as is! My vote is for a gnome for the Little Drummer Boy.

pukunui

Legend
I won't be using pregens. My players much prefer to play their own characters.

[MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION]: If you do come up with a chase for this, please post the details! So far the only chase I've done that was even moderately exciting used the variant chase rules from DDEX2-10 Cloaks and Shadows. I tried using the chase rules in the DMG once, but they proved to still be somewhat ponderous.

Someone upthread mentioned a sleigh. That makes me think of the chase scene in Frozen, where Anna and Kristoff are chased by a pack of wolves while riding a sleigh. That could be fun.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
[MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION]: If you do come up with a chase for this, please post the details! So far the only chase I've done that was even moderately exciting used the variant chase rules from DDEX2-10 Cloaks and Shadows. I tried using the chase rules in the DMG once, but they proved to still be somewhat ponderous.

Someone upthread mentioned a sleigh. That makes me think of the chase scene in Frozen, where Anna and Kristoff are chased by a pack of wolves while riding a sleigh. That could be fun.

The chase rules in the DMG would work fine. Replace the Constitution check for taking the Dash action more than the set number of times and a Dexterity (Stealth) check for quarry escape/evasion with a Land Vehicles check and you're good to go. You can use the Complications table as a reference point to describe more wintry forest challenges that crop up during the chase. PCs who are not driving the vehicle may be able to attack or cast spells at the pursuers, perhaps with some penalty due to the sleigh's instability.

Remove ads