• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Avenger and SR radius

Artoomis

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

Well, sort of, the problem is the grid-square issue, ie that a spell with a 5 foot radius should cover roughly the same area if cast on the center of a square or on the intersecting corners of a grid.

My version covers 5 squares, yours cover 9 squares. If you cast it on the intersecting corner, as you normally should do according to the rules, the spell covers 4 squares.

My version, well it is not really mine, is an approximation to make the life of DM easier.

I agree with you EXCEPT, in this case, you are not casting a spell. When you wield the sword, you get SR in a 5-foot radius. I read that as you get SR 5-foot from you in all directions. This is NOT like a targeted spell that you put on a grid corner.

That, I think, is the intent.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Artoomis said:
I agree with you EXCEPT, in this case, you are not casting a spell. When you wield the sword, you get SR in a 5-foot radius. I read that as you get SR 5-foot from you in all directions. This is NOT like a targeted spell that you put on a grid corner.

That, I think, is the intent.

Agreed, in this particular case, you may (you meaning the original poster) choose which you prefer, and which argumentation has the most merrit in your mind.

I recommed, though, for simplicity, that you apply the same rules whenever you encounter the 5 foot radius. Well that is what I do, anyways.

Last edited:

Marauder

First Post
Thanks all for your advice!

It's a tricky issue and they all have merit. I like the '5 square' approach as it more closely approximates the 4-square intersection effect, but I think I'll just go with the 5-foot radius around the caster (as in all 8 squares). It is definitely simpler this way and is probably more in keeping with the 'intent' of the rule (which I didn't see until someone mentioned it like that).

Problem solved - thanks again everyone!

Artoomis

First Post
Marauder said:
Thanks all for your advice!

It's a tricky issue and they all have merit. I like the '5 square' approach as it more closely approximates the 4-square intersection effect, but I think I'll just go with the 5-foot radius around the caster (as in all 8 squares). It is definitely simpler this way and is probably more in keeping with the 'intent' of the rule (which I didn't see until someone mentioned it like that).

Problem solved - thanks again everyone!

You're welcome. You may send appropriate compenstation to...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads